Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Job offer out the blue (or black!)  (Read 1297 times)

Offline Out of the blue

Job offer out the blue (or black!)
« on: March 06, 2016, 02:05:34 pm »
Hello All,

My first post on the forum and hoping to get some advice..

Firstly have just received a job offer from an accredited employer and have read though the forum, however still have some questions about visa requirements.

Being 47 I do not really want to apply for a WTR for residency (would like to apply for citizenship sooner), my future employer is willing to wait up to 6 months, is it worth going the EOI Special skills route to wait for residency first? When do I apply for the rest of the family visas (and what visas) during this process? Are there any restrictions to stay in the country after PR is granted?

Alternatively if I do go WTR, how long does it take to apply for residency after the 2 year period? Are there any international travel restrictions (i.e. Leaving NZ on business) during the 2 year period?

Thank you

Optic
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 05:14:09 am by Optic »

Offline Dan

• Happy for people to friend me on FB as well.
Re: Job offer questions
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 04:25:26 pm »
You should take the offer now and get your work visa. What is the objection to a two year work visa that you can then turn into an application for residency?

You cannot become a citizen any faster. The five-year qualification for a permanent resident to become a citizen is the legal requirement and only the Minister of Internal Affairs can approve variations.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 04:25:26 pm »

Offline Out of the blue

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 08:48:45 pm »
Hi Dan,

I just thought that WTR 2 years does not count towards citizenship, is this not the case? Also how long to get residency after the 2 year WTR route?

Thanks

Offline TheJo

Re: Job offer out the blue (or black!)
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 07:20:11 am »
Get the work visa. You can still apply for residence under the skilled migrant category at any time if you meet all the requirements (whether or not you have a WTR or Essential skills visa). When you apply for residence under the WTR pathway you are applying for a residence from work visa.
11 Feb 15: Residence visa approved

Offline Out of the blue

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 07:39:16 am »
Thank you,

That's exactly what I'll do,  no use letting the offer slip away while awaiting residency, may be more expensive but so be it.

Such a big move never even thought of going to NZ..

Thanks for the advice

Optic

Offline Dan

• Happy for people to friend me on FB as well.
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 09:50:16 am »
Good luck and see you here shortly. :)