Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Appliances to take or leave....  (Read 6586 times)

Offline Tania

Appliances to take or leave....
« on: June 19, 2007, 08:20:30 pm »
I've been told by friends in auckland that most houses there have stoves, dishwashers and even in the odd case a fridge....He says it's standard with most houses when you rent.....Is this true?We are heading there or wellies and were wondering whether we should bring these items with.  We are taking most of our stuff in a container....we will rent at first and propobly buy within a year or so...What are your experiences/info..... :confused:

worsie

Re: Appliances to take or leave....
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 09:14:34 pm »
Well our stuff has just been packed up today  :clap: :clap: :clap: We also off to wellies

Fridge - If your fridge is more than 10 years old its probably illegal in NZ due to the gas or something, we could not take ours with and resorting to buying a new one here in SA. Fridges are very expensive from what I have seen in NZ.

I have also noticed that many place have dishwashers, however ours is on its way.

I really would not take a stove with, we have left ours behind. Every single place i have seen has a stove.

From what I have seen, appliances seem very expensive, and if you are paying for a container you may as well fill it.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 09:22:51 pm by worsie »

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 09:14:34 pm »

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 10:04:47 pm »
Rentals have all the appliances we are used to plus often a dishwasher thrown in too, sometimes a few extras, but I wouldn't always count on the condition of these items, see them as bonuses when looking for rentals.

If you are taking a container, them make sure it is as full as you can pack it - at least you know it is paid for.

worsie

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 10:56:01 pm »
If you are taking a container, them make sure it is as full as you can pack it - at least you know it is paid for.

I agree, we have taken everything.

PS, some things are not worth the effort. Lawnmowers, weedeaters etc. I was told to leave them behind because its such a problem with cleaning the grass off them. NZ has something against our grass  :2funny:

Badprop

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 06:45:00 am »
Hiaya,  if you have space in the container, take it with it's no sweat.  If you get on the otherside and they have quality stuff there already, you can sell it and make a better profit there than here.

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 08:21:06 pm »
Maybe our grass is too strong for them?  :2funny:

Worsie, tell your gardener that he must service the lawnmower and weed-eater - then let him clean off all the grass, unscrew the lawnmower top and brush out all the grass stuck in there, etc. then you will be fine and can take it with  O0

worsie

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 08:57:08 pm »
Maybe our grass is too strong for them?  :2funny:

Worsie, tell your gardener that he must service the lawnmower and weed-eater - then let him clean off all the grass, unscrew the lawnmower top and brush out all the grass stuck in there, etc. then you will be fine and can take it with  O0

Too late, our container is leaving tomorrow. But our gardener is now a proud owner of a flymo and R199 no name brand weedeater.

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 08:57:08 pm »

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 09:44:27 pm »
and our domestic is the proud owner of a stove hob and some cupboards and the gardener owns an oven and the rest of the kitchen cupboards.

Offline almostakiwi

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 10:23:04 pm »
The only thing I regret bringing is the fridge, all the places we have looked at to rent cannot fit a double door fridge, We have now baught a smaller fridge for the kitchen and will keep the big one in the garage.

Dont bring the stove, and most places have a dishwasher and some even have a microwave. Haven't seen any places that come with a fridge though. Oh yes, free humidity included in all houses :)

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 07:28:13 am »
do most houses have a de-humidifier installed?

worsie

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 07:39:06 am »
Thats weird.

We have a humidifier for my daughters room as she suffers from croupe (not sure on spelling). Guess we won't be using that any more.

Whats the humidily like in NZ compared to Durbs? And are the humidity levels higher in the north of the north island than everywhere else?

Offline Shirls

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 08:00:35 am »
I know my sisters house does not have a humidifier in it... so if you need one, take one just in case!

When we were over in May, I did not notice the humidity. Even in Auckland. But I think summer would be very different.
When we got off the plane in Durbs, we could feel the humidity even at 9.30 at night! But then again we have not had much of a winter here have we?

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 08:00:35 am »

Offline nazmahomed

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 01:14:37 pm »
I would be surprised if the humidity is as bad as here in Durban. I hope its not anyway...
"never let the fear of striking out,keep you from playing the game"

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 04:16:50 pm »
I've been told the humidity is not as bad as Durban, thank goodness !

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 11:41:44 pm »
I think Auckland humidity is the same as Durbs ??? I hate humidity and that was one of our reasons for moving. It's not very noticable in the winter, I think it actually keeps it warmer?

Nolan, they don't have dehumidifiers in houses, you have to buy your own, but some houses have a special dehumidifying system in them. O0

I thought people were just being silly about complaining about the houses being cold and damp, but now that I'm living in an old house I can see what they mean :-\
The newer houses are better O0