Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Plane Tickets  (Read 14295 times)

Offline Johan01

• Certified Addict
Plane Tickets
« on: June 28, 2007, 03:51:35 pm »
I discovered that buying your ticket at a travel agent can cost you. We bought direct from Qantas and it cost us R8736 less for the same flights than buying at flight centre.

how we did it we went to this www.travel.msn.com/default.aspx got the prize of the tickets and also the available seats. Then called antas direct and booked the exect same flights plus the seats that we wanted, paid into their bank account and it's done...

Badprop

Re: Plane Tickets
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 04:13:38 pm »
If you put in for return have a look how empty the plane is....

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 04:13:38 pm »

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 04:51:15 pm »
What was the cost of your tickets Johan ? What number did you call Qantas on ? Is it a 3 month return ?

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 10:26:38 am »
OK my girlfriend phoned Qantas and they quoted us R12100 each.

They say the flight is on SAA however ?

I checked on the SAA website for the same dates, and got a figure of R11816 each, and it says operated by Qantas !

:uglystupid2: :buck2: :idiot2:

tandl

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 10:40:22 am »
Singapore Airlines was R11 900 (and this was with a connecting flight to Joburg) through Pentravel.  Perhaps try them??

Offline nazmahomed

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 10:43:35 am »
I got prices of +- R20 000 for the 3 of us on the Singapore Airlines website for the middle of September. All the other airlines were more expensive and I found that by looking on their website, the prices were cheaper. Let me know if you guys find anything cheaper please
"never let the fear of striking out,keep you from playing the game"

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 11:14:46 am »
tandl, we're only looking to go March 2008. We were in a Pentravel branch last weekend, and they couldn't help us because they can't book further than 10 months in advance. Qantas and FlySAA.com allow me to book the dates I want now.

Most of these travel agencies are pretty "useless".

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 11:14:46 am »

Offline robcraig

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 12:12:57 pm »
This is the part that is really scary. Submitted work visa applications Friday 22nd, haven't heard anything as yet. I am targeting around the 17th July for me to fly, and have the wife come out when the house is sold / transferred. I was quoted R 15 900.00, single adult in economy class, from JHB - Sydney - Wellington, return in 10 months. Blown my budgeting totally as I was expecting around R 12 000.00 each. They reckon it is because I am booking late, and it is high season. Can't make a final booking until the Embassy gives me the work visa, so looks like I'm going to pay BIG. :-\ :confused:

Offline nazmahomed

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 12:36:46 pm »
it is too soon to hear anything from them anyway. They do say that you will have to wait betweek 2-4 weeks depending on their workload.
The  price of your tickets sounds about right. That is what most people are paying during offpeak.
Goodluck and I hope you hear something soon
"never let the fear of striking out,keep you from playing the game"

tandl

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 12:48:02 pm »
Whats really funny about all this is that when I was looking on the internet for flights for April, the internet came out quite a bit more expensive than going into Pentravel!

And Rhodan, its almost July now so surely they can book the tickets for you - its only 8 months away!

And also the actual day you want to fly on makes a big difference too - I found huge price differences on two consecutive days!

Perhaps I will give the lady who helped us a call and find out what price she can get it at.  Sometimes its not what you know, but who you know!!

:whistle:

Offline robcraig

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 01:06:24 pm »
Yep I know Naz, just my new boss in Wellington has already pitched on a project of between $NZ45 and $NZ50 thousand per year, and has told the client that I will oversee the project. The frustration of not being able to tell them an exact arrival date?  :thumbdown:
tandi, if you can find anywhere that I can get flights for a reasonable price, PLEASE let me know. I got my quote from Fligh Centre. Amazing that it is always damn high season whenever you want something or need something urgently!!! :help:
You would think that the ANC governemnt would lay on a plane for us........ they do want us out, so why not?      Yeah......right. :crazy2:

tandl

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 01:11:24 pm »
Ok, let me give her a ring.  You are in Jhb area right?

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 01:11:24 pm »

Offline robcraig

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 02:05:08 pm »
Yes, tandi, we are in Johannesburg. I will appreciate any assistance in that regard. I really didn't bank on my airticket price inflating by R4000.00. Thanks for the effort.

tandl

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2007, 02:17:02 pm »
Still waiting for her to get back to me.... but I spoke to another guy there and he seems to think that if you have a return date a bit sooner that it may make a difference.  Surely you can make it for like 3 months time and then just change it when you are in NZ?

Offline Johan01

• Certified Addict
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2007, 02:25:46 pm »
we are flying next week ... so yes that were not considered as short notice .. and the return is for just over 2 months. Paid qantas cash ... have tickets in the bag ... done ready to go ..
6 slapies nog .. wow .. can you believe it.

qantas number 011-4418550. It helps if you know which flights you want to book ... we even went as far to tell them which seats we want  >:D :clap: :clap: :2funny: :D ;D O0 :twothumbs: