Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Decided to........stay!  (Read 1409 times)

Offline oliviermarisa

Decided to........stay!
« on: November 10, 2015, 01:23:25 pm »
I just wanted to come back after loads of research, to say that we've taken everything into account, the prospects of a new life, new jobs, better future for our kids and in the end, with the light that we currently have, we have decided to stay in SA.  We will face all the challenges with our support network of friends and family and come what may, this is where faith in our Lord comes in and also trusting that He will lead us where we should go.  If it is to move to NZ after all in a few years, then so be it. But for now, the pros still outweighs the cons in living in the country where people understand your heritage and where you come from, your culture and in our case also your mother tongue.  We want to grab the opportunity to contribute in supporting our nearest and dearest, also because parents will soon be dependent on us. Everyone's situation is and will always be unique, only you can stand in your own shoes and make the best decision for that moment.

Offline yusuf

Re: Decided to........stay!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 08:57:11 pm »
Hi. Good on you. I definitely respect your choice.
In my opinion, anyone who isn't 100% certain that NZ is for them, or that they need out of SA, is better of living in SA. Otherwise one makes themselves miserable constantly comparing.
SA has heaps of issues, but it has a culture and vibe that, in my opinion, cannot be matched.
I also understand how your faith comes into play here, and I respect that.
Wishing you the very best going forward.
DIY Residence Application - Roughly 18 months
Arrived in Wellington with Residence - 1st May 2013
Relocated to Auckland - 24th May 2015
PR Approved - 19th Nov 2015

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 08:57:11 pm »

Offline Totally Kiwi

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 03:48:48 am »
[Deleted by author]
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 12:48:14 am by Totally Kiwi »
I have deleted all my posts and am no longer involved here. Too many spammers.

EOI submitted: June 25, 2008
EOI drawn: July 21, 2008
ITA submitted: September 18, 2008
PR visa received: November 7, 2008
Arrival in NZ: November 22, 2008
Became NZ citizen: November 14, 2013 (gave up ZA citizenship)

Offline Hope2Go2

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 09:10:40 am »
Hi Marisa, your story resonates with me.

We've talked about emigration since 2005 and always decided against it for all the reasons that you have just mentioned and more.  Things changed for us in 2013 and we have since been doing what we can to get the emigration process in gear.

I can't regret the additional years we had with loved ones an friends in (what arguably used to be) our beloved country.  But when we finally had kids we realized we wanted something different for them.  Only thing is, that it would have been easy for us to go to Oz in 2005.  At the moment, due to our changed circumstances, that is not an option any more.  NZ seems like our best bet for now.  (Possibly a better choice than Oz anyway, hey?  ;) )

So we don't have many regrets about not going ten years ago, we will probably have a lot of regrets if things do not work out for us this time round.  But yes, it would be best to keep on believing things work out the way they are supposed to.

Anyway, maybe you'll never change your mind and live happily in SA ever after.  All the best to you!
Feb 2015 - Submit EOI, selected
Mar 2015 - ITA received
May 2015 - NZ Medicals done
Jun 2015 - PR application submitted
Jul 2015 - Received NZQA Assessment result
Oct 2015 - Case officer assigned
16 Dec 2015:  Residence approved!