Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Buying a car  (Read 8994 times)

worsie

Buying a car
« on: July 02, 2007, 10:16:55 pm »
Hi, was just wondering about buying a car in NZ.

I would like to buy a car fairly soon after I arrive, obviously the car must then get licensed etc, what sort of information/documentation are they going to require from me to do this? And where will I do this, what is the NZ process? Is it possible to buy a car while I am waiting for my visa to come through, IE while I am still on my visitors visa? I would like to buy the car cash.

Thanks

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
Re: Buying a car
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 10:26:49 pm »
4 days after arriving I went to Ellerslie car fair in Auckland, at the racecourse. Looked around. Bought car cash for $2500.

went to licencing place. Did change of ownership. Thats all. No visa needed.

When licence or WOF expires you must get it relicenced. Simply go into a postshop to do this or a garage to get the WOF done. Simple.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 10:26:49 pm »

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 12:23:49 am »
Hey Brad, we got our first car there too O0 It's a great place to get a cheap car ;)

It's very easy to buy a car here. I'm lucky because hubby is a mechanic, he keeps our cars up to date with WOF etc. He also manages to get good deals on cars, I got my Landy for less then half of what they go for O0

My hubby also has a contact for campervans (hiring or buying) in Auckland, so just PM me if you interested and I will give you his details O0

Johan, I think you wanted one :)

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 03:09:43 am »
yip, it helps if you know something about cars. I just took it for a test drive and then bought it. I was desperate to buy a car that day as I had to get down to Rotorua. Recommend Elleslie to everyone. Every Sunday morning at the racetrack. Get there early for the best deals.

Offline Johan01

• Certified Addict
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 04:50:43 pm »
Bought a car from Ex-SA ... paid him gave cop of my license, he did the rest I just drove of ..
his number i sin the car will get it tommorrow and post it

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 04:31:16 pm »
From what I have heard, even if you go on an extended holiday, it is worthwhile to by a car, and sell it when you leave.  It's pretty much a done thing. These people make things sound so simple and quick.. just another reason to move over.
Rock on to NZ

Offline Johan01

• Certified Addict
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 06:56:41 pm »
Recommend Elleslie to everyone.

Have a meeting there tomorrow that could turn the future for me in NZ ... nice houses and neiborhood..

the guy from the car is Theunis Tel 09 442 2433 e-mail dennis@claytons.co.nz website www.clatons.co.nz mobile no: 021 370 777

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 06:56:41 pm »

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 10:26:30 pm »
First world country ;) :smitten:

worsie

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 04:44:12 am »
Well I will be buying a car next weekend, still waiting for some money to come through.

Been using the wellington public transport, and its really great. Very weird to see children under the age of 10 just climbing onto buses all by themselves.

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 08:02:07 am »
that sure is going to take some getting used to. Candice can't wait to walk to school in NZ  :o  ??? not sure I agree yet  :confused:  :-\

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 08:39:02 am »
No, I still couldn't let Skyla walk to school :( but I see real littlies walking everyday :confused:

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 04:02:57 pm »
The thought of my kids  even using a school bus scares me.

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 04:02:57 pm »

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 10:50:29 pm »
Me Too. We once looked at a farm to rent and the lady said, oh the school bus will pick up your daughter and drop her off right on the driveway. When I said, no ways I will always drive her to school and back, she gave me the weirdest look? I apologised and said that I'm SAn and I just find it difficult. I got the universal kiwi reply, well you're in NZ now dear :-\
Doesn't make it any easier :(

Badprop

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 07:39:37 am »
It's our survival instinct we have fine tuned that will need untuning in NZ.  We have become street smart, now we have to become civilized again.   We have forgotten what it was like when we where kids and could ride our bikes any where and visited friends until late at knight and then walked home.  Kids are gonna be kids again. :clap:

Offline antonjl

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 10:51:27 am »
There is a website at http://www.aalemoncheck.co.nz/ where you can check the history of any vehicle you buy in NZ. It will cost you a bit of money but worth checking out the details on a vehicle you might be interested in. Even shows you how many owners,chassis,engine numbers etc. Might save you from buying a stolen vehicle!
READ THIS
More than ever before consumers must Pry…Before you Buy any used car. Buying Flood damaged imports, accident damaged imports and avoiding the illegal traders who import them is only part of the battle. What’s worse is now (as at 15 December 2003) the Government has deregulated the motor vehicle sales industry which has seen the introduction of Registered Motor Vehicle Traders (as they are now known) for as little as $583.00 dollars. These new traders don’t have to have premises or experience, don’t have to disclose ownership history on vehicles they sell, don’t have to tell you a car is an ex rental or lease car and amazingly they can now sell you a car that has money owing on it… But do not fear! AA LemonCheck®'s Vehicle History Report tells you all this information and more...