Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Reality of looking for a job without a visa  (Read 865 times)

Offline coenie777

Reality of looking for a job without a visa
« on: January 18, 2015, 09:09:44 pm »
My first post after having spend a few weeks enjoying the site already, thanks to all!

How practical (as in what are your chances) of landing a job in NZ by applying for it from SA without any visa in place?

I can just get to EOI without a job offer (110 points) but with a job offer my points go to 160. So my dilemma is that of many in the past probably; I need a job to get a work visa but to get the job I need a work visa. My occupation is listed as a skilled one but I do not have the required degrees to back it. But that will form the basis of maybe a future post.

For now, if I can get to the bottom of the EOI pool, do I stand any chance of landing a job if I try and apply for something, considering my dilemma sketched above?

Offline TheJo

Re: Reality of looking for a job without a visa
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 10:58:51 pm »
Hi Coenie777

The EOI won't stand out in an employer's mind as a reason to hire you. When DH was applying for jobs a lot of them require you to register on the employer's website, and one of the questions would be "Do you have the right to live and work in NZ?" followed by check boxes - so you can't even explain the situation. The other hurdle is when the employers use a recruiter. If you apply and tell them that you are in SA they will not consider you at all. If you are in NZ when you apply some of them still won't consider you without the work visa (and no, they don't care that you need a job to get a work visa).

Having said that, if your job is skilled, and in demand then you can stand a chance. It seems that if you are in IT, you will stand a better chance. Now, you mentioned that you don't have a degree, have you checked that you have the required number of years experience to substitute for a degree? If you get a job in your field, you are required to prove that you have enough experience to be doing that job - this is true whether you are applying for a work visa or residence.

When DH came over to look for work it was very difficult and stressful. He applied for over 100 jobs.
11 Feb 15: Residence visa approved

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

Re: Reality of looking for a job without a visa
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 10:58:51 pm »