Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Newly arrived in Christchurch!  (Read 7188 times)

Badprop

Re: Newly arrived in Christchurch!
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2007, 04:39:40 pm »
That is going to be a yes or a  :twoguns: :guns: with some  :'( thrown in.  I would love to sit on the sideline and watch this  :knuppel2: if he says no.  My money is on Linda. >:D

Offline Johan01

• Certified Addict
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2007, 11:04:37 am »
Christchurch is beautiful, surely one of the best places in NZ and the weather is not that bad. Worked on some stuff till three in the morning and were able to walk outside with my t-shirt on, and that for someone that were riased in the bosveld.

But all the places in NZ has there own beauty ... but he last place I will go to stay is Auckland.
So this is how the gang in Christchurch grows .. through people who discover the best side of NZ .....

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2007, 11:04:37 am »

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2007, 11:09:43 am »
OK, I have to ask, what does everyone have against Auckland ?  :confused:

worsie

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2007, 11:33:03 am »
I think its a big city thing, if you younger you will love Auckland, when u older and u have kids people want to move away from the big city. Property is very expensive in Auckland I hear, I have spoken to a number of wellingtonians and mentioned to them that I want to go see Auckland, they mostly look at me puzzled and ask what I want to go see there. Apparently Auckland does not have a very good public transport system? And suffers from big traffic problems?

I think all the cities have there pro's and cons, everybody is different and everybody will enjoy a different place. Just like in SA, some people hate Cape Town, others love JHB  :thumbdown: Some people love Poffader  :heeha:

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2007, 11:42:13 am »
I think its a big city thing, if you younger you will love Auckland, when u older and u have kids people want to move away from the big city.

Yeah I think you hit the nail on the head. I loved London to bits, was very cosmopolitan, and I hear Auckland is as well, so I think I'll love it.

I've spoken to a few people, and the public transport is apparently quite good ? I've looked at their public transport websites, and everywhere seems to be covered by bus, and most areas have trains as well. Maybe those who are in Auckland can let us know about the public transport ?

Let the old folks move out to the country then !   ;):2funny:

worsie

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2007, 11:52:55 am »
Another thing some of the kiwis have told me is that you can be forgiven for thinking you are in asia when you are downtown in auckland. I have also heard that the city is dead at night and does not have that same nightly atmosphere as wellington. Thats probably because of the size of the city. Wellington is a very compact city, the city centre is small and you can walk from the one side to the other in about 10 minutes. I must add, I have not been to auckland yet and this is only what i have heard.

I somehow don't think the public transport is really bad as such, its just not up to the same standards as other first world countries. And maybe even a bit below the rest of NZ. Its excellent if you are comparing it to SA.

And then Auckland seems to have nice beaches, Wellington does not have very nice beaches, they are mostly dark sand, lots of rocks and stones. Wellington has a few nice beaches where they have had to bring beach sand from elsewhere. Auckland has less wind than Wellington but more rain.

No city is better than another, they all have there pro's and cons.

Different strokes for different folks
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 11:58:48 am by worsie »

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2007, 12:09:12 pm »
Different strokes for different folks

Absolutely.  O0

I'd like to come and check out Wellington though, depends how the job search pans out I guess.

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2007, 12:09:12 pm »

worsie

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2007, 12:14:51 pm »
In Auckland when it rains it rains on your head.

In Wellington when it rains it rains in your face! Never have I ever seen horizontal rain before like here in wellington.

But its good, I am enjoying it, as i read somewhere else, Utopia does not exist. Every city will have its downsides.

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2007, 12:17:52 pm »
In Wellington when it rains it rains in your face! Never have I ever seen horizontal rain before like here in wellington.

Reminds me of when I was in the UK. The rain was literally being blown parallel to the ground, so umbrella's were useless, mostly because they would be destroyed by the wind, and secondly because the rain would soak your entire body coming in from the side !

How is the wind in Wellington though ? That's the only thing putting me off there.

Offline haydent

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2007, 12:33:09 pm »
When we first went exploring the auckland CBD, we definitely thought that we were in China but you get used to it. We have travelled by bus around auckland and it is not too bad. Haven't been on the train yet though.
One thing about Auckland is the traffic. The roads are always busy no matter what time of the day it is. The CBD is has got a vibrant night life. Every day of the week you see people in the coffee shops at 11 pm and later.
We are definitely happy in Auckland. We live on the north shore in a VERY quiet suburb. We are close to the beach, and about 20 minutes drive to the CBD.
The only thing that confuses us here is the way the weather changes! It can be a perfect blue sky and then 10 minutes later it is raining! Not good on laundy days!  ::)

Offline nazmahomed

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2007, 01:12:41 pm »
living in Auckland does not necessary mean that we have to be exposed to the hussle and bustle of the city all the time. The outlying areas seem quiet and serene so in essence, there is no reason why people cant enjoy the best of both worlds.
"never let the fear of striking out,keep you from playing the game"

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2007, 03:38:53 pm »
Haydent, where on the North Shore are you guys?

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2007, 03:38:53 pm »

Offline haydent

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2007, 11:06:53 pm »
We are in Glenfield. It is in the west of the north shore. Really nice area. There are plenty of malls and shopping centres in the area  :)

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2007, 11:40:55 pm »
so we may even be neighbours one of these days as that is one of the areas that we are looking at  O0

Offline haydent

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2007, 12:21:28 am »
Well, this is definitely one of the best areas. Most Aucklanders say that the north shore has the best (quieter) suburbs and the best schools  O0