Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Stuck need help!!!  (Read 987 times)

Offline Dewet12

Stuck need help!!!
« on: February 15, 2015, 05:59:45 pm »
Hi All,

After careful consideration of many places, my husband and I have decided to begin our family journey to New Zealand with our 3 sons being the driving force behind everything we do :hug:. BUT we have gotten stuck on the work issue... :-\ My husband has had a mechanical and electronic diagnostic repairs business on vehicles (various) since 1998. (he is qualified). Our reasons for leaving SA is definitely because of the constant stress regarding safety and the uncertainty of the future. What are the chances of us purchasing a business in New Zealand? Would it be advisable? I have read a lot of the posts and they have helped with a lot of the other questions, but deciding on the different types of visas are not as easy... :confused: any advise would be appreciated  :)

Offline gobbleteller

Re: Stuck need help!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 06:30:13 pm »
Hey Dewet12,

I'm not really the person to give you advice about this as I'm still living in SA, but planning on moving to NZ.

What I would say though, I'm pretty sure that with their low unemployment rate, NZ is a thriving country that would be able to employ a qualified artisan such as your husband. I'm not sure what qualification he has, but you could look and see if his trade is on the skills shortage list and apply for that visa.

Moving to a new country and trying to open a business might come with many challenges, including having your trade validated before being able to register with the specific authorities... before you will be able to apply for a business or run a business in your trade. NZ probably isn't like SA in which you can be a gardener today, and an electrician tomorrow :smart:.

But you should see yourself as an asset to the country, whether as a tradesperson or entrepreneur.

Good luck  :gl: with your move and keep the forum informed... especially with respect to NZ and your business plans

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 06:30:13 pm »

Offline Dewet12

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 07:37:54 am »
Hello,

Thank you for the reply. He is going to go to the seminar in Cape Town and hopefully from there we would have more incite on how to get going. I must say it has definitely been an absolute pleasure joining this forum and studying all the comments and general information, the check lists and info has given me a better guide as to where to start and where to go next. thank you and I hope you have a great day :)