Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Reputable agents and two weekly draws  (Read 1516 times)

Offline ColinSam

Reputable agents and two weekly draws
« on: March 05, 2015, 06:29:47 am »
We have finally made the decision to immigrate to NZ (after many years of procrastination).  We have decided to go through an agent.  My question comes in with who to use.  I have found two options.  One is cheaper, but when doing a bit of googling does not have any good reports, infact every report is very negative - however I must mention that all the reports are from the year 2007.  The second option is quite a bit more $$, but I have found no complaints on the net about them.  Any advise - I am obviously leaning towards the agent with no complaints.

I think our decision to use an agent stems from the fact that the main applicant only has 110/120 points (if there is a job offer).  What are the chances that we get a draw with those points?

Help anyone? :confused:  :help:

Offline Zedd

Re: Reputable agents and two weekly draws
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 08:57:50 am »
Hi.  I think it's safe to say that there's no chance of a selection if your points are under 135.
Will you only have 120 points even with a job offer (if I'm reading this correctly)?  If so, then I highly doubt you will ever be selected.  This is my opinion only - from reading about the subject for 2 years.  Be wary of considering coming over on a work visa and thinking you will eventually get citizenship without the points.  It won't happen and the NZ government treats every case fairly (read: no exceptions).  Staying here on a work visa isn't financially viable as it costs a lot to live here and you won't easily get state medical assistance.  So I doubt that there'll be many $$ to take home to SA.
18 March 2013 - EOI submitted
3 April 2013 - EOI selected
10 May 2013 - ITA issued
23 July 2013 - ITA submitted
18 Sep 2014 - Resident visas approved
28 Feb 2015 - The chicken has landed!

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 08:57:50 am »

Offline ColinSam

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 09:03:38 am »
Many thanks, it is an eye opener.  I will keep you updated as to what happens.  We might have calculated the points incorrectly - I hope.

Offline mbl77

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 05:35:52 pm »
+1 to what Zedd said.

What you can do is go to one of the immigration seminars held in South Africa by some of the agents. For about R1000 they will do a short personal consultation afterwards too, where they give you a realistic assessment and can answer some questions for you. After this I'm sure you'll have a better idea of what your options, if any, are (bearing in mind that the agent will obviously be trying to sell their services and may make it sound harder to do than it actually is).

We went to a seminar with Immagine (http://www.immigration.co.nz/), and the paid consultation was enough to convince us that we can do the process ourselves (we had 135 points).

Offline TheJo

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 08:07:06 am »
If your points are at 70 without the job then I'm guessing you don't have any qualifications. Are you able to get a skilled job? I went to an immigration seminar before and they made it sound as though you just needed a job and then you were sorted. That is really not the case. You need a job that is either skilled (see INZ's "List of skilled occupations") or on one of the shortage lists (in which case you must also meet the education and experience requirements). As the others have said if you did get "a job" and then a work visa it does not automatically mean that you'll get residence.

An agent can help you understand the process and tell you what paperwork to get, but at the end of the day there are no special favours or privileges they entitle you to. 
11 Feb 15: Residence visa approved

Offline Seeker

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 10:15:47 am »
We found that on the surface it appeared that we would be able to claim certain points, but when we really started to fine comb the guides and rules some points is only given in very specific circumstances. So beware.  :smart:

For example: On the quick online assessment (points indicator) it says: Do you have a qualification in any of New Zealand's identified future growth areas? We do, so we originally ticked it and thought that we would be able to claim the 10 bonus points. But when it came to filling in the online EOI it very specifically stated that you can only claim these bonus points if you have current skilled employment or an offer of skilled employment. This was mentioned nowhere else, not even on the paper based EOI.