Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: DIY or Immigration Advisor?  (Read 2199 times)

Offline hugopve

• For now we see but through a glass darkly
    • HVC Group PTY (LTD)
DIY or Immigration Advisor?
« on: March 06, 2016, 07:01:22 am »
Good morning folks,

Hugo here :-) My husband and I have decided to make the move. Points without job application is around 160 as he is on the skills shortage list. My question is regarding the EOI and ITA. How many of you did the application process yourself vs using a licensed immigration advisor?

Thanks in advance!
H
2/4/16 EOI submitted
13/4/16 EOI selected
23/4/16 ITA received
3/5/16 Medicals completed
24/5/16 ITA submitted
26/5/16 ITA lodged and paid
6/6/16 IO Assigned
13/6/16 Resident VISA Approved
21/6/16 VISA issued
24/6/16 Passports received back from London
9/7/16 Arrived in Auckland

Offline mbl77

Re: DIY or Immigration Advisor?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 04:51:26 pm »
Good morning folks,

Hugo here :-) My husband and I have decided to make the move. Points without job application is around 160 as he is on the skills shortage list. My question is regarding the EOI and ITA. How many of you did the application process yourself vs using a licensed immigration advisor?

Thanks in advance!
H

There are several previous threads here discussing this. Many of us did it ourselves. If you have the points then I don't think the paperwork is especially difficult. Just make sure that you read and re-read the very detailed instructions, and follow them to the letter.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 04:51:26 pm »

Offline Hope2Go2

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 07:18:52 am »
We paid an agent a fortune with an application to another country.  I cannot tell you how badly our application got screwed up, but will just say that the agent got criminally prosecuted in the end and we were asked whether the details of our application could be included in the case.  (The agent came highly recommended, had won a prize for being an excellent agent a year or two before and a friend who had used them were very happy.  They ran into financial trouble shortly before we appointed them though.)

Needless to say, we did our NZ application ourselves and got our visa in December last year (the other country is no longer an option).  We also had enough points and our application was straight-forward.
Feb 2015 - Submit EOI, selected
Mar 2015 - ITA received
May 2015 - NZ Medicals done
Jun 2015 - PR application submitted
Jul 2015 - Received NZQA Assessment result
Oct 2015 - Case officer assigned
16 Dec 2015:  Residence approved!

Offline Totally Kiwi

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 03:29:19 am »
[Deleted by author]
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 12:57:05 am by Totally Kiwi »
I have deleted all my posts and am no longer involved here. Too many spammers.

EOI submitted: June 25, 2008
EOI drawn: July 21, 2008
ITA submitted: September 18, 2008
PR visa received: November 7, 2008
Arrival in NZ: November 22, 2008
Became NZ citizen: November 14, 2013 (gave up ZA citizenship)

Offline hugopve

• HVC Group PTY (LTD)
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 03:50:28 am »
I will provide an update for anyone new to this forum asking this very same question:

Completing the EOI: We decided to take the DIY route and while the online EOI is time-consuming to complete it is by no means difficult enough to warranty paying an advisor large sums of money to do it for you. It also doesn't cost you anything to complete it, and if you fill all the details in correctly you will get an accurate points score. Less than 140 means don't waste your time. The section on "other family" confused us, but as it turns out this was to supply details of people who you would consider family if they were to apply for residence in the future. In short only those whose details you supply in that section would get points. YOU DO NOT have list your entire pedigree.

Government Documents: We managed to secure our unabridged-everything in just over a month. It took me several trips to home affairs, two trips to the criminal record centre and 1 trip to the HPCSA to get it all done. ID and Passport are simple enough, but unabridged birth and marriage certificates are a joke. Police clearance to exactly a month. Either way, we can count ourselves fortunate that we got ours done so quickly. If you are in Johannesburg I can recommend the Home Affairs office in Roodepoort. PM me if you want the contact details for one of the car guards there. He will keep a parking space for you as well as queue so you can be first in line.

Work References: I tend to stay at companies for more than 18 months, so having to go and ask for reference or employment letters from everyone I have worked for since the late 2000's appeared to be a daunting task. Luckily it wasn't since I left all my past employers in good standing and still had contact with most of them. I drafted letters to each one clearly stating all my responsibilities, commencement and duration of employment and politely asked if they would transfer the content onto their letterhead, sign and send back. Not a single one turned down my request :-) I believe that, as secondary applicant on the EOI and subsequent ITA, I will not be required to submit these to INZ but I am happy to have the papers to prove my experience either way. I am certain that NZ employers will ask for them either way.

And that's the situation as it stands at present folks. Our EOI was selected in the 13/4/2016 draw so now we wait to, hopefully, receive the ITA :-)
2/4/16 EOI submitted
13/4/16 EOI selected
23/4/16 ITA received
24/5/16 ITA submitted
6/6/16 IO Assigned
21/6/16 VISA issued

Offline Tian Bothma

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 08:27:32 am »
Hi All.

If you are going to use an agent, use a decent one! We used a company that specializes in NZ immigration and the help and advice we got from them was invaluable. Our application process has been flawless. We have been in NZ for 9 weeks and got word yesterday that out residency has been approved! Please let me know if anyone wants their details.

Good luck!

Offline hugopve

• HVC Group PTY (LTD)
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 04:37:58 pm »
Thanks Tian,

We went the DIY route and all's going perfectly. We received our ITA exactly 3 weeks after submitting our EOI, and will be sending the completed ITA with all the docs in the next two weeks.
2/4/16 EOI submitted
13/4/16 EOI selected
23/4/16 ITA received
24/5/16 ITA submitted
6/6/16 IO Assigned
21/6/16 VISA issued

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 04:37:58 pm »

Offline DandK

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 11:50:43 am »
HI Tian

Can you please share their details? Are they based in SA?

Thank you.

Offline hugopve

• HVC Group PTY (LTD)
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 04:01:29 pm »
Hey Dan,

Get in touch with Sanjeev Singh, sanj@newzealand.co.za. They are a local agency with offices in Jozie, Cape Town and Durban. Even though we did our process ourselves Sanjeev was kind enough to answer one or two questions I had throughout the process.

They are also considerably cheaper than the New Zealand based agencies.

Best,
H
2/4/16 EOI submitted
13/4/16 EOI selected
23/4/16 ITA received
24/5/16 ITA submitted
6/6/16 IO Assigned
21/6/16 VISA issued

Offline momof2cute

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 06:51:44 am »
I would DIY and research a lot to know the requirements.

Offline Sarisha

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 06:22:35 am »
Hello All,

I am New to the Forum but super excited to be here,  i am considering immigration to New Zealand and would like to start the process. I have reached out to an agent and they quoted me R80 000 so i am considering DIY. Can someone please be so kind  as to tell me what i need to do first to begin the process.
Thank You