Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: What do you think?  (Read 6023 times)

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
What do you think?
« on: July 04, 2007, 09:35:42 am »
You have just landed in NZ, now is your chance to tell us back in SA how your flight went, what your experience was with going through customs and of course your first impressions of New Zealand.

Please create in a new thread so that you can update as you go along.

Also feel free to create yourself a blog HERE to share with friends and family.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 02:43:40 pm by Nolan »

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
Re: What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 09:42:06 am »
Good idea :whistle: O0

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 09:42:06 am »

Offline nazmahomed

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 09:44:07 am »
 :clap: :clap: This is the part we are all waiting for. Until it is time for us to actually go over, we have to live off other people's experiences. So pleeeez do tell us whats its like
"never let the fear of striking out,keep you from playing the game"

Offline Cameleon

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 09:46:02 am »
Yes, please! We would love to know your first empressions and experiences.

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 11:28:35 am »
who? anyone in particular?

Offline nazmahomed

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 11:51:54 am »
lol...everyone...the more info we get the better for us....it gives me something to dream about :blush:
"never let the fear of striking out,keep you from playing the game"

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 12:29:30 pm »
yes anybody that has already arrived in NZ - you are in NZ already  ::)  ;)

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 12:29:30 pm »

Offline Cameleon

• Certified Addict
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 01:51:03 pm »
 ;D That means YOU TOO, Brad!!  O0

Offline Johan01

• Certified Addict
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 04:15:54 pm »
In four days ... in four days ... then I'll do it

Offline antonjl

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 01:33:51 pm »
We had no problems with customs. Bags where not even sniffed.Did not ask for bank/credit statements.  Saw one person taken for interrogation (a white single guy with dreadlocks). You get off the plane.....stuff gets x rayed,then customs Q. If they are satisfied....passport gets stamped for 3 months. Collect luggage. Proceed out after presenting passport etc at exit........then to taxi/bus. Auckland 20km s or so away.

Offline Johan01

• Certified Addict
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 04:08:29 pm »
yeah customs were a breaze ... actually an enjoyable part of the trip  :heeha: I have such lovely kids knowing when to be good and when to be bad and tired ... onl at customs with a young customs official ... well actuall it wouldn't have mattered I had nothing to hide ..

Offline Kiwi-K

• Whats a chance if you don't take it?
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 11:23:37 am »
 :whistle: oi where are ya all hiding these stories we all itching to read?  >:(
If there is a noise in the woods and nobody hears it...is it still a noise? :)

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 11:23:37 am »

Offline ANTONK

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 05:33:29 pm »
Kiwi-K - All the people are so excited to move to NZ they just post all over the show  ;D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 08:06:52 pm by ANTONK »

Offline Kiwi-K

• Whats a chance if you don't take it?
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 06:49:31 pm »
Tisk, Tisk, methinks thou hast surly struck on an topic which hast bereft us of an most dire need my wiley AntonK!  :whistle:
If there is a noise in the woods and nobody hears it...is it still a noise? :)

Offline Awa

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 02:28:49 am »
I have posted all this in another thread but will repeat here for all of yous who haven't seen it.  The 28 hour flight was much much better than expected.  The kids (3 and 9) behaved well and, even though it was loooooooong, it eventually ended and we arrived to a cloudy cold Auckland.  We had no problems with customs.  Two young ladies chatted with us while they stamped our passports.  We had some perscription medicine that we declared but they hardly looked at it and we were sent on our way.  The first impressions of Auckland was that I had never seen such a clean city!!   The second impression was that I had never seen so many Asians  ;D.  At one stage I told my OH that you would swear we were in China LOL.  We arrived at our families place just to be met by dozens of ex-saffers waiting for us with a lovely braai!  It was great.  The only thing is they leave their shoes outside so everyone were standing around the braai (on a covered deck) with their shoes of in the freezing cold.  It was too much for me and I ended up getting my slippers and walking around in those.   Over the next couple of days I proceeded to carry my slippers in my bag so that everytime we went to someones house I left my shoes at the door as is the custom and then put my slippers on!!  I remember a wonderful sense of freedom while walking down the road to the beach.   I did not look over my shoulder or worry if I'm going to get mugged or my handbag will be snatched or anything like that.   We were also absolutely amazed at the amount of parks and playgrounds for the kids and the quality of the stuff.   Someone out there has taken it upon themselves to think up the most enjoyable interesting playgrounds for kids.   Things I had never seen in SA - just go to Hamilton Lake to enjoy some of these original play stuff for kids.  The other thing that I love is the child friendlyness of the country.   We went to one shopping centre that had a little toilet for the kids and a little hand dryer down at their height - awesome.  The banks have little play areas that keep the kids busy while you stand in the que.  Oh yes another thing about the banks - the first one we went into just sort of opened up out of the shopping centre - no doors - and no glass in front of the counters - oh the pleasure to acutally hear what the teller say to you instead of trying to listen through  a ton of bullet proof glass!  I completely fell in love with NZ.   The cows, the sheep (no I am not weird, have just been locked up behind bars in SA for too long LOL), the friendly people, the walk ways, the beaches (that have no waves!), the playgrounds, the reasonably priced cars, the trust people still seem to have.   The only thing I really struggled to get used to was (and still is) the food!  I have not found a burger that I like yet!  Nothing comes close to Steers or Wimpy!  The fruit and vegges are great but a bit pricy.  The cakes are too expensive and I miss the Tuisnywerheid that sells delicious cakes for R30.  Me thinks I will have to start baking again! 
Arrive in NZ in August 2008
WP received October 2008
EOI submitted April 2010
ITA received April 2010
PR Application Submitted 07 July 2010
PR Approved 18 February 2011