Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: This Newbie needs your opinions  (Read 902 times)

Offline Mrs N

This Newbie needs your opinions
« on: January 16, 2015, 01:17:54 pm »
Hi All!

I just registered on this forum and already love it here.  Please forgive me if this has been asked before, I tried to have a look for a similar post but couldn't find any.

We have now done two assessments with two different immigration agencies.  One was free and the other one we paid for.  Both said our chances are great to get in as my husbands skills in IT are in great demand.  This is FANTASTIC news, as we really want to move to NZ to better the future of our two young boys.   :clap:

After the two assessments and our rendition of 21 questions, we have a pretty good idea what needs to be done and in what order and what visa's we need to apply for.

However, my question to you is:  Would you recommend that we use an immigration agency or would your recommend that we do all applications ourselves?   :confused:

Your opinions would be greatly valued and appreciated.

Regards

JN

Offline TheJo

Re: This Newbie needs your opinions
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 12:52:29 am »
Hi Mrs N,

Using an agent depends on you. If you read through the process on INZ's website and think you can manage it then do it yourself. It's really straightforward.

If it's too overwhelming, and you can afford it then go with the agent. Just make sure they are licensed and that INZ recognises them or your application won't be considered. If you're going with an agent, some people would tell you to think about whether you should choose an SA one, or a NZ-based one.

Some things to consider:
1. Whether or not you choose an agent you still need to collect all the information yourself. If there're qualifications that need assessment you need to do it yourself. You need to find jobs by yourselves.
2. Your agent can tell you the "next steps" in the process, which can help people that feel unsure of the information on INZ's website. On the other hand if you feel confident that you know what to do then the agent will just be "filling out the forms".
3. If your case is difficult, unique, or you really don't handle stress well and need that peace of mind you might prefer an agent.
4. NZ is expensive when you're living in Rands. What you pay in agents fees can really help you get started here.

Our residence application is currently being processed and we didn't use an agent. I don't regret not using an agent. There were no surprises (so far...) that I was unprepared for based on the information freely available.

:gl2: with your decision.
11 Feb 15: Residence visa approved

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 12:52:29 am »

Offline Mrs N

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 08:08:50 am »
Hi TheJo,

Thank you for your reply.  The points you mentioned are great tips and at the end we will need to sit down and do a pro's & con's list. 

Thanks again!

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 01:54:34 am »
Thejo summed up the main points very well. We too didn't see the need of paying an agent so much money when we still had to do all the work. If your case is straightforward, and from what you said it is, then save the money.

My husband was in IT, no degree. The NZIS site is excellent, there is this forum and you can email or phone NZIS at anytime if you have questions. They will get back to you within 24 hours.