Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: One year living in New Zealand...here are my musings...from a very happy mum xxx  (Read 2146 times)

Offline AngelineC

• Little kiwi on the way...woohooooo
I haven't visited this site for so long and I miss hearing all your news and movements. So many on this site were instrumental in our finding happiness, and I will be forever grateful! I met two great friends who I see regularly from this forum! So, I am going to give you a taste of how I feel after one year here. We are soooo happy living in Wellington, but we have had our share of trying times too. Here I will begin my celebrations, because I know that some of you will relate and some of you may need to know what it feels like to have done it, lived it, loved it...and live the rewards. I have two beautiful daughters and am pregnant with a little kiwi babe :) And this is my one year song...

We came for an adventure, how could I ever have imagined the magnitude, splendour and intensity of the adventure that has ensued over the past year. We left not knowing what we were going to be doing and we were as ready as we could ever have been...I don't think you can ever have the 'perfect time' to emigrate... just the right mindset! I did not anticipate how intensely each individual copes at different times in completely different ways; I didn't anticipate falling in love with my new home country the moment we arrived; I didn't anticipate the 'vibe' here in Wellington: I expected it to be a bit quiet and dare I say a bit 'backward'...I could not have been more wrong! I didn't anticipate to have met so many incredible friends, from so many different backgrounds and cultures and share time and laughter like I do; I didn't expect to be understood right away, or liked right away; I didn't expect to be able to slide into a community I have given nothing to, and receive SOOOO much in return; I didn't anticipate the generosity of new friends, the warmth of distant family and the incredibly special relationships that ensued. I couldn't have planned this...we lived it and moved with it and have grown so much. Shoh, another day's thoughts perhaps. Thank you for welcoming us like you have, sweet Welly and NZ, you have made a lifelong believer that life can be magnificent...
 :yippee:
THIS journey is worth every bit of blood and tears...

Offline Sherelee

• Global Moderator

That is so wonderful, AngelineC  :smitten:

Please try to come on to the forum to give advice to our new members.... they still need it  :smitten:

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
Angeline, that could have come from my mouth.  I am so glad that it is not only me that has been welcomed, loved, and made the bestest friends ever in our new home country.  So happy for you. 

Offline ARELEENE4

:flowers: AngelineC.... thank you for beautiful words..... THAT is exactly how i feel and im not even there yet.Mindset is one of the keys...... hubby is finally there and we are ready to "action". dont go away...... :clap: i gotta feeling your inspiring words will help alot of us behind you  :smitten:

AWESOME! O0
17/10/13 Passports applied for.
22/10/13 UBC applied for.
05/11/13 Passports received.
10/11/13 Hubby approved decision on LSD
27/11/13 Booked tickets for LSD
11/02/14 Police clearance couriered to pta
18/02/14 Meds & xray done

Offline AngelineC

That is so wonderful, AngelineC  :smitten:

Please try to come on to the forum to give advice to our new members.... they still need it  :smitten:

Hi Sherelee :)
I would loooove to help anyone on this path, because I believe with my heart and soul that the life we have now cannot possibly be any closer to the dream I had in mind.
The only problem with coming on the net regularly...we are always out and about...hahaha!
Today...drove around the wild coast of Wellington all afternoon, played with sea cucumbers and wandering urchins, learnt about the octopus, admired the snow-capped mountains of south island, mingled with happy dog-walkers, joggers and paddlers in the sea...We had a delicious meal, finished the day off at the park, with my daughters making friends! And it was raining yesterday...who would have thought that today would be so perfect!

Life is busy and just so blessed.

I will make it a weekly visit...because I do believe whole-heartedly that the move to NZ has been the greatest gift we could ever have given our children...and in turn, ourselves! We made the move for them and have discovered that there was so much more to life than the life we had in SA.
We had a tough time in the first few months after our arrival...a tough road where my hubby nearly boarded a plane back...the same husband is on the mountain bike tracks twice a week, in makara...and who is now so settled and happy.

Be strong, special peeps...this journey is a joyous adventure...and a rollercoaster...and a relaxing day at the beach!!!!

Looking forward to being on here more often! ;)

Lots of  :hug: as always

Offline DREW1234

Oh AngelineC

you have warmed my trembling heart, we are coming to your wonderful country in January and I am so scared and nervous about what is waiting for us over there, we are in the process of packing up our life here and it is extremely sad but we are doing it for a reason, and that is to have a better life as a family and more opportunities for our precious kids, so I trust that we will be strong enough to endure the heartaches and stress in the beginning.

I will def call on your help I am sure, very soon

Regards
Suzaan

Offline AngelineC

Hi Suzaan...welcome...and good luck...and be strong...and embrace the journey :):)
So much happening that fiddles with the heart strongs, I know x
Keep the focus, enjoy a 'holiday' at some point when you arrive, so that you can feel this country in every way! You are coming at a wonderful time of the year...enjoy every moment!

Let me know when you have arrived!
A whirlwind is happening but when it calms, your heart will start to feel peace.  :smitten:

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

Offline Sherelee

• Global Moderator

Hello Suzaan and  :welcome:

Never be scared of New Zealand as there are many of us here who will make sure 'you're alright, mate'  :smitten:

Offline DREW1234

Thank you both soooo much I really appreciate your words of encouragement and support, we arrive on the 16th of January and i will meet you, Sherelee, I am sure, at the new comers day on the last Monday of the month  :)

Offline Sherelee

• Global Moderator

Awesome  :yippee: :yippee: