Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Newly arrived in Christchurch!  (Read 7189 times)

Offline TheRindels

Newly arrived in Christchurch!
« on: July 14, 2007, 02:07:23 am »
Hi all
We are newly settled in Christchurch from Pretoria, SA. And by new I mean two weeks! We had visited NZ last year in August for three weeks to visit friends with absolutely NO intention of ever immigrating. We travelled North Island extensively and had heard how stunning Christchurch was. Once we returned (to OR Tambo, having left from JIA - thought we had boarded the wrong plane!) we starting the comparisons and within a week decided that we wanted to have a better life for our two girls (ages 13 and 10) - so we started selling up and less than a year later are here....

We arrived in Auckland on the 11 June and after visiting our friends again up north, bought a car (Toyota Prado - which I would never ave considered in SA as it would have been stolen within minutes) made our way South. We stopped over in Taupo and then Wellington where we had some friends [also newly immigrated]. After that we headed to South Island. The minute we landed in Picton from the ferry we knew that we wanted to settle in South Island.

We stayed in at Motels in Christchurch for a week before we rented a house, connected gas, satellite (Sky), phone and broadband. I am still looking for a job, but being in IT that should be sorted before too long. We found that the typical male SA mentality prevailed in that all SA new arrivals are focused on a job and typically settle wherever they get the first job. We wanted to stay in Christchurch hence the 'different / more risky' way of doing things.

Anyway we are loving it. Although the weather has been a bit rainy we have had some awesome sunny days [even though its stil cold - but you an dress up for that], and spend last Sunday in Hanmer, which is a hot spring area [a bit like Warmbaths without the people], nestled in the snow!

The girls are starting school next week and it took us some time to figure out the 'zoning' thing. Your address determine where you go to school. Many people make their first move for the school, the second for the house.

We found the NZ people to be extremely friendly, and its great to be able to lose that 'wariness' that is normal for us SA when meeting new people.

We are hoping to socialize a bit more as time goes by, so if there are any SA Christchurch 'settlers' out there drop us a post - as we miss the get togethers we are used to.

Cheers (for now)
 Greg, Bev and kids
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 03:34:35 am by TheRindels »

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
Re: Newly arrived in Christchurch!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 04:10:36 am »
Welcome Greg and Bev!
So glad you found us!!   We do have one very happy lady in Christchurch, and she'll be all the happier to see you there!  That is Happy Expat (Linda). 
Please do start a thread in Kia Ora and tell us of your experiences and culture shocks as you have time.  Also feel free to share any tips that you encountered during your whole planning of going to NZ. 

lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 04:10:36 am »

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 06:02:19 am »
Hi and welcome !  :clap:

Thanks for the great post, please keep us updated and let us know how things go with the job search.  O0

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 07:35:43 am »
Howzit guys, welcome to the site. Nice to have someone else from Chch on the site, now Linda (Happy Expat) won't feel so 'alone' on the SI  ;)

Thanks for sharing the experiences with us, it helps a lot and we look forward to hearing more of your adventures as you go along.

:gl: with finding a job, let's hope you get one quickly so that your life can get back to normal again.

Badprop

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 07:44:53 am »
Welcome guys, good to see more people in CC.  Happy is going to be soooo happy now.  Please tell us more about your experiences.     :clap:

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 02:30:31 pm »
I'm having areally weird day? I have just got back from visiting our other SAn friends here in Chch (The ones who's daughters foot got bitten off by a dog). It's 1:30am and I thought I would quickly check what you guys have been up too, only to see "The Rindels" have just registered and are here in Chch. After telling hubby and putting 2 and 2 together we figured out that hubby is going to be fixing thier Prado soon :D What a small world O0

Can't wait to meet you guys and welcome to the site :clap: :clap: O0

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 05:49:41 pm »
WElcome :gl: O0, your posting has just convinced me that this the place that I want to stay, I have been advised to, and have heard and read a lot... you story is wonderful, and I wish you the very best of luck.. I recently joined the group and already feel part..
Hope to see you next year.
Rock on to NZ

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 05:49:41 pm »

Offline Cameleon

• Certified Addict
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 05:56:32 pm »
Hi Greg and Bev!

Welcome to the site!!  :clap: :clap: I hope to hear lots more of you guys!  :gl: with the job hunting, and I believe the girls will do just fine in school.  :gl: to them too!

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 07:43:34 pm »
Hi Bev, Greg and girls - welcome and congratulations on your move, we look forward to hearing more from you.

Offline Johan01

• Certified Addict
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 10:57:21 pm »
Welcome to the site and of course NZ ..

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 09:04:44 am »
Oh yes, TheRindels, congrats on being the 400th forum member !  :clap: O0

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 06:32:30 pm »
 :clap:

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 06:32:30 pm »

Offline Johan01

• Certified Addict
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2007, 10:03:02 pm »
I was gonna say something but blame it sliped me mind ..  oh yea coming in through the backdoor the Rindels we not knowing 'bout them from scratch, but mate that doesn't matter ou here, ain't ya

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 02:09:33 am »
Johan, you sound like you had too much  :drunk: ;D
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline nazmahomed

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 10:43:39 am »
Hi to all teh Rindels and welcome to the site. I am sure that you guys are going to LOOOOOVE living in Chch and hope you meet you all at our annual HESA day...
"never let the fear of striking out,keep you from playing the game"