Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Newbies  (Read 1778 times)

Offline SAUKSANZ

Newbies
« on: June 01, 2014, 04:20:25 pm »
Hi all
I am super excited to have just joined this forum,
Can mean only 1 thing  :D

We want to start the process to get our little family to nz

Ok loooooong story

My hubby is 41 in August he has worked in the heavy duty equipment maintenance field for years
We lived in the uk for 6 years in that time he worked as an international service engineer working
on compressors turbines pumps etc also lots of work experience off shore on various platforms

This is the area I feel hurt us:

He went and finally qualified last year (2013) as a diesel mechanic through Merseta
His current job title is field service manager
And he has only been qualified for a year!

I am 40 next year and we have an 11 year old daughter.
I am a PA/bookkeeper/office manager -currently a contract co ordinator - I have a bookkeeping diploma from city and guilds

We all hold SA & UK passports

So after a brief introduction

What would be our best way forward do we apply for perm res or try find job offers then apply for work visa to perm res?

Is anyone else in a similar situation that can offer more advise I would really appreciate it

Looking forward to many happy chat on the forum

Cheers for now

Nats

Offline TheJo

Re: Newbies
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 09:27:34 pm »
Hi Nats,

Have you tried taking the EOI points test on the INZ website? If you know how many points you qualify for, if your work is skilled and if it is on a shortage list, it could give you the information you need to decide on a direction.

:gl2:
11 Feb 15: Residence visa approved

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 09:27:34 pm »

Offline Dan

• Happy for people to friend me on FB as well.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 02:42:27 am »
I read a lot of stories on this Forum, many people have high hopes but their chances of moving here remain low. I think your situation may be different. Your husband's skills could be valuable to the right employer. He should definitely start looking around for the right role. If he gets an offer he could secure a work visa.

Offline mbl77

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 05:47:51 am »
^ What Dan said.

Offline SAUKSANZ

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 07:17:14 am »
Hi
Thank you very much for your feedback
It's given me a little bit more enthusiasm about our plan

Without asking too much from you - are you able to supply me with a few good employment agents the we can get hold of (if that's the right next step in looking for a job offer) to send my hubby and possibly my cv's to to start the process  :yippee:

Can I also ask - if on SA passport we are allowed to travel to nz for 3 moths and on UK passports we can stay for up to 6 months  with out visa's - could we come over and look for and secure jobs during that time - stay apply for work visa and start working?

Just a question  ::)

Hope you all have a super day chat soon
Nats

Offline yusuf

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 10:56:08 am »
From the little I know, I think most employment agencies will ask you to make contact with them once you're in NZ. Too many people bother them from abroad.

Your husband needs too to search jobs on www.seek.co.nz and www.trademe.co.nz. He must also change his CV to NZ format. Once that is done, he must apply for applicable jobs. Many people seem to be able to get jobs from overseas. Have patience, it can take a long time. Just don't lose hope.

I met a diesel mechanic from Zim in Auckland 2 months ago. It sounds like he is doing well for himself in NZ.

Good luck  :gl:
DIY Residence Application - Roughly 18 months
Arrived in Wellington with Residence - 1st May 2013
Relocated to Auckland - 24th May 2015
PR Approved - 19th Nov 2015

Offline SAUKSANZ

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 12:39:28 pm »
Thanks for the info

We will work on his cv for the next few days and look at those websites

Really appreciate your help

Nats

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 12:39:28 pm »

Offline SAUKSANZ

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 05:32:41 pm »
Hi all

Hope you all have a wonderful Tuesday,

Please can you let me know what are the major retail stores

Food/grocery
Furniture
Outdoor
Clothing

Just going to do some surfing and see what things cost

Chat soon Nats

Offline yusuf

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 04:03:52 am »
Food - Pak n Save and Countdown are most popular. New World is slightly more expensive.
Not really sure about clothing in general but macpac and Kathmandu are popular for jackets and outdoor stuff.
Also  look at The Warehouse which is a cross between Makro (without the bulk goods) and Game. I miss Game  :'(
Dick Smith and Noel Leeming for electronics and home appliances.
DIY Residence Application - Roughly 18 months
Arrived in Wellington with Residence - 1st May 2013
Relocated to Auckland - 24th May 2015
PR Approved - 19th Nov 2015

Offline Heaven

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 03:12:06 am »
Just to add to that:

1. I'm seeing more and more jobs advertised on LinkedIn these days :)
2. Yes, your UK passports will give you 6 months vs the 3 that the SA passport will give you, so definitely a better time frame to work with. 3 months can be tight if coming over that way!
3. Start with www.immigration.co.nz to check what visa options you have and whether or not you meet the points requirements for straight permanent residence. A handy tool they have can be found on http://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz/ - just enter your occupation and it gives you an indication of whether it's on a skills shortage list or not and also a starting place for exploring visa options.
4. As soon as you have some idea of what route you'd like to take, or even as soon as you think NZ is it, start applying for things like unabridged birth certs etc as they can take forever!!!

Trades people usually do well here and your hubby sounds motivated to succeed at whatever he does. Best of everything!!!
02-04-2011 - Landed in NZ for LSD
22-07-2011 - 5 year WP issued
18-08-2011 - Moved to NZ
21-09-2011 - EOI submitted & selected
21-03-2012 - Residence Approved
16-04-2014 - Permanent Residence Approved