Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Desperately seeking NZ :)  (Read 1084 times)

Offline rmarks

Desperately seeking NZ :)
« on: January 15, 2014, 01:21:24 pm »
Hi all,

My husband and I have been playing with the idea of emigrating to NZ since I visited my sister for her wedding in 2011.  I instantly fell in love with the country, and could very easily picture it as our new home.  We have 2 small children (3 &10) so the desire to move them to a country where rape and murder arent part of every day life is HUGE!  We have now made the decision to give it our all this year  ;D

I have been doing a lot of research in terms of cost of living, community, work, etc.  My husband is currently busy with his Masters of Science in Information System Management, and as I understand it, IT is an area where NZ is experiencing skills shortages.  Are there any IT professionals on the forum who can give some advice as to how easy/difficult it is to get a job as a migrant?

I have read a few forums where expats complain about the high cost of living and the general xenophobic attitude of native Kiwi's to migrants.  Is this really the case? 

I would appreciate any advice - I'm sure you all remember the trepidation before leaving your home country for somewhere unknown.......

TIA

Offline Chan in Wellington

Re: Desperately seeking NZ :)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 06:15:16 pm »
This is just my 2c worth.  I am not in the IT industry, but we have close friends who are and yes there is a demand for them, but as you know IT people speak their own lingo and something was said about a specific programme (the boffs will know). 

As for the cost of living - we live better here than we ever did in SA.

As for native Kiwi's shunning immigrants??  No idea who told you that.  If anything, they are curious about our stories and we have never felt unwelcome in NZ.  There are enough Saffers here to form an army if that were the case.   :whistle:
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 06:15:16 pm »

Offline mbl77

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 08:21:34 pm »
With relevant IT qualification and experience your husband would probably find the skilled migrant visa route simplest.

Options for moving permanently to NZ - http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/workperm.htm
Details of skilled migrant visa - http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/skilledmigrant/default.htm

Most importantly though, if going the skilled migrant route, is to check how many points he qualifies for at http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/skilledmigrant/default.htm

Offline rmarks

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 09:35:40 am »
thanks so much for the replies. 

we have employed the services of an immigration advisor who is registered with immigration nz - i got his information from the immigration.govt.nz website. 

hopefully i will soon be posting our EOI submission date!