Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Immigration to NZ  (Read 3201 times)

Offline farmyardza

Immigration to NZ
« on: February 18, 2008, 01:32:36 pm »
Hi my name is Bev, my husband desperately wants to immigrate to NZ.  I have reservations, worrying about my girls adapting, leaving family behind and leaving our pets!  I have been reading the forum and people seem to be happy when they arrive in NZ.  We have friends in Taupo and Hawkes Bay but I think it is the unknown and not having a support structure like we have here.  Some of our family are immigrating both to Aus and NZ but it is still scary.  Think I am a bit neurotic!  I do realise that we need to do this for our girls because their future here does not look good.  The anxiety is eating me up to the point that I am an insomniac!

Any advice would be welcomed.

Offline kim12345

Re: Immigration to NZ
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 01:42:12 pm »
hey bev, first of all - welcome
it is a scary step to make, i'm still in sa, but been thru the same though process as u.  just thinking about where i'm going to place my dog is enough to bring me to tears.  like u said though, think of u're girls and the future and quality of life u'll be giving them.  it will be difficult, but it'll get easier.  u already have friends there, and from what i hear those kiwis r quite a friendly bunch... u'll settle in in no time.
 :gl: to u guys
and if u have any question, just ask!

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 01:42:12 pm »

Offline Carla P

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 01:58:32 pm »
Bev, welcome to the family. You will learn so much here.

Carla ;)

Offline farmyardza

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 02:08:22 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome kim12345 and Carla P.  It is nice to know I am not alone with these emotions.

Offline ANTONK

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 04:52:27 pm »
Hi Bev welcome to the family  :clap: and YES you are right there is NO future for your daughters in SA and all the other white people as well.

Offline mikencarmen

• Eastern Cape, South Africa
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 06:28:24 pm »
Hi Bev, welcome to the "family".  :clap: Just remember that we are here for u thru this very scary, emotional and stressful process.... Oh and read, read and read as much as u can on the Forum, and ask as many questions u like, I am sure you will find that somebody can answer... :gl: with the process and keep us all updated.

M & C

Offline Carla P

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 06:52:33 pm »
Bev, please know that you can always head to the "ladies lounge" when you really need a goor cry session, shoulder, rant and rave session, that is just with ladies... if you knowwhat i mean. The ladies will be there for you, as soon as they log on.

Carla ;)

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 06:52:33 pm »

Offline Cameleon

• Certified Addict
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 07:27:07 pm »
Hi Bev! Welcome to the family!  :clap: You'll see, as soon as you warm up to the idea of emigrating, you'll start getting excited about the move - and start looking forward to a whole new world!  :gl: with your decision, and hopefully we'll see you soon - in NZ!

Offline minette

• Life is life - lala la lalaa
    • Herbalicious - Minette's Herbs & Herbals
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 09:20:03 pm »
Hi Bev, welcome and  :gl:

I've seen on this post that the whole process is equated to a rollercoster and I've come to appreciate the analogy first hand - never mind having up days and down days, I actually have up minutes and down minutes in rapid succession to each other!

It is an incredibly scary process to uproot  yourself from what you know and have held dear for so long, but it is also very exciting once you start looking forward to it all. You're very lucky that you have friends and family thinking of moving over to NZ or OZ already, so you'll have a bit of "old home" with you over there. And remember that your little family unit IS actually your life - the rest of the stuff is just filling and as long as you and your closest loves are happy and safe, nothing should really matter very much more.

Of course, you'll make a ton of friends right here on this forum and won't need to go through it all alone.

Again,  :gl:

Residency approved: 05/07/13
Work Visa approved: 06/05/13
ITA Received: 6 May 2013
EOI Selected: 03/05/13
EOI Submitted: 01/05/13
Applied for Work Visa: 26/04/13
Medicals: 24/04/13
Job offer: 12/04/13
Landed in Auckland: 05/02/13
House sold: 01/11/11
Decision to move to NZ: 08/12/08

Offline Alta van zyl

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 09:33:58 pm »
welcome bev and family  :clap:

Offline dance

• Certified Addict
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 05:36:42 am »
Welcome Bev. You have all the support you need right here. Even when family do not agree with your decision we will be here to lift you up. I heard a good saying " Friends are there to give you wingswhen you forget how to fly" Well these friends will give you great big wings to fly all the way to New Zelaand and keep you flying once you are there. :gl:
When life throws you a lemon - make lemonade!

Offline hadenough

• Certified Addict
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 07:21:12 am »
Welcome Bev and  :gl:

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 07:21:12 am »

Offline TheRindels

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 08:35:02 am »
Hi Bev.

I am also Bev and when I read your comment it felt like I had written it.  My family and I also left SA eight months ago and it wasn't easy.  I also have two girls aged fourteen and eleven. With regards to the animals we made the decision to rather find good homes for them instead of bringing them over.  However, I still keep in contact with their new owners. 

I have been here eight months now and I still sometimes have my bad days.  Life here is so wonderful that we forget about all the reasons why we left SA.  It is a very scary move to make and to be honest with you I wouldn't want to do it twice in my life.  I must say from a safety point of view you do feel a lot safer. At least we sleep peacefully at night and we don't live in Fort Knox. 

Always remember that you can always go back to SA on holiday to visit family and friends.  I hold that thought which helps me cope. 

Bev

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 08:35:02 am »
Hi Bev and welcome - it's well worth all the stress and worries :clap:

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 08:44:41 am »
Hi Bev. Only advice is: dont look back, dont fret for SA, embrace NZ. You will not regret it. Your girls will be safe and have bright future. They do not have that in SA and never will. Get out ASAP.