Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Overstayed and trying to get back in  (Read 1274 times)

Offline mellissa

Overstayed and trying to get back in
« on: November 05, 2013, 05:37:58 am »
My brother in law overstayed by 10 days in March as Immigration had his passport and papers. He left as soon as he got his passport back. Yesterday he tried to borde the plane to come back and they wouldn't let him. So he is still in SA. They told him to call the immgr. office this side to see what is happening.

Anyone know what is happening as he was told he could come back and re apply for the work visa

Offline Rodster

Re: Overstayed and trying to get back in
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 08:25:37 am »
It might be best for him to call INZ in Pretoria then.  :gl:
Jul '13 - Job Application
Oct '13 - Job Offer received
15 Oct '13 - Job Offer accepted
01 Nov '13 - Medicals done
07 Dec '13 - Submit Visa Application
20 Dec '13 - Work to Residence VISA APPROVED!! :)
26 Jan '13 - Landed in Auckland, NZ

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 08:25:37 am »

Offline Siouxzee

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 10:08:54 am »
In this instance might be good to contact one of the immigration consultants on the forum. Peter or Sergey, I think I have the names right.
EOI Submission - December 2010
EOI Selected - December 2010
ITA Received - December 2010
Awaiting Police Clearance
ITA Submitted - 03 March 2011
PR Interview - 15 March 2011
PR Approved - 18 March 2011
Passports sent and then received back - 30 March 2011
Arrive in NZ - 19 June 2011

Offline Adviser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 09:09:01 pm »
He will have to apply for a visitor visa and we have to consider surrounding circumstances whether it is a good idea at all.
I am a licensed immigration adviser in real life. I do love what I do and how I do it. Peace!!!

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 01:31:44 am »
Sorry I can't help, but for others that face this issue in the future, I think it is imperative to get it in writing from NZIS that you can indeed return.   They are also human and make mistakes. 

We phoned INZS twice to query whether we could apply for our PR stickers in Malaysia, as we would be out the country when they came through, and you only have 3 months to do it otherwise the whole application expires.  They said we could do it in Singapore.  Both times.  We thought about getting it in writing but we were in such a rush and didn't.  Get over to Malaysia, contact Singapore and they said an emphatic NO.  You have to be a Singaporean or Malaysian long term resident or citizen.  Luckily we contacted NZIS again, they again said we could, and we  explained that we couldn't and now we were stuck and faced having our entire REsidency permits expire.  In fact, they had already.  Luckily for us they came through for us, phoned Singapore, arranged it, and Singapore made an exception for us. 

Long story short, get it in writing. Always get it in writing .   This little blip could have meant that our two years of residency went down the toilet and I would have been gutted.  I don't know if we would have the emotional strength to do it all over again.  Probably would  :)