Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Info for big move  (Read 1716 times)

Offline TI

Info for big move
« on: January 10, 2015, 09:26:00 am »
Hi Everyone

Firstly i would like to say thank you for all the advice and info posted on this website.

Secondly i would like some 'input' with regard to the work permit process... my husband and i,  together with our 21 month old little girl are planning to move to NZ. Our points do no not seem to be sufficient to complete the EOI, even though we are both professionals. The job factor is the missing link. So we have to decided to go over to NZ and then my husband will look for a job. (He is in the architectural field. ) and then hopefully attain a work visa. we intend on coming over as a family. my husband is not keen on being away from us indefinitely, hence this decision. My question is, is this ideal? Would we manage? the other thing i would like to find out about is.... what documents should we have available before we leave SA? For the work visa application?

Any info would be greatly appreciated help  :help:, as we would like to get going with getting rid of assests etc...

thank you!!!!

Offline Zedd

Re: Info for big move
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 12:24:11 pm »
Hi. A lot of people are doing this.  I would consider that if I came over on a work visa, could I get eventually get residence. So I'd make sure that my skills are in the ltssl first.  If they aren't, then I would think that you'd stay on a work visa which seems like a stressful way to live.  I'm not an immigration advisor, so I'd get it from the horse's mouth first.
18 March 2013 - EOI submitted
3 April 2013 - EOI selected
10 May 2013 - ITA issued
23 July 2013 - ITA submitted
18 Sep 2014 - Resident visas approved
28 Feb 2015 - The chicken has landed!

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 12:24:11 pm »

Offline TheJo

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 11:31:16 pm »
Hi Tl

As Zedd said, a lot of people do things that way. Here are some things you need to know.

1. Strictly speaking this is not the way that Immigration NZ wants things to be done. You would be entering NZ on a visitor visa, which means that you should be "visiting" or "on holiday". When I arrived in NZ I was taken for questioning (and possible deportment) because no matter what you say, INZ has the final say on whether you are a genuine visitor or not. The immigration officer even told me that they specifically flag South Africans because we are known to come over to look for work. It is probably more convincing if you come over as a family.

2. Have a look if your husband's job and qualifications are on the LTSSL. If they are not then you will either be applying for an essental skills visa, or a talent visa (this is where the employer can hire outside of NZ). Look those visas up on INZ's website (also the employer supplementary form for an essential skills visa) and see what you need to collect to support your applications. Apply for your police clearances about 2 months before you go because they take around 6 weeks. Read up about what you need to supply as evidence of employment, evidence of qualification, and evidence of partnership.

3. Be careful about residence options. The LTSSL and talent visas are work-to-residence visas. The essential skills visa is not. That doesn't mean that you can't apply for residence if you have an essential skills visa, but it does mean that you have to make very sure that the job you get will qualify you for both.

4. NZ is expensive. It's now about R9 for $1. The length of time you will stay is determined partly by how long you can afford it. Just one example, a self-catering chalet type of accommodation for the family in Auckland can be about $600 per week.

5. The recruitment process can take a long time. From application to offer, my DH's job took 2 months.

Good luck
11 Feb 15: Residence visa approved

Offline TI

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 10:09:07 am »
Thank you for the responses. With regard to work, my husband is a senior architectural technologist( qualification recognized according to the list on the NZ immigration website) and i am a dental therapist by profession. My work profession is on the immediate skills shortage list, however being a medical profession, we are required to register with a professional body ie. the dental council of NZ. this alone is a lengthy  and costly procedure, hence we are deciding to leave on my husbands strength. We visited NZ in 2012 and loved it. my husband did chat to a few people about his line of work at that time, and it seemed that it wouldn't be a problem for him finding work...(building and construction industry)

i am getting overwhelmed with everything that will be required, as i would like for us to be organized in advance before our departure from SA.

thanks

Offline Zedd

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 01:09:47 pm »
TI, if you know that you can qualify for residence, why don't you apply for the skilled migrant category?  The process takes 12 months +.
If your husband could line up a job via skype, the London branch will fast track the SMC application and you'll move over sooner.
The big advantage here is a much easier transition - you get to carry on working in SA while saving for the big move and say a long goodbye to your family and friends.
18 March 2013 - EOI submitted
3 April 2013 - EOI selected
10 May 2013 - ITA issued
23 July 2013 - ITA submitted
18 Sep 2014 - Resident visas approved
28 Feb 2015 - The chicken has landed!

Offline TheJo

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 10:32:05 pm »
Tl, I know what you mean. My profession is also in the medical field and occupational registration takes about a year and part of it must be done in Australia. So we also left it to DH.

It is overwhelming. I find it helps to make a list for each thing and then you can cross things off as you get them. Perhaps your husband can speak to any contacts he made in NZ. Also have you started looking on Seek and Trademe for job opportunities for him. There are some people on this forum who got work while still in SA.

Offline TI

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 10:37:50 am »
Thank you for your much appreciated guidance Zedd and Thejo. we are going to look at all the possibilities , and then hopefully take it from there . We are at the point where we want to just get out of this country. Things are getting worse by the day, and we fear for the safety of our little girl.

We are going to definitely look through everything again.. and make some serious decisions. We have already applied for the unabridged birth /marriage certificates and our daughters passport. its a small start!

Thanks again guys! O0

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 10:37:50 am »

Offline Seeker

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 11:18:11 am »
The passport and unabridged birth certificates is normally quick (ours took a few days), but the marriage certificate can take a long time (ours took more than 12 weeks).

Like TheJo said make a list of everything. This also helps you to focus on the order in which you need to do things.   

Offline TheJo

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 08:10:44 pm »
but the marriage certificate can take a long time (ours took more than 12 weeks).

Yes, I'd forgotten about that! Ours also took about 12-15 weeks or something ridiculous like that.

Have you seen this site Tl? http://nzready.immigration.govt.nz/. It's a INZ tool to help you in making your lists. It tells you a little about the regulations in NZ and where you can get more information and it creates a personal to-do list. It's not extensive, but it might help you to get the ball rolling and give you a bit more confidence.

Offline ShaunB

• SATONZ
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 09:44:44 pm »
I know unabridged birth certificates are a must, but if I recall correctly we got by with just normal marriage certificates. Just double check, but I think normal marriage certificates are fine. But if you have already applied I suppose it wont harm having the unabridged too.
www.satonz.nz
my satonz discussion pages... :)

Offline TI

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 09:37:24 am »
Thanks guys. will wait and see!