Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: I'M PREGNANT, NOW WHAT?  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Heart Artist

I'M PREGNANT, NOW WHAT?
« on: June 25, 2014, 06:15:30 pm »
I'm Heart Arts, 30 years old and mother of a 20 month old daughter. Hubby [fishing legend - in his eyes - FL for short]  and I sat down and after MAJOR thoughts about our futures, and specifically our daughter's future in RSA decided to emigrate.

The general plan was for us to settle all of our debts [his car and motorbike] and sell as much as possible [when we met he'd JUST bought all new furniture for the house, so we've taken this opportunity to de-bachelorize our home] and at the end of July he'd go over job hunting [he's a project manager] and my daughter and I'd follow the moment he's got a job and a place for us to stay. We'd move to Johannesburg to stay with my mom and I'd work there to help FL out financially all while pining away for him.

Now??? I'm almost 2 months pregnant, and we found this out on Friday.

Our agency said they recommended we go there as a family ASAP, and EVERYBODY here in RSA is saying "it's a sign to stay put".

I'm panicking, he's freaking out because the idea of us doing all of this while pregnant, without a medical aid and stable income, is daunting. [He's old school, very "father and husband must provide for family" oriented, and I love him for it.

It's daunting.

Does anybody have any thoughts or weigh ins?

We'd really appreciate it!!!

Thanks,  :help:

Offline Dan

• Happy for people to friend me on FB as well.
Re: I'M PREGNANT, NOW WHAT?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 09:06:51 pm »
Congratulations. :)

If you or your husband are suitably qualified to permanently in New Zealand then it will be a great place to raise a family. I personally would have baby there just for the family support and relationships, but others may have a different idea.

You will definitely need medical insurance. New Zealand has a good public health system but it does charge foreign patients.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 09:06:51 pm »

Offline Johnson

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 08:54:53 am »
Can you start the process from there? Do you have enough points to apply for permanent residence?

If so I'd do that, get all the paperwork moving. Have the baby in SA with your families, and then move as soon as possible afterwards.

Emigrating is HARD. And in my experience having a baby in a new country makes you realise just how much you miss your family. But dont let it derail your plans to emigrate - if anything you now have twice the reasons to make the move.

What kind of Project Management does FL do?
Applied for work permit 14/04/2008
EOI submitted 20/04/2008
EOI selected 23/04/2008
ITA received 05/05/2008
Work permit approved 27/05/2008
Arrived in NZ 31/05/2008
PR received 01/10/2008