Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: What are the chances...  (Read 1108 times)

Offline TimH87

What are the chances...
« on: June 15, 2015, 09:20:55 am »
Howsit Guys

Firstly what an awesome forum you guys have going here. I've been reading through quite a few threads and the information is priceless.

I have a few questions though, i am married 28 yer old with 2 kids. My area of expertise is Facilities Management. My problem however is that the field of Facilities Management is quite young im not even sure they have it over in NZ? I am more into the bookeeping \Account Payable side of the FM Field but do have the experience of all the other divisions as well.( just over 6 years experience). The main problem for me is i dont have much of a qualification. I did one year at varsity and i have a bookeeping certificate. And from what i am reading this is not much.

I have been in the IT industry before i entered Facilities Management as a Field Service Engineer. I had done that for about 3 years but again with minimal qualifications.

I Do however have family over there already, a first cousin, in Wellington.

What are my chances of getting into New Zealand with such minimal qualifications and what would be the best route for me to take?

Thanks in advance for your help guys and gals O0

« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 09:22:46 am by TimH87 »

Offline TheJo

Re: What are the chances...
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 10:30:07 pm »
Hi TimH87 and  :welcome:

If I understand you, the field you work in is Facilities Management but your job description is bookkeeper. You have IT experience but have been out of the industry for around 6 years.

Regardless of the field you work in, the job you do needs to either be on a skills shortage list, or considered skilled (on INZ's list of skilled occupations) to qualify for most work visas. A bookkeeper is not on any of those lists:http://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz/bookkeeper/

The work visa I've linked to below is for a Talent work visa where you need a job offer from an accredited employer. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/worktoresidence/caniworkinnz/accreditedemployersrequirements.htm. The other work visas require the employer to prove that your work is on the skills shortage list, or that there are no kiwis who possess your skill-set (and none can be trained in a reasonable time frame).

Having family in Wellington is helpful for you to have somewhere to stay but it won't help your visa. "Family" counts towards points on your EOI if you are applying for residence under the skilled migrant category, but only if it is an adult son or daughter, parents, or adult siblings.

11 Feb 15: Residence visa approved

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 10:30:07 pm »

Offline TimH87

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 07:56:01 am »
Thanks for the welcome TheJo ;D O0

Your summation is almost correct. I am a Facilities Manager, meaning i do not only do the bookkeeping side of things, i run the Facilities Maintenance Helpdesk and help out on the procurement side as well as help out with out building contractors(ie. for servicing on AC Units,Cooling towers, Gondolas etc) So the field is quite broad.

Thanks for your assistance bud. Its greatly appreciated