Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: If Company pays - Bring everything?  (Read 2780 times)

Offline Charmed

If Company pays - Bring everything?
« on: January 16, 2014, 12:24:53 pm »
Hi

My Fiancé found out today that should he get a transfer to NZ the Company will pay for everything including the container, flights, visa's, etc.  :clap:

Should we just pack everything and see what we really need when we get there?
Also, should we stock up on towels, bedding and kids' clothes?
My son will need a double bed soon, should we then buy that here and ship over?
From what I read on the forum all of the above items are quite expensive.  :o

Is it true that you should re-pack your items in other boxes or you'll be taxed?  :thumbdown:
Every time we've bought something new (for years now), especially electrical, we keep the boxes for the warranty.  ::)
Told Fiancé that when we move we can pack everything into their own boxes.
Do I need to throw those out and get plain boxes or can I swop and change?

Offline Charmed

Re: If Company pays - Bring everything?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 01:08:34 pm »
Another question!  :o
I read somewhere on the forum to leave any electrical appliances older than 5 years.
That means our fridge, washing machine, dishwasher, dryer, microwave. They're all about 8+ years old!
Basically all major appliances except the TV's.   :confused:

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 01:08:34 pm »

Offline mbl77

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 08:35:41 pm »
If I was in your position, I'd ship everything! At the current exchange rate you'll find that most things are more expensive in NZ, some quite substantially so.

Offline Charmed

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 08:42:43 pm »
Thanks. I think we'll do just that.  O0 
Well, maybe I'll get rid of the dishwasher.
At least we'll have a couple of months in NZ (with a NZ salary) before our stuff arrives to buy one or two items.
If I'm not mistaken, I think the company also pays the first three month's rent.

Offline Anna007

• Browns Bay, NZ
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 08:35:20 pm »
don't know if you will be renting or buying a house in NZ, but most houses have dishwashers
we have found mattresses to be quite expensive here as well, and good quality furniture is also expensive
don't bring any "junk" - for the lack of a better word  :) as it is not as easy/cheap to get rid of it over here
biggest lesson I learned (with bringing our stuff) is that the houses are MUCH smaller over here
I wont stock up on towels and bedding, but will definitely stock up on good quality clothes  8)
"What we see depends mainly on what we look for"

Offline yusuf

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 11:57:05 pm »
Don't forget that bed sizes are different here and buying sheets here for SA beds in future will be impossible...
DIY Residence Application - Roughly 18 months
Arrived in Wellington with Residence - 1st May 2013
Relocated to Auckland - 24th May 2015
PR Approved - 19th Nov 2015

Offline Charmed

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 07:34:44 pm »
Thank you to everyone who replied and for the advice!  O0
We'll definitely double check everything before we bring it!
BTW are the sheets in NZ larger or smaller?

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 07:34:44 pm »

Offline Heaven

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 04:12:45 am »
I would agree with mbl77 - with the current rate of exchange, I'd bring it all if company pays :) Most rentals have dishwashers and if you don't have space, storage can be expensive, but that's all just a matter of planning the logistics carefully. Friends of mine rented a fully furnished place for 3 months (owners were overseas for that time) and just before their container arrived they rented a longer term unfurnished place. There was a slight overlap, but worked well for them...

I can confirm that beds are pricey here. I just bought a new bottom of the range queen size Sealy and it cost the equivalent of R18000... Not sure what beds cost now in SA, but that seems a lot to me. If bringing beds, definitely stock up on some nice quality linen as bed sizes differ and linen is expensive here. A half decent quality queen duvet cover set with 2 standard pillowcases, no sheets, will set you back about $350 (roughly R3000). Even the cheapies that I've been buying are expensive for what you get.

Good quality clothing is expensive here, but that seems to be the case everywhere these days. For anyone that isn't fussed about buying from charity shops, there are great things that are dirt cheap... I'd stock up on nice underwear for everyone though the quality and prices here have improved a lot of late.

I'm not sure about using the boxes for your appliances as I didn't bring a container. I'd check with the moving companies regarding that.

I stand corrected, but I think beds here are longer and narrower. You get 4 main sizes here - Single, King Single (similar to a 3/4 bed in SA), Queen & King.

Best of everything :)
02-04-2011 - Landed in NZ for LSD
22-07-2011 - 5 year WP issued
18-08-2011 - Moved to NZ
21-09-2011 - EOI submitted & selected
21-03-2012 - Residence Approved
16-04-2014 - Permanent Residence Approved

Offline Charmed

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 09:21:42 am »
Thanks for the great info @Heaven.

My fiancé hasn't received an offer yet but it's great to have this type of info to help plan!  :smart:
We'll be bringing our beds (basically new) as well as bedding.
We've decided to buy a new quality lounge suite which we'll take over seeing that ours is almost 10 years old in any way.
As for clothes, we'll buy good quality here and take it over.

I have to say that I'm really grateful that there are so many Saffas out there willing to give advise!  :1hug:
It's really reassuring, especially with such a big decision in one's life.

Thanks to all who give their time to answer everybody's questions!