Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Noob Intro  (Read 2318 times)

Offline ShaunTdi

Noob Intro
« on: August 06, 2014, 07:08:37 am »
Hi All,

Just wanting to introduce myself. My name is Shaun, I currently live in Ballito/Durban and have been looking at making NZ my family's new home for the last few years. I have only now taken the stance to getting more actively involved in starting the immigration process. Unfortunately I am not on the skills shortage list (Degree in Marketing Management, 5 years experience in Lending | Sales | Marketing), so I will most likely apply for a Talent Work Visa and then apply for residency after 2 years. We have family in Hamilton and Auckland and a few friends that have gone over.

My mate used this forum when he was going through the process and he received a ton of help, so I am looking forward to learning and reading up on the knowledge this forum has.

Cheers
Shaun 

Offline ShaunTdi

Re: Noob Intro
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 07:11:19 am »
Sorry might have posted this in the incorrect section :uglystupid2:. If so could the mods please move it.

Thanks

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 07:11:19 am »

Offline yusuf

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 10:25:46 pm »
Welcome Shaun  :)
You've been considering NZ even longer than I have, so I hope that you will make it over soon.
The forum is full of helpful people, and most topics have been covered.
There's 'heaps' of valuable information for anyone considering a move to NZ.

Good to have you on board.

Yusuf
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 12:24:35 pm by yusuf »
DIY Residence Application - Roughly 18 months
Arrived in Wellington with Residence - 1st May 2013
Relocated to Auckland - 24th May 2015
PR Approved - 19th Nov 2015

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 06:20:05 am »
  :welcome:  , I am sure you will find loads of help here. Don't be shy.

Offline ShaunTdi

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 06:57:09 am »
Thanks Yusuf! Appreciate all the help so far. Hopefully I will be joining you soon!

Thanks Savayla, I'm sure I be asking a few questions!

Offline TheJo

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 06:11:55 am »
Welcome to the forum!

Just one thing: a talent visa is for when you receive a job offer from an accredited employer and in our experience they are the last employers that will bother with you even though it's *easier* for you to get a work visa if the employer is accredited.

I'm sure that having family and friends in NZ is going to make things much better for you guys.  :gl2:
11 Feb 15: Residence visa approved

Offline cheemeen

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 09:17:33 am »
Hi all,

I am Nathan Cheemee, and I am starting with my planning on moving over to New Zealand. If all goes well end of March next year i will make my way there. My work is currently on the  long term skills shortage list and I am in IT and have about 5 years experience in IT namely Desktop support. My brother has also been living in NZ for 18 years.
Im just a bit nervous about coming over and struggling to find a job.
I have a wife and son that I would like to bring over once im settled. I have already contacted and immigration advisor however i am still waiting on a response from them.

Any extra information and maybe the steps i should follow would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 09:17:33 am »

Offline ITSeeker

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 07:27:38 pm »
Hi Everybody,

My name is Alex, my wife and I will be looking at a LSD visit in the first half of next year, some time after March. Immigration lawyers have been appointed and are ready to proceed once a job offer has been secured. I am in the IT sector with over 10 years experience, hoping to get a position as a network engineer. Have the same concerns as most people going over - will I find work  :sweat:

Best of luck to everybody going through this process

Offline mbl77

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 10:25:32 pm »
Hi Everybody,

My name is Alex, my wife and I will be looking at a LSD visit in the first half of next year, some time after March. Immigration lawyers have been appointed and are ready to proceed once a job offer has been secured. I am in the IT sector with over 10 years experience, hoping to get a position as a network engineer. Have the same concerns as most people going over - will I find work  :sweat:

Best of luck to everybody going through this process

If you get a job offer, and qualify with enough points, why do you need an immigration lawyer? You can do the process yourself for most cases.

Offline ITSeeker

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 07:21:45 am »
We just felt more comfortable with them guiding us through the process of obtaining permanent residency, even though I have read that its a rather straight forward process

Offline gobbleteller

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 06:07:50 pm »
Hello everybody. I am Craig, and since 2009 I have been contemplating leaving SA for NZ. Unfortunately, at the time I went to one of Immigrations seminars in Durban, I had no skills required to enter the country. Now, five years later, I have qualifies as an electrician and I have even passed my Advanced Diploma of Electrical and Instrumentation Engineering in Mining. I work at the moment as a multiskilled electrician on a mine. As many have probably seen, the mining industry has been struggling for the last few years with both low gold prices and many wildcat strikes, which have not only affected the industry, but also the country's economy. I plan to apply for a visa in a year or two, only so that I can increase my mining experience.

I was so excited when I found this website, because it will be great to hear from others that have been in the same position.

So again "hi" everybody :D

Offline Dan

• Happy for people to friend me on FB as well.
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 12:19:55 pm »
Hi Craig. You'll need to go through a process to become a registered sparky, but once you have sone that you'll be a kiwi for sure.

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 12:19:55 pm »

Offline Chan in Wellington

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 08:39:07 pm »
Welcome to the newbies, hope you all have success in your process and getting job offers/visa's, because it's all worth it in the end.
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.