Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Best to use a migration agency or not?  (Read 2755 times)

Offline roybfraser

Best to use a migration agency or not?
« on: January 29, 2014, 09:00:33 am »
My wife and I are planning to emigrate to New Zealand in March/April. With a degree in both teaching and agriculture, we are keen on settling in and working on a dairy farm.

We have been offered excellent advice and "hand-holding" care from Tri-Nations Migration, has anyone used them before and is it best to use an agency rather than taking a "leap of faith" and applying from within New Zealand.

Much help would be appreciated and job offers keenly accepted too!  :D

Offline MichelleL

Re: Best to use a migration agency or not?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 07:30:53 am »
Hi Roybfraser, we are using an immigration agent, and despite many people telling us how easy it is to do it yourself, we decided we are not willing to take the risk.
It really has taken a load of stress of our shoulders as we know that we are receiving the best advise and won't have to worry about getting anything wrong because they are the experts and there with us every step of this journey!  :)

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 07:30:53 am »

Offline Sherelee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 11:57:00 pm »

Hi Roybfraser and  :welcome:

I too used a Licensed Immigration Adviser in NZ.... my only piece of great advice is to find a great one in NZ who has a strong network system regarding immigration, the job market and all other solutions to immigrating.

Also join some of the Saffa facebook pages, such as THE SOUTH AFRICAN MAGAZINE facebook page, SaffaZealanders and Job opportunity in New Zealand for South Africans.

:gl2: :gl2: and hope to see you soon.

Offline ronaldd

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 01:00:59 pm »
it was an absolute waste of money
Our agent posted one letter.. which we filled in,   and could have posted.. and taking our R30 000.
My wife did all the research and filled in all the forms...

they are a bunch of sharks preying on people eager to follow the safest route out of the country.
2008-04-06 Landed
2008-06-06 WP.
2008-06-17 EOI
2008-07-16  Selected
2008-12-04 Residence application submitted
2009-03-30 Residence + RRV Granted
2009-04-07 Received passports
2014-07-28 Citizenship

Offline Gypsymom

• In the winterless north
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 09:05:40 pm »
 :nosey: I wonder how many people on the forum did use an agent.  I did not, it didn't even occur to me, and couldn't have afforded it anyway.  Good luck.   :gl: :gl:
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline yusuf

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 09:58:13 pm »
I used an agent!!
I mean I just used them for the inspiration from their free seminar  :2funny:
DIY Residence Application - Roughly 18 months
Arrived in Wellington with Residence - 1st May 2013
Relocated to Auckland - 24th May 2015
PR Approved - 19th Nov 2015

Offline Heaven

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 01:25:09 am »
I didn't use an agent as after reading up etc, I realised I knew enough to do it myself. Also, with time constraints etc, it made sense not to. However, I know many people who used an agent and providing they are licensed and you do your homework on the agent, it can be incredibly helpful. I know how much time, effort, paperwork and money went into the immigration process and hat off to all those dedicated, helpful agents who help countless people reach their dream each year.
02-04-2011 - Landed in NZ for LSD
22-07-2011 - 5 year WP issued
18-08-2011 - Moved to NZ
21-09-2011 - EOI submitted & selected
21-03-2012 - Residence Approved
16-04-2014 - Permanent Residence Approved

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 01:25:09 am »

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 04:34:12 am »
We went to see an agent in Cape Town and walked out realising that we knew more than he did.  We just wanted to be sure.  Didn't even think about it after that.  Unless you have a difficult situation, it is basically very simple.  The NZIS tells you everything you need to do. There is a guideline for each and every form you need to fill out.  If you are unsure about something, ask them.  They always reply. 

You need to get all the paperwork yourself.  Need to fill out the forms yourself. 

In this way you  are in complete control.  You always know what is happening , or not happening. 

Our file was stuck in an earthquake damaged building for a few months.  When it was eventually retrieved, waterlogged, our CO said that it was one of the better ones she had seen so she could ok our PR.  She just had to legally have it on hand. 

All we did was the following

Have all forms in the right order according to their check list
All accompanying letters right after the related forms
A cover note which had all our details, including our application numbers
The cover note listed each and every form and letter that was enclosed, in the order in which they were enclosed
Nothing was stapled but relevant pages clipped with paper clips.  They don't like staples!
Even though we were still waiting for 1 police clearance certificate from another country, we sent a letter stating that it would be sent as soon as it arrived, accompanied by the receipt letter from the embassy.
We photocopied everything !!  Which worked in our favour due to the earthquake as they were able to continue with our medical saga with our photocopies we sent them.

Just dot your i's and cross your T's.  Check and double check. 

And save thT money , you will need it. 

Offline Gypsymom

• In the winterless north
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 02:34:14 am »
Savayla, I totally agree.  Read, read, and get all your documents in order.  :gl: :gl:
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]