Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Where to settle in NZ?  (Read 3815 times)

Offline janvs

• Arrived !
Re: Where to settle in NZ?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2007, 08:16:32 am »
We want to settle anywhere out of Africa
EOI drawn on 04/06/2008
ITA received 26/06/08
Completed ITA submitted 20/08/08
Received PR 25/11/08
Received passports with PR 21/01/09

[/u

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2007, 10:24:01 am »
we second that Jan

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2007, 10:24:01 am »

Offline Scott

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 04:36:53 pm »
Judging by the posting dates, I feel like I am playing catchup... anyway, My plan is to arrive in Christchurch, get a feel, look for work, and then, after about a week, go checkout AUckland.. My type of work means that I will have to be in a city type place..
Rock on to NZ

Offline Johan01

• Certified Addict
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 06:49:50 pm »
scott you must remeber with an artistic sort of skill you could be utilised in a variety of fields, as long as you have the basics on the technical side ...

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2007, 10:24:43 pm »
Hi Scott, I'm only now catching up on posts this morning, so not sure how new you are, but Welcome to the site :clap:
I'm even more chuffed that you are planning to settle in Christchurch :clap: :clap:
It's very arty here (I'm surprized Nolan hasn't mentioned wanting to settle here :whistle:)

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2007, 10:45:31 pm »
Mel would kill me if I even mention Chch - she wouldn't even consider Canada because of the snow and that would hold for any other place that gets snow  ???

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2007, 11:07:20 pm »
......but it's fun ;) She would get used to it.  My family thought I was nuts when we moved to the UK because I was always known for thriving in the hot weather when everybody else was melting and I'm still the same. I've just figured out how to stay warm and enjoy the cold. I still get miserable if I get too cold and can't warm up ;)
SI is cold, but at least the winters are shorter then the summers, which I believe can get very hot. It was awsome when we came down for the interview O0

I think this is more a fact then my opinion, but Chch is much more beautiful then Auckland :whistle: O0 :clap:

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2007, 11:07:20 pm »

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2007, 12:41:33 am »
We want to settle anywhere out of Africa

Iraq? :heeha: ;D
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2007, 12:43:58 am »
Hi Colleen .. min dae

Johan, yes.... man, I have butterflies!!  Our passports arrived at our friends' house this afternoon.  We will get them tomorrow (they live in the next city about 20 miles away.) 
I still have to find a buyer for the van.  And try to repack all our bags to fit everything in...
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2007, 12:52:50 am »
Glad you finally have your passports O0 :clap:
Holding thumbs the van sells as quick as your house did O0 :gl:

worsie

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2007, 04:53:14 am »
Well Wellington has really turned out great, at first I did not like it but I am starting to like it more and more every day. Its very hilly here and it gets some serious getting use to.

I have been out looking at areas, Whitby it is if you are looking for a saffa area. Its about 30km from town. The nice thing about wellington is the public transport, you just drive your car for about 1-2km to the closest train station, leave it there and hop on the train! All the cars just stand there, and there are no car guards looking after them (business opportunity  anyone?  :smart:)

Honesty, when I first arrived I could not deal with the houses. Dam some of them are terrible. Wellington is very wet and most of the houses have carpets right up to the front door.  :uglystupid2: Did my rounds for about 2 days looking all over, started getting very distressed seeing all of these terrible wooden, carpeted, cream colored wall houses. That is until I arrived at Whitby, new houses and ultra modern and big. The prices and rent is not bad either because its so far from town. (not far at all if you are use to CT and JHB)

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2007, 05:11:39 am »
Worsie, I'm glad you are settling in O0
It does that time to get used to all the differences, but it's good to have "different" choices for a change, don't you think ;)
You'll find the perfect home soon O0

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2007, 05:11:39 am »

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2007, 05:15:32 am »
glad you like good ol' Welly.

It is very hilly, but has a much better CBD than Auckland. So much happening downtown Welly, really arty, happening, theatre, people milling about Courtney Place. At night Auckland CBD is dead.

Hope you are very happy in our capital city! Do a tour of parliament, and go up Mt Victoria on a clear day - awesome views over the whole area. It is a quite enchanting place and it certainly does grow on one.

worsie

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2007, 05:17:57 am »
Yea, well we just going to rent for the first year.

The housing market here is hectic, if you see something you must decide straight away, otherwise its gone.

Another thing that I have noticed is that nobody wants pets, some owners will say yes to a cat but the minute you say dog, its no deal. This place is really not animal friendly. Having a dog or a cat, immediately cuts your options by about as much as 90%.

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2007, 05:21:38 am »
There are a lot of private rentels on Trademe. They are usually more willing to allow dogs O0