Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Check out this cool tool from Immigration NZ  (Read 1171 times)

Offline Heaven

Check out this cool tool from Immigration NZ
« on: February 10, 2014, 12:43:24 pm »
Wow, hat off to immigration NZ for constantly trying to improve the usability of their website. I just stumbled upon this really cool tool - it's probably been around a while and maybe you all know about it already, but I thought it was awesome :) You just type in your occupation and it tells you if it's on any shortage lists, what type of visa you could get and any qualifications / experience required and gives links to further information!

http://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz/

And, check out this piece of cool news based on New Zealand Institute of Economic Research findings :)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/9704932/More-migrants-would-benefit-all
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 01:11:08 pm by Heaven »
02-04-2011 - Landed in NZ for LSD
22-07-2011 - 5 year WP issued
18-08-2011 - Moved to NZ
21-09-2011 - EOI submitted & selected
21-03-2012 - Residence Approved
16-04-2014 - Permanent Residence Approved

Offline TheJo

Re: Check out this cool tool from Immigration NZ
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 01:49:35 pm »
I've used it a lot, and it is awesome. It also gives you the name your occupation in SA is generally known by in NZ. What I like about it is that if you are looking at a job on SEEK, you can enter the job title and see if it would qualify you for a work visa.
11 Feb 15: Residence visa approved

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 01:49:35 pm »

Offline Trevor

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 09:23:12 pm »
@Heaven, have read quite a few of your posts & thanks so much for the quality information you provide. Went through the 2nd link's comments & seems to me that some Kiwis have some phobia of migrants - a tat bit of "xenophobia" perhaps?...Some work to do in explaining to Kiwis how the country can prosper with properly matched migrant skills needed to grow the economy. I will be visiting NZ from 1st week of March with a view to relocating there - My career happens to appear on the skills shortage list.

Offline Heaven

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 10:05:02 pm »
Trevor, that sounds really promising! I hope your trip works out well and good luck with getting the process started. I think anyone is in their right mind to have some degree of fear that their jobs will be taken by foreigners, but bringing in the right skills will only grow the economy. Also, immigrants are widely known to start their own businesses and in turn employ Kiwis, so it does work well. I like to see that there is some solid research taking place into the benefits of increasing the migration quotas. New Zealand is small, it is isolated and the benefits of bringing in international business experience is exponential to economic growth - here's hoping that things will start moving in the right direction :)
02-04-2011 - Landed in NZ for LSD
22-07-2011 - 5 year WP issued
18-08-2011 - Moved to NZ
21-09-2011 - EOI submitted & selected
21-03-2012 - Residence Approved
16-04-2014 - Permanent Residence Approved