Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: What do you think?  (Read 6024 times)

Offline magusta

Re: What do you think?
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008, 02:48:38 am »
Hi Jackie and welcome, let me know when you start baking...I miss a good melktert!
Try burgerfuel - in my opinion the best burger around.

If you're in Hamilton, there's a good veggie shop opposite Chartwell mall..pretty much next to the mad butcher where we buy our meats/veggies...pak 'n shove for the rest.

Offline ANTONK

• Resident
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 05:52:54 pm »
Jackie, thank you for sharing your vision on NZ  O0 and  :gl:

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 05:52:54 pm »

Offline Awa

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2008, 04:49:20 am »
There's a Chartwell mall!!  Have only so far discovered The Base and the little one at Rototuna.  Will look out for that one and the vegge shop.  Hey don't you guys just love the 123 Dollar shops!  Aint they just great  :clap:
Arrive in NZ in August 2008
WP received October 2008
EOI submitted April 2010
ITA received April 2010
PR Application Submitted 07 July 2010
PR Approved 18 February 2011

Offline magusta

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2008, 08:32:37 am »
yep, not a big mall, but it has movies and some shops. there's centre place in town and another one, but the name escapes me....we're moving this w/end (still in rototuna) we should meet up, have a braai and we can share what we've discovered so far? flick me a pm with your email add. and we can meet up?

Offline Awa

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2008, 04:09:40 am »
Will do.  Right after this weekend is over.  We are going to be busy busy busy - exploring!!
Arrive in NZ in August 2008
WP received October 2008
EOI submitted April 2010
ITA received April 2010
PR Application Submitted 07 July 2010
PR Approved 18 February 2011

Offline Shelly

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2009, 03:39:19 pm »
We arrived in NZ in September 08.  The flights went well much to our suprise as we were travelling with 3 children aged 11, 5, 4.  We stopped over in Aus for 2 nights which really made a difference, as it gave us a bit of a rest from travelling.  I was really nervous about immigration in NZ because although we had gone through the immigration process and had approval in principal, we hadn't actually had time to get our visas stamped into our passports and did not have work permits either.  The queue moved quite quickly and the young lady at the immigration counter was great.  Much to our amazement, we were granted residence visas on arrival and our passports were stamped accordingly.  (Perhaps had something to do with the fact that we had Aus visas in our passports).  All our belongings were x rayed and we had a pair of scissors confiscated, but they were really cool about that - not a big deal at all.  As for 1st impressions, we live on Auckland's North Shore and I agree with all that Jackie said previously in terms of clean city, great urban design, aesthetically pleasing, amazing parks etc. etc.

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2009, 12:24:27 am »
Thanks Shelly O0

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2009, 12:24:27 am »

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2010, 06:51:18 am »
We first arrived in 2005 and my first look of NZ was one of the cows and sheep grazing near the ocean as we came to land.  I fell in love with it from that first look.  I had two toddlers, a beagle dog sniffed our bags and I went up to the lady with the dog and asked her what I should do with the Malaysian milk i had in the bottle.  She told me to just go into the ladies and throw it down the loo.  We threw our fruit and biscuits in a designated bin, and everyone was soooo friendly.

An elderly man felt sorry for us so he loaded us all up onto a buggy and drove us and our luggage through.  This was bliss.  They have elderly people that volunteer for these types of jobs instead of just staying at home bored.  What a good idea !!!  We were amazed (jaws hanging ) to find that we could get a cup of hot coffee for free, and were also given a magazine with a phone card with $2 in it.  So we could phone the place we were staying.  It was such a good experience. 

We loved the playgrounds, found the people incredibly friendly (remind me of Natalians !!) , everything clean .  We learnt to stop at the chinese grocers on the sides of the road to buy good veggies (they don't refrigerate so it stays fresh longer !! ), and to buy from the bins in the supermarkets, instead of buying 1 kg of flour, you bought what you needed. 

I found the spices expensive, but that was in the supermarkets.  The vanilla essence I bought , with the cornflour, did not work out with my melktert recipe, so I vowed to go and buy some essence from the SA shop. 

The sausages are absolutely awful, ditto the bacon.  Took us many tries to find a decent bacon that didn't fall apart like sponge.  Goodkoop is duurkoop !!! But learnt to go to butchers to buy our chicken sausauges and other meat. 

Buying a car was easy, as was registering it into our names at the post office.  We extended our visitors visas online, although I don't think you can do that anymore.  We even opened our bank accounts and had our tax numbers.  All very painless.  The banker thought I was mad because I stood in queue to deposit the cash for our rental, with a crying baby.  "Why didn't you just put it into the box there ?"  He asked me.  "How do I know it will get there and not get stolen ?"  I replied.  He shook his head with a sad smile "Are you South African ? "  He he he.  We make it so obvious. 

We will be arriving again in April 2010, so it will be interesting to see if we still feel the same.  I think we will. 

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2010, 08:35:33 am »
great post. I think you will. :)

Offline expat

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2010, 03:13:45 pm »
I am more than intrigued where were you between 2004 and now? Please tell us more!
I personally think you will find things a bit different - unfortunately the whole world seems to be changing for the worse.

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2010, 05:55:19 pm »
I think you'll still feel the same. You might even feel you've come home, but, must tell you, I think you might find that little things have changed. But, time is running few for you aswell, 3 more months. Cheese and enjoy. SAKB.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2010, 04:29:48 am »
Where have I been for these past years ?  Well, to make a long story short, we have been restoring a yacht in Cape Town planning to sail to New Zealand, then have spent the past 15 months in South East Asia , trying to decided where to live.  Have rekindled our 16 year love affair with New Zealand (went to our first NZ consultation in Durban in 1994 ) and will now come back home (as SaKiwiBoer so rightly said ) . 

I was watching a programme this morning on the SPCA in CApe Town, and was happy to note that I did not feel one pull at a heartstring, not one lump in the throat.  I miss my family, but not the country at all.  I know the *** that goes with all that beauty and it is not worth it !!!  And my family are slowly coming out anyway !!

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2010, 04:29:48 am »

Offline alwyn

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2010, 07:59:30 am »
When deciding to emigrate, always put *** before beauty... 
When you find yourself at the wrong side of the *** then beauty won't save you.

Ok ready...

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2010, 08:41:02 pm »
great post Savayla, I also think that you will be pleasantly surprised to find that the NZ you left is still here as you left it  ;D

Offline robinsonwang

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2010, 08:17:20 am »
thanks guys for sharing these experiences here?