Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: I'm coming in April!  (Read 1071 times)

Offline scottkw

I'm coming in April!
« on: March 03, 2014, 05:35:24 pm »
Hello everybody!

I can't believe how quickly time goes by, and that I'm now in the final countdown!
I'm planning to arrive in Auckland in the second week of April!

So far, I have covered almost all my bases...
Sold my property, sold another small flat, in the process of selling all our stuff, and its really becoming reality VERY quickly!
My wife and 4 year old daughter will be living with family until I settle in NZ...!
Man alive, I hope all goes well....!

So, I'm arriving there on a 3 month holiday visa, and going to start looking for employment immediately.
Fortunately I have managed to make a few appointments (hopefully they are "interviews") so I'm not going in totally blind...!
Otherwise, I don't know anybody there and the only reason for me making this change is to try provide a better quality of life to my family. I'm tired of not feeling safe in my own country and really want to experience "freedom"...

I will be booking my flight this week, and will keep you all posted...

Best wishes,
Scotty

PS: any good suggestions for accommodation upon arrival?

Offline TheJo

Re: I'm coming in April!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 09:48:04 pm »
Hi there and  :welcome:,

Good luck with your plans, I hope all goes well.

Have you set up appointments with recruiters or with companies themselves?

As for accommodation, what sort of budget are you looking at? You get backpackers which are cheaper but not very private, or you can get something nicer like a self-contained unit which is a lot more expensive.
11 Feb 15: Residence visa approved

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 09:48:04 pm »

Offline scottkw

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 08:01:44 am »
Hello TheJo!

Thanks for the feedback! I'm really getting excited now, and plans are starting to fall in place...!

I have contacted a few companies directly, and a couple of recruitment agencies as well.
Fortunately I'm in a very specialized field (direct selling) and have worked for very well known international companies.

As far as accommodation is concerned, I think at first I will look into a backpacker lodge for about a week - just to find my feet.
Then I will start looking at a small flat or perhaps a garden cottage (granny flat?)....
At this stage it can be a single room, but when my wife and daughter (Carmen & Makayla) join then it will need to be a bit bigger...

Any recommendations or advice would be great!

Best wishes
Scotty