Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Finding work worthwhile?  (Read 1236 times)

Offline justinb107

Finding work worthwhile?
« on: March 21, 2015, 01:36:17 am »
Hi Guys, I am planning to come over to NZ on a visitors visa for approximately 2 weeks, on a mission to find some work in the web development industry. So as a web developer, it is listed on the long term skills shortage list, what are my visa options? would I be able to get a permanent residency? what type of money will I need for a 2 weeks stay? I have a vast amount of skills, but my core skills are C#, SQL Server and ASP.NET, would it be easy for me to secure a position at a company as I plan to have a few interviews scheduled before I leave.

Offline Zedd

Re: Finding work worthwhile?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 05:20:35 am »
C# is big in NZ. You shouldn't have a problem finding work. Check the eoi score calculator on the immigration site to see if you can come over on a skilled migrant visa. That gets you residency.
For an LSD trip, you can budget around $50 pd for accommodation alone in a backpackers. Another 15 if you want to eat on the cheap. I'd say another 15 for transport.  Another 15 for sundries. I'd say take $100 pd and multiply it by 30% if you're going to Auckland. That is my thumb suck because I'm sure that you'll do your research before you arrive.
18 March 2013 - EOI submitted
3 April 2013 - EOI selected
10 May 2013 - ITA issued
23 July 2013 - ITA submitted
18 Sep 2014 - Resident visas approved
28 Feb 2015 - The chicken has landed!

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 05:20:35 am »

Offline justinb107

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 10:20:18 am »
Thanx for the reply Zedd.....

Well this is awesome news, and have confirmed my research. I have however only completed my first year at college, at which point in time I had been offered a job at a reputable medical aid company after an internship. When I started at this company, I learnt all my skills that I have today, as college was bombarded with old technologies and methods. I should hopefully be there by end of May this year, and if I find a job, I will get a work visa, and my girlfriend will follow. She has an certificate in business management which is internationally accredited. How difficult will it be for her to find work in NZ? What are all the documents, etc that I will need to get a PR or work visa?

Offline TheJo

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 10:25:53 pm »
It's better to read up on INZ's website to see what documents they require. They have guides you can download for the various visas which detail their requirements. If you want more information than that there is also the INZ operations manual that you can get off their website.
11 Feb 15: Residence visa approved

Offline yusuf

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 12:02:31 am »
Justin, your girlfriend's work may not be in a skills shortage area. If so, getting a work permit won't be as easy as it would be for you. Do a bit of reading on the inz website: www.immigration.govt.nz
If you have been living together for more than (i think) 1 year, then its not a problem. She will get her visa through yours.
DIY Residence Application - Roughly 18 months
Arrived in Wellington with Residence - 1st May 2013
Relocated to Auckland - 24th May 2015
PR Approved - 19th Nov 2015

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 10:23:28 pm »
Justin, you are on the right track but make sure to do as Thejo said and read all you can on the NZIS site. It is a fantastic library of info.

Also see how many years experience you have. I am assuming you did not complete your qualification from what you said ? This will make it trickier as you will need to prove your experience in your expertise. My husband did not have any papers, but had 15 years experience to back him up. What he did was find put what he needed, then he personally wrote the letters for the companies he had done contract work for, including all the  necessary items, gave it to them and they read it, agreed, and signed them.  Remember, just a letter of recommendation will,not suffice,you have to prove through these letters that you are qualified to do the specific jobs.

Regarding your girlfriend. Make sure you have a paper trail about your relationship. We had been together 20 years, married for 10, two kids and our marriage certificate was not enough. Get letters from your doctor, your library, any medical aid or other insurances you share. Anything that shows you share, get a letter. The more, the merrier. Photos too.

Good luck