Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Stay or go, doubt after decision  (Read 1314 times)

Offline Boesman14

Stay or go, doubt after decision
« on: December 28, 2014, 09:35:41 pm »
 :help:
Guys and girls, I need your help.

This NZ immigration thing is hard

Me and me wife have been pondering about staying!?!?
We know al the reasons for going (crime, schooling system, non- discriminating jobs etc)
I have 3 boys and on the BEE scale we are last. So everything points to going. On top of that  my company is restructuring and they gave my job to a black lady and now I'm in a holding structure until the company finds me a job at another mine.

Now on the other hand we are very close to our families. And thats the only thing holding us back.

Any advise on coping with not having the family around?

Also you see all the nice things about NZ but then you read about gangs, drugs etc. is it realy that bad?

Thanks

Offline Dan

• Happy for people to friend me on FB as well.
Re: Stay or go, doubt after decision
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 09:49:37 pm »
I think if people are highly string about perceptions of crime in New Zealand, well I am at a loss. I think the only option left is .... ummm .... Norfolk Island.

Seriously, the biggest problem in New Zealand is not a crime problem and it is most certainly not a gang problem. The biggest problem is affordability, which affects in particular those people who do not own property. That's the big issue, and it is an issue in Australia, the UK, Canada, the United States and most of the European Union.

A decent house anywhere in Auckland will cost at least NZ$500k, and the prices are similar in Wellington, Christchurch, Tauranga and other parts of New Zealand too.

And if NZ$500k is affordable, then expect to pay a minimum of NZ$700k for a decent home on the North Shore (many houses in popular suburbs easily clear NZ$1m) and so on. 

So think about the affordability issues, because that's real. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 12:33:17 am by Dan »

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 09:49:37 pm »

Offline Boesman14

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 10:08:49 pm »
Thanks Dan, I think me and my wife's salaries will be fine to afford a house, we have both got degrees and almost 8 years experience,

And the family back in SA?

Offline Dan

• Happy for people to friend me on FB as well.
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 10:37:27 pm »
New Zealand is more affordable if you look outside the main centres. The outer suburbs and satellite towns require a commute, but its a good trade-off.

I live about 35km from work but I don't mind the commute.

Offline Heaven

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 12:03:44 pm »
I absolutely agree with Dan - safety, security, crime, drugs, gangs are not the usual problem to worry about in NZ. Affordability definitely is a concern in main cities - I live in Napier and we complain about a decent house costing around 300K while in other cities it's 500K upwards. What I pay in rent for a 3 bedroom place in a good suburb here won't even get me a room in a communal house in Auckland. Many foods are seasonal here, so learning to eat seasonally is important. However, having said all of that, you definitely can make things work even if you don't earn that well.

As for the family, do you think any of them may be looking at NZ too? Often family follows - I've got a friend here who had no family in NZ 3 years ago and now she has no family left in SA - they all ended up moving over! Otherwise, if you earn well and save hard, you could go back to SA for holidays or fly family out here to visit you?

I only have my parents in SA and they'll be moving to NZ in the next year or two, so I can't really say how best to cope with missing family. My parents visit and we Skype and phone often in between which helps a lot.
02-04-2011 - Landed in NZ for LSD
22-07-2011 - 5 year WP issued
18-08-2011 - Moved to NZ
21-09-2011 - EOI submitted & selected
21-03-2012 - Residence Approved
16-04-2014 - Permanent Residence Approved

Offline TheJo

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 09:53:27 pm »
Dan has hit the nail on the head about NZ and he said it very well. Crime is not an issue in NZ like in SA. It is absolutely nowhere near as bad. Remember that the media uses any shocking event as a selling point, so while you'll read something in the news and get a feeling that it's a huge deal it really isn't.

As for family, it is hard. But as Heaven said, it often happens that the first person to go is merely "paving the way" for the rest of the family to follow. It is a huge decision but if you go then family will look at your move and think "if you did it so can we".

I keep in touch with my family through Skype, and also by using Skype call (where you buy credit and can phone cellphones and landlines). We also email often. I miss seeing them and being with them but hearing their voices helps a lot. I found that we share more now than we did before, because I end up telling them every little thing, and I didn't do that in the past because I knew I would be visiting. It's also a tremendous help that both DH and my families were supportive of our move. DH's family were unhappy with the idea at first, but they came around and now often tell us we did the right thing. My family actively encouraged us to go for years as they felt we'd have no future in SA (how right they turned out to be). So now, when we speak to them, or miss them and feel sad they always comfort us by reaffirming that we made the right decision. I know that we'll eventually be able to visit them once everything is sorted. I feel that it's getting easier with time.

Do they know about your decision? If you haven't told them yet it might be best to have a long discussion with them. Knowing how they feel might help you make a choice you feel happiest with.

Good luck with it all.
11 Feb 15: Residence visa approved