Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Hello from Auckland  (Read 2107 times)

Offline Auckland_Adrian

Hello from Auckland
« on: July 25, 2015, 12:58:22 am »
Hi all,

I stumbled onto this site while searching for some new biltong and droewors recipes  ;D ;D

Did a few reads and figured I should join up and help my fellow Saffers with any questions they may have around NZ. life in NZ, employment etc.

A bit about myself.....
I quit working in SA in 1999 due to the usual politics and started contracting in Africa, EU and the UK and retruring to SA to my wife and son and family every 3-6 months. This was hell and hard but earning tax free Euro, Pound and US$ was worth it given the status-quo back in SA.
I came to NZ to visit a mate in Wellington 2007, received a job offer 2 weeks after arriving in NZ, started work a week later as the job offer was listed on NZ'ed critical skills shortage list.

I was intern head hunted by another company 4 months later, changed my work visa and started with the new company a month later and earning a comfortable wage today and with my wife's salary, we are sitting on a very comfortable nest egg that will only grow over time. Ive been with this company for 8 years now and have moved well up the company chain though hard work, loyalty and dedication. I cant ask for more in an employer and neither can my wife.

We moved to Auckland 4 years ago and never looked back as we despised the cold and windy conditions of Wellington. We have never returned to SA and have no desire to either, be it for funerals or weddings, we are really happy living in NZ and we both agreed to remember SA for what it was and not tarnish those memories by returning to experience the downturn first hand.

Vacations are taken to Australia to visit family and friends or to Raro, Fiji, Samoa, Hawaii or Asia. Myself and my family love it here, and have not once thought of returning to SA. There where the initial few instances where we missed family and friends in the first year or 2 but that passes and you make new friends and family and friend that you leave behind soon envy your new found joy and safety and end up following you in due time.

My wife has a high paying job in a huge construction company in NZ and loves her job, I'm in senior management with a large NZ Telco/Datacom company. My kids are all in school, active in sport and excelling in their school work. University in in the pipeline for them in the near future.

Yes, life is good in NZ yet there are the down sides as well. Every country has them, New Zealand just has a lot less of them. And the down sides experienced in NZ would be considered as petty back in SA.

I'm happy to answer any questions but please be aware of this caveat:
Please remember that this is a settlement support forum. You may NOT ask questions regarding the immigration application process, or answer them. It is against the law in New Zealand to provide immigration advise without a license and the penalty for doing so is $100 000 and / or 7 years in prison. This law counts whether you are IN New Zealand or not. If you ask or answer immigration application related questions here they will be deleted. If you repeatedly do so, your account will be deleted. If you require advice regarding the application process you can visit the immigration New Zealand website HERE

Think about your question first and consider if there is possible conflict to the above clause. Ive assisted many friends and family move to NZ and will gladly help others but at the end of the day its you that wants to move and not me. So please don't expect me to do any leg work for you or carry out any research on your behalf that you can do for yourself however I'm more than happy to point you in the right direction or offer free advice or even pick you up at the airport on condition you shout me the costs of petrol and parking charges  :2funny: Parking costs are huge when converting NZ$ to SA Rands. Send me a private message if you are unsure so lets keep the peace and tread carefully around this please.

I really take pleasure in seeing fellow South Africans succeed in NZ where they are denied a fair path to success in SA and will go out of my way to help my fellow South Africans achieve success.

To preempt the expected, I cannot get you a job and neither can my wife, simple as that. I already receive around 8-10 CV's from fellow South Africans every month asking to help them get a job. 
I can however point you to the employment agencies and have the following advice for you:
No NZ company will hire you if you cannot present yourself in person for an interview.
No NZ company will hire you if you cannot start work in a month or 2 after being offered a job so be prepared to get over to NZ at short notice.
There are exception in that some companies will conduct and interview via Skype (a personal friend was hired like this) or pay for your flight over to NZ for an interview but this is rare and only done if you have the special skill set that cannot be sourced locally in NZ.

Adrian

Offline Zedd

Re: Hello from Auckland
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 02:06:08 pm »
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 02:49:09 am by Zedd »
18 March 2013 - EOI submitted
3 April 2013 - EOI selected
10 May 2013 - ITA issued
23 July 2013 - ITA submitted
18 Sep 2014 - Resident visas approved
28 Feb 2015 - The chicken has landed!

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 02:06:08 pm »

Offline Hope2Go2

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 02:41:43 pm »
Hi Adrian, it's most sweet of you to offer to help.  Thanks also for sharing your story.  Deciding to emigrate is such a gut-wrenching, nail-biting, emotional roller coaster-riding affair that positive stories of happy ex-pats are very valuable when you're in the throngs of it all.

Your last paragraph does give me a bit of a sinking feeling, I must confess.  We're still hoping hubby will find something via Skype once we (hopefully) manage to get a PR visa - many fingers crossed.  I know you're giving the picture of typical reality here.  I mean, it's not even too easy to find work in Cape Town while you're living in Jhb.

Anyways, enjoy living the dream, mate!  And I hope you find those perfect biltong and droëwors recipes you've been looking for.   ;)
Feb 2015 - Submit EOI, selected
Mar 2015 - ITA received
May 2015 - NZ Medicals done
Jun 2015 - PR application submitted
Jul 2015 - Received NZQA Assessment result
Oct 2015 - Case officer assigned
16 Dec 2015:  Residence approved!

Offline Auckland_Adrian

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 08:01:49 am »
Your last paragraph does give me a bit of a sinking feeling, I must confess.  We're still hoping hubby will find something via Skype once we (hopefully) manage to get a PR visa - many fingers crossed.  I know you're giving the picture of typical reality here.  I mean, it's not even too easy to find work in Cape Town while you're living in Jhb.

Anyways, enjoy living the dream, mate!  And I hope you find those perfect biltong and droëwors recipes you've been looking for.   ;)

Hi,

This should bring up your spirits,

In NZ you will always find work. I found it harder to get work in SA than in NZ.
I don't know of anyone who has sat around without work for a long. Provided they are prepared to work hard and in most cases for people entering NZ, it means having to drop down a level or 2. Getting back to where you where in SA once you start working NZ shouldn't take too long as the companies here quickly recognize hard workers, skilled employees and employees with potential. Slackers will always be slackers and they usually get weeded out early.

I started back on the tools when I first came to NZ despite being a Country Manager in Africa for a US company. I used that opportunity to familiarize myself with the NZ industries, players, standards etc and build up the necessary training and skills I required while working in a role that required considerable less responsibility. Once my family secured Permanent residency, my wife had completed her diplomas and I was confident we could move up in our careers we decided to give it our all. And it worked for us.

I firmly believe that anyone who comes to NZ with the right frame of mind and the correct attitude can succeed.
LSD Trips  :2funny: :2funny: (Look, See, Decide) are very valuable. I love at term  :blush:

I've met a couple of FOB's (Fresh Off the Boat's) who missed their family and friends too much or couldn't handle the fact that they held a senior position back in SA and had dropped in status in order to take up a role in NZ, pack up and leave NZ after only a few months in NZ. You have to be committed and hell bent on making it succeed. It doesn't matter what country you go to, you have to work at making it a success and NZ is no exception.

Good luck with your PR application and any job opportunities that may land in your lap, and they do if you look hard enough  :gl:

Offline Hope2Go2

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 08:44:00 am »
Thanks for your encouragement, Adrian. 

Our plan is to look for work via the internet and Skype for maybe a year after (hopefully) getting that PR visa - which is awaiting allocation to a case officer.  If that doesn't work, we'll probably have to take the huge leap into the unknown, all stops pulled.

Hubby tends to be overqualified (with multiple M degrees and a PhD), so I think he is the type of person who could maybe find something via Skype.  He is as much at ease doing the dishes or using a broom as he is using specialized, scientific equipment though!   :smitten:  I'm more jack-of-all-trades IT generalist, so I should find it easier to get something fast in NZ - although I'm currently a stay-at-home mommy to two small kiddos, and was hoping we could keep on doing that for a few years more.

Anyway, the reassurances of you  guys in NZ is invaluable to us here in SA, know that.  Knowing that others have gone, made it and loved it makes so much difference.   :clap:
Feb 2015 - Submit EOI, selected
Mar 2015 - ITA received
May 2015 - NZ Medicals done
Jun 2015 - PR application submitted
Jul 2015 - Received NZQA Assessment result
Oct 2015 - Case officer assigned
16 Dec 2015:  Residence approved!

Offline CarynN

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 03:23:02 pm »
Hi there  :)

I'm new to this forum website and I just felt it necessary to comment on Adrians' post even though it's from a while back.

It is such a sigh of relief to hear such positivity coming through on the employment side of things, I wish more people would feel the need to be this encouraging on forums.

My family and I are doing extensive research to decide to move to Canada(Hubbys choice) or New Zealand(My dream :smitten:), or atleast it was my dream until I kept reading again and again about how bad the economy is in NZ and there not being enough work for immigrants especially. I've been so sad since I started reading about employment in NZ.

I wish more South Africans could share their positive experiences here for us to read!

I will do anything to be able to move to NZ but it's not just about me, so this becomes a whole lot more intense for work, housing, schooling, travel, day care, environmental enjoyment, and so many more.

Please encourage others that have successfully immigrated to post their stories, I beg you, we need this so I can convince the hubby to choose NZ instead :'(

Sweet Regards

Offline Seeker

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 12:02:26 pm »
Hi Caryn,

I know your heart is set on NZ for whatever reason/s and your hubby's is set on Canada for his own reasons. I think however the goal should not be to win the battle and convince your hubby than NZ is the best instead of Canada, but rather to truly find the place where both of you can be happy, whichever country it may be. Best of luck!

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 12:02:26 pm »

Offline CarynN

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 07:28:28 am »
You are right Seeker, I just wish knowing of more places with South African climate and reasonable employment availability was a little easier. We are so afraid that the locals -wherever we immigrate to- will also not accept us as outsiders. All we know is we have to escape South Africa asap, it has become quite frightening with crime, lack of jobs to those deserving, an extremely corrupt government and our Rand value has taken strain. Huge concerns, not only for me and hubby but mostly for the future of our little girl(6).   :'(

It's so sad for us that we have to leave all our family behind and move out of a country we grew up in only because it hasn't been taken care like it should've. I sometimes just wish there were people more important than our local government that could stand in and say that things seriously need to improve or else...

Offline TheJo

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 07:52:57 am »
CarynN, I can hear what a difficult place you're in. It sounds like you really want to live somewhere that is just like SA but without all the extreme negatives. I hope you find the right place for you both.
11 Feb 15: Residence visa approved

Offline mbl77

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 05:42:41 pm »
It sounds like you really want to live somewhere that is just like SA but without all the extreme negatives. I hope you find the right place for you both.

CarynN, if that is what you're looking for, then I'm afraid it doesn't exist. There is no place just like SA. Wherever you decide to move in the world, it will be very different. Even if, like perhaps New Zealand, it seems to be very similar. Since you seem to have a choice, choose your new country based on the things you want, not the things you're leaving.

Offline itsgone6

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 10:16:28 am »
Hi there Adrian and co,

I'm busy considering my options wrt a job in Auckland and want to know where to negotiate. I've been doing some research and I want to know if I can live comfortably and save $2000 pm?

I've previously lived in the UK for 6y and now working for an SA company for 4y (cross border though - so used to disposable income). In a nutshell - I don't want to accept a job in NZ and find myself cash strapped or eating into savings to fund a lifestyle. Or not being able to buy a ticket to Croatia for a trip etc.

Jobs in my field - $80k - $120k pa. I think - no listings found online (quick search) for my direct role (Project Planner - Thermal Power - Also Mining Process Plants)
I'm single

I'd prefer to rent alone or even share with one person - furnished - I'll come with no furniture
I'll need a car and I see some jobs offer it in my field - if not I'll buy
How's Uber in Auckland - I use it a lot when in Joburg (home - bar - home - airport) or abroad
I eat simply - healthy
I'm a coffee snob - so may grab an Espresso when out but enjoy a home brew
I enjoy a beer or two at the pub with mates and a weekend braai - should be in any reasonable budget :)
I've got the other stuff - cellphone, laptop, stuff stuff and don't do 24 month contracts - so prepaid or month to month is my game

Am I crazy? Loosing the plot?

Martin