Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Taking 3 dogs to NZ  (Read 1795 times)

Offline RandburgSaffa

Taking 3 dogs to NZ
« on: February 06, 2015, 11:03:25 am »
Hi everyone.

I am new to the forum. Thank you for all the advice and clarity on various issues.

My biggest concern about going over, is taking my 3 dogs. I have 2 daschunds and a german shepard. I am not concerned about the cost, as I will never leave without my dogs.

I am more concerned about finding rental properties which will allow my 3 pets, and the laws regarding owning pets in New Zealand.

Any advice will be appreciated by folks who have taken their four legged children across.

Thanks!

Offline mbl77

Re: Taking 3 dogs to NZ
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 05:11:53 pm »
I'm not sure about the laws, but with three dogs you will struggle to find a rental at all. We have one (small) dog, and that cut our available rental choices down by about half. Finding a decent rental is a difficult process anyway, I would hate to think how hard it would have been if we'd had three.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 05:11:53 pm »

Offline Zedd

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 10:55:11 pm »
You may find a rental in the rural areas. I think that there are urban bylaws about having more that two dogs on a property. Try find groups on Facebook that can assist. Phone the rental agencies up personally. There are also groups concerned with homing dogs - they could possibly assist. Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 09:53:55 am by Zedd »
18 March 2013 - EOI submitted
3 April 2013 - EOI selected
10 May 2013 - ITA issued
23 July 2013 - ITA submitted
18 Sep 2014 - Resident visas approved
28 Feb 2015 - The chicken has landed!

Offline TheJo

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 12:36:57 am »
It depends where you live. In Auckland most rentals do not allow pets, and those that are negotiable will normally only consider cats. The other thing to keep in mind is that a lot of homes in Auckland are not fully fenced so that may be an additional problem.

You can check the council bylaws for the area you are intending to live but you might need a permit for some of your pets.
11 Feb 15: Residence visa approved

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 12:58:55 am »
Fencing, forgot about that one. Most don't have any fence and fencing is darned expensive here.

Offline RandburgSaffa

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 12:58:25 pm »
Thank you for all the great advice. I will look at a few rural areas.

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 11:12:27 pm »
Also remember that with rural areas here come sheep, goats, cows and chickens. If your dogs attack them, they will get put down. Friends of ours who live rurally and whose dog arrives in March are spending $450 to have a company come in and train their dog not to attack farm animals, not to bark at them and to not go gallivanting as they cannot fence off their area. Thnk it is worth it

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 11:12:27 pm »