Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Where to settle in NZ?  (Read 3363 times)

worsie

Re: Where to settle in NZ?
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2007, 05:26:38 am »
glad you like good ol' Welly.

It is very hilly, but has a much better CBD than Auckland. So much happening downtown Welly, really arty, happening, theatre, people milling about Courtney Place. At night Auckland CBD is dead.

Hope you are very happy in our capital city! Do a tour of parliament, and go up Mt Victoria on a clear day - awesome views over the whole area. It is a quite enchanting place and it certainly does grow on one.

I am actually leaving all of that stuff until my family gets here. But would like to take a drive up Mt Victoria.

The main street in Wellington is cool, lots of people, nice coffee shops etc. Its really compact. Still trying to recover from my jet lag and I have been waking up at about 3:00am every morning. This morning at 7:00am i took a walk down town and bought a cup of star bucks. There I was walking in the main street so early, nobody bugging me and not a chance that anybody would jump out in front of me and take my cuppa. It does take some getting use to, having no crime is really weird. Try this in JHB CBD any time of the day  :D :D :D

Have you guys seen the weird buses here in wellington? they run on electricity and are hooked onto power lines above and they are very quiet.

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2007, 08:11:22 am »
sounds like you are enjoying yourself Worsie  :clap:

How about a post of your experiences in the Kia Ora section?  ;)

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2007, 08:11:22 am »

Offline natasjab

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2007, 10:47:16 am »
Hi Everyone

I haven't posted anything in a loooonnnggg time, but have kept up to speed with all the "news".  We are still hard at work trying to sell the house and getting ourselves to NZ by December. 

We've been studying the "Where to stay in NZ" book almost on a daily basis and will propably settle where or close to where we find a job.  I am used to travelling on a daily basis, but hubby not.  We actually like the southern parts of the North Island (hope it makes sense) and looked at Pukekohe?  My cousin settled there and emailed me the most beautiful photos :smitten:!  We love wooden floors, high sealings (old farm style houses) and hope we'll be able to find something there - if not, we are still far away from this danger zone!   :clap:

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2007, 12:45:33 pm »
hey Natasja, good to hear your goodies are still progressing, don't be so scarce  :knuppel2:

worsie

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2007, 11:43:07 pm »
sounds like you are enjoying yourself Worsie  :clap:

How about a post of your experiences in the Kia Ora section?  ;)

Yea, will do