Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: The negative side of going to NZ  (Read 4170 times)

Offline Seeker

Re: The negative side of going to NZ
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2015, 02:41:54 pm »
I did quite a bit of research regarding this subject and 1080 is definitely not used as last resort in NZ. That is why I find it quite an issue. It seems to be more of a money making business for somebody high up........

Offline Seeker

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 01:45:57 pm »
This might sound like a bit of a weird question, but how does the fact that people use a lot of wood burners influence the air quality in the winter? The reason why I ask is in the area where we stay in CPT there are a lot of fire places and in the recent few years with electricity prices getting higher and higher people tend to use their fire places more and more during winter time. This causes a lot of smoke pollution especially at night. It seems like a few blocks around where we stay are particularly bad and we had to get a decent air filter to use in our bedroom at night. Does NZ also have this type of air quality problems in the town/cities during winter time?

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 01:45:57 pm »

Offline mbl77

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2015, 06:10:13 pm »
I can imagine how it could be a problem, but it seems to be ok around where we stay, and most houses here run wood-burners (including us). There are regulations around the performance of wood burners in urban areas - http://www.mfe.govt.nz/air/national-environmental-standards-air-quality/about-wood-burners/nes-requirements

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2015, 09:31:12 pm »
The rules now state they have to be compliant wood burners. Some people who did not want to spend the money on changing theirs, don't use them anymore. I always look for a house to rent with a log burner. Way prefer it during winter. In fact, last night was the first time we didn't make a fire since May, and my daughter missed it so much she asked me if I could promised we would make a fire once a week in summer. I said no.  :D. We don't have a problem with smoke at all, and all our neighbours have log burners.

Having said that, we are high up, and it think if you lived in a dip, it could affect you.