Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Cars back in SA  (Read 1301 times)

Offline Katvis

Cars back in SA
« on: March 16, 2015, 12:47:13 pm »
Hi all

We are flying next week and I am struggling to get my cars sold.  Anyone had the same issue, and what did you do at the end.

Offline TheJo

Re: Cars back in SA
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 01:37:26 am »
Had the same issue and at the end I used http://www.webuycars.co.za/. They offer a bit more than dealer prices but still way less than selling privately.

Their service was good though. I still needed my car until after I left as I needed to drive to the airport and then let my father drive the car back (his car was in need of repair so he couldn't drive me in his). The rep arranged that they would pay me a deposit (I can't remember how much) and then they collected the car from my father and paid the rest while they were there. I chose the EFT route but they will also pay you out in cash if you so choose. They also come to you, just phone, or complete the online form and they'll arrange a time.
11 Feb 15: Residence visa approved

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 01:37:26 am »

Offline mbl77

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 02:03:13 am »
We sold ours to a dealer. Less money than we would have gotten with a private sale, but it made it easy to plan an exact date that we'd hand the cars in.

Offline Zedd

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 10:59:36 am »
Get the book value from phoning an insurance company like outsurance. That's the minimum. There's a lot of people making money from buying people's cars like that and then flicking them on to dealers.
18 March 2013 - EOI submitted
3 April 2013 - EOI selected
10 May 2013 - ITA issued
23 July 2013 - ITA submitted
18 Sep 2014 - Resident visas approved
28 Feb 2015 - The chicken has landed!

Offline TheJo

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 08:55:04 am »
Get the book value from phoning an insurance company like outsurance. That's the minimum.

I've found that this doesn't get you far in terms of what dealers etc. will likely pay you for your car.
11 Feb 15: Residence visa approved