Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: To those wanting to bring pets  (Read 2926 times)

Offline Etresia

Re: To those wanting to bring pets
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 12:54:03 pm »
Thanks for the advice Doreen.  Will keep that in mind once we are there.

Hopefully we will not have to rent for to long as we would like to get a lifestyle plot.  My 5 year old and I are looking forward to having sheep, a cow, ducks etc. Must just sell our house here in SA first!! :stress:

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 06:20:59 am »
Etresia my Dane probably would not have made the size restriction as he is very big.

A tip I read on looking for rentals with pets is to go and look at the house then once the agent or owner has met you in person mention that you have a dog. Generally if you go and make a good impression it is harder to say no to your face.

We went with honesty and told the agents upfront we had dogs coming out of quarantine in a few months, they said we would have to pay an extra weeks bond when they came but no one ever mentioned it again. 

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 06:20:59 am »

Offline Etresia

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 08:23:09 am »
Thanks MJ, will keep that in mind. O0

Offline Thaniasa

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 08:41:42 am »
Jannee - I send you a pm.

Offline Thaniasa

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 09:22:45 am »
Sandy (my miniature pinscher) stays with QPS (in Auckland) and although she was quite afraid to go to the VETS in SA, she looks quite happy at QPS.  We had to put down our big Doberman a few months ago and a year before that we had to put down our chihauhau (both due to their age)....and it was very, very HARD.  I just couldn't gave my "baby" away too - I know this might sound a bit selfish.  We try to visit her at least every second or third day and she is very happy to see us.  We are allowed to bring her blankets, toys and treats (doggy biscuits).  Hopefully we won't struggle too much to rent a house where she would be allowed to stay.  Before we left SA, we had to rent a house for 3 months - most of the agents/owners did not allow dogs or cats.  We eventually found a property and met the owners afterwards and they did not mind my baby at all - hope we will be as fortunate here.   I just have to find her a "sister" (preferable another miniature pinscher), but will do that only after she is released from Quarantine.

Lea

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2009, 09:30:57 am »
Sandy (my miniature pinscher) stays with QPS (in Auckland) and although she was quite afraid to go to the VETS in SA, she looks quite happy at QPS.  We had to put down our big Doberman a few months ago and a year before that we had to put down our chihauhau (both due to their age)....and it was very, very HARD.  I just couldn't gave my "baby" away too - I know this might sound a bit selfish.  We try to visit her at least every second or third day and she is very happy to see us.  We are allowed to bring her blankets, toys and treats (doggy biscuits).  Hopefully we won't struggle too much to rent a house where she would be allowed to stay.  Before we left SA, we had to rent a house for 3 months - most of the agents/owners did not allow dogs or cats.  We eventually found a property and met the owners afterwards and they did not mind my baby at all - hope we will be as fortunate here.   I just have to find her a "sister" (preferable another miniature pinscher), but will do that only after she is released from Quarantine.

I love miniature pinchers too, and unfortunately from what I've seen not many around, so you might have to contact a breeder.  I like the papilon ones too - and I've seen more of those around.

Offline Shirls

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 09:53:54 am »
My moms little SPCA special has just come out of her stay at QPS in Auckland.  She was so happy to be out and to see us all it brought tears to my eyes!
Note to self.... they pack on the kg's ... she can barely get through the cat flap now!
Mom was really lucky that my sister had been in her rental for years and knows the owner well, otherwise she would not have been able to take her.

We had our fur-baby put down when we left SA 14 months ago... I miss that cat every day even now... but there was just no way we could afford to take him. And been 13 he was getting older.

Our rental has a no dogs policy, so we have adopted 2 hooligan cats instead!

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 09:53:54 am »

Offline Thaniasa

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 08:03:49 pm »
Lea, I noticed a breeder on the internet - definitely need to get a job before I can buy a dobi from the breeder - they are quite expensive.  I'll have a look around though - there are plenty of time left before Sandy get's out .... just wish the time would fly.....I really miss "the attitude" being around me.  This little one think she is a big Doberman - Zeus (our big Doberman) used to be afraid of her.

Offline tmprince

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland New Zealand
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2009, 05:51:34 am »
She obviously takes after her owner -mom  :2funny:
Lovies
Marcia
EOI submitted   13-01-09
EOI selected     28-01-09
ITA recieved     09-02-09
ITA submitted   24-06-09
ITA lodged       26-06-09
CO assigned     28-09-09
WTR approved  14-05-2010
Arrived 01-07-2010
PR March 2011
5 YEARS TODAY 01-07-2015

Offline Thaniasa

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2009, 08:23:56 pm »
She obviously takes after her owner -mom 
Hubby says the same thing :2funny: :clap:   I am going to start a new thread on our experiences so far.  How's your "getting Marcia to NZ" fund going so far?

Lea

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2009, 12:54:11 am »
Lea, I noticed a breeder on the internet - definitely need to get a job before I can buy a dobi from the breeder - they are quite expensive.  I'll have a look around though - there are plenty of time left before Sandy get's out .... just wish the time would fly.....I really miss "the attitude" being around me.  This little one think she is a big Doberman - Zeus (our big Doberman) used to be afraid of her.

Yes, they are expensive, but I've seen other pets at reputable pet shops being very expensive too, so I think it is just one of those things unfortunately.

My little ones had attitudes too - I remember once we went to the vet and I held the male one in my arms, busy paying and suddenly he growled and when I looked what he was growling at I saw this bull terrier quietly looking at him and I thought if you jump now it will be just like the Flake advert "one bite and all resistance crumbles"  Silly dog.  They used to bark at those hadeda birds and I often wondered who would get the biggest fright if they did decide to go for the bird  ;D

Offline Doreen

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2009, 06:55:56 am »
Etresia, we also rent 3 months and then bought a house. Wish I could afford a plot with cows and everything... our yard is fenced at the back but not sooo big. I take at least 3 times a week my dogs to the beech. Hope you get that plot!! With so much dogs it would be the best.

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2009, 06:55:56 am »

Offline Etresia

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2009, 01:58:44 pm »
Thanks Doreen, i agree.  My dogs love to run.  I also take them to the beach regularly here, am living in Melkbosstrand.

We will be living in a small town in the country, so property over there is a bit cheaper than in the bigger cities.

Will let you know how it all works out! :)

Offline Doreen

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2009, 03:49:33 am »
Lea, didn't see your post!! I'm glad that you are settled and your dogs happy!! You too Jannee. Does'nt matter witch way...it is difficult.
You are right, it can be challenging to find a rental home where pets are allowed. The whole immigration thing is challenging...
You don't need to lie to agents, its all a mind set. What is a big dog to them is a medium dog to you. I don't like agents and my experience of them is that they are often not so honest themself or friendly.  I moved in my own house before it was time for the agents to come around in the rent house. But If it was otherwise, I would defenitely take my dogs away to the beech when they come around. Will say it in Afrikaans : Ek glo voorkoming is beter. It is better to rent from the owner direct as from the agents. But I know its not possible always. I was also honest about my dogs, and the owner was there everyday fixing the house. He didn't like dogs but was satisfied with the extra bond fee....
Hope you all find places of your own and lots of doggies etc around you!! :gl: