Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Packing your bags...  (Read 2199 times)

Offline Sash82

• Dream big, pray hard!
Packing your bags...
« on: November 22, 2013, 07:49:16 am »
Okay, for those who don't know yet, we are submitting our visa applications in just one week and I'm already praying for a kind CO to receive our paperwork and for them to process it quick-quick!  :pray:
Our immigration agent told me about a visa app he did a few weeks ago that was approved in 1 (ONE) day, as in, submitted today, approved tomorrow, yes, it's very rare but it happened!  O0 So we have no idea when we will be  :flight:. It could be in less than a month or only in January. :eyesclosed: Nevertheless, I want to start preparing. I'm not buying a boat load of suitcases yet, and I wont be stocking up on Woolies undies yet, mind you, I might as well start doing that.... :think:

Anywoooo, the reason for my post is:

1.  What did you NOT pack that you regretted afterwards? (the pets that had to stay doesn't count...  :( )

2.  What DID you pack that you were glad you didn't leave behind? (the kids and partner doesn't count! :2funny:)

3.  If you could do it over, what would you not have packed that just wasted space you could've used for something else?

Originally, we planned on taking a container with most of our furniture, (I mean, we work damn hard to buy everything!!) but decided against it, for exactly that reason! Everything we have was bought with money we worked too hard for, neglected our family to earn more to buy more, and in the end, almost losing what is most important to us and what money can't buy....our marriage and children.
So we want NOTHING reminding us of the life we lived in SA. We are only taking 160kg luggage (I think that's how much you can take with 4 x one way tickets??) So if it doesn't fit into a suitcase, it stays.

Please help me with my 'to pack' list!  ;)

1st meeting with agents: 08/07/13
NZQA submitted:07/08/13
Decided on LSD trip: 23/09/13, booked flights 24/09/13, DH arrived in Auckland 29/09/13 - 02/11/13
NZQA feedback received: 30/10/13 (finally!)
Medicals 27/11/13
Received original offer: 28/11/13
3 Year work visa granted: 17/12/13!! Whoohoooo!

Offline yusuf

Re: Packing your bags...
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 12:31:49 am »
If you book with IOM on SAA/Qantas, you will get 2X23kg per passenger over 2 years old.

Many people will advise you differently, but I suggest that you make a trip to Cape Union Mart and buy some good weatherproof jackets for the family. R1000+ might seem like a lot there but the same things branded as Kathmandu and Macpac here will cost you double or triple the price on Sale. During our first month here, we spent $700 at Kathmandu. That was before earning dollars so it didn't feel good at all. Granted, you will come here in summer and may have earned dollars by the time winter arrives.

Repairs are very expensive here, so don't bring anything that is close to the end of its life. Since you're not bringing a container, that should be fine.

I will let you know if I think of anything else.
DIY Residence Application - Roughly 18 months
Arrived in Wellington with Residence - 1st May 2013
Relocated to Auckland - 24th May 2015
PR Approved - 19th Nov 2015

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 12:31:49 am »

Offline Sherelee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 12:02:29 am »

Oh my word, Sash82, a woman after my own heart  :smitten:

Bring your very personal things that cannot be replaced - photographs!!

The Op Shops are so very awesome here and the pre-loved stuff which you can pick up for a song are fantastic.... from cutlery to bedding to clothes, furniture, books, games, jewellery... just everything  :smitten:

:gl2: See you and Bertie soon  :yippee:

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 02:50:33 am »
We only took our personal furniture.  To be honest, I would think seriously about your furniture.  If it is expensive, good stuff, and the cost of replacing it in NZ (Good stuff is $$$$$$$  ) then I would bring it.  Simple things like shelves here are cheap and nasty.  To get an idea, go online to shops like Harvey Norman,  Trade Me, etc and look at prices.  Remember that here in NZ, you wait for sales.  Then it is madness.   But sometimes you can't wait . 

All depends on how much you earn, doesn't it ?  We didn't have any furniture as we came off a boat before we left.  Try and explain that one to customs.   :2funny:

So we have had to start from scratch in the department and the prices are just stupid.  Shelves are my biggest bugbear.  Book shelves and cupboards. 

Underwear from Woolies.  I am down to my last pair since I left SA in Nov 2008  :'(    So that is how long they lasted for me.   Once again, all depends on money.  There is good quality underwear there, you just have to pay for it. 

Good jackets, definitely.  The good ones are expensive even on sales, if you are earning Rands. 

REmember, you can get everything here, but you pay more for better quality.  There seems to be either cheap and nasty or expensive and nice, nothing in the middle, such as nice and not that expensive. 

Offline MartinC

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 02:16:52 pm »

Oh my word, Sash82, a woman after my own heart  :smitten:

Bring your very personal things that cannot be replaced - photographs!!

The Op Shops are so very awesome here and the pre-loved stuff which you can pick up for a song are fantastic.... from cutlery to bedding to clothes, furniture, books, games, jewellery... just everything  :smitten:

:gl2: See you and Bertie soon  :yippee:

He Sherelee, old thread I know but just wanted to know - what are "Op Shops"?

Thanks.

Regards, Martin.

Offline yusuf

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 04:35:26 am »
Op shops are 2nd hand stores.
DIY Residence Application - Roughly 18 months
Arrived in Wellington with Residence - 1st May 2013
Relocated to Auckland - 24th May 2015
PR Approved - 19th Nov 2015

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 04:18:05 am »
We are coming back home after a year away. All our winter clothes are packed away in our container in Nelson but we are arriving in Auckland for a week. So, we will head straight for the opshops. Love them.  Good quality clothes, laundered. For a fraction of the cost.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 04:18:05 am »

Offline MartinC

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 08:47:03 am »
Op shops are 2nd hand stores.

Thanks Yusuf.