Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Importing your pets  (Read 24403 times)

Offline ks11

Re: Importing your pets
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2007, 08:32:14 am »
I think you can do it yourself. I dont see why not, an agent just makes it easier as blood tests need to be done on certain days and the state vet also has to sign documents! call the airlines that fly direct about what procedure you need to follow to transport your pet. You need approved pet carriers etc and then you need to do all the liasing with the quarantine station etc. 

Offline Magnum

« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2007, 01:31:08 pm »
I'm asking, because our vet said that he could do it himself. He knows how and he's friends with my mother and father, therefore we are considering using him to help us with it. 

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2007, 01:31:08 pm »

Offline ks11

« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2007, 11:38:58 pm »
[email protected]  Email MAf on this email and they will be able to give you all the information you need or give you the correct link on their website.
They are quite helpful. Our Vet did all the tests except for the ones needed in the last month as We were here and hubby was also here at the time so nobody could take marmelade to the vet on the certain days.  We checked him into Keringa where he was boarding for the last month and they did everything that needed to be done.  Booked tickets etc.  Just remember you need to have a letter from your quarantine facility this side before you apply for you permit. - the permit can also be faxed or emailed to MAF.

Offline Janine

« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2007, 02:41:31 pm »
Hi

I don't know if this website has been mentioned yet...  www.keringa.co.za
It is for those wishing to send their pets over. They are an internationally licensed emigration station. Their website is very informative.  O0
Hope it helps.

Badprop

« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2007, 03:03:54 pm »
Magnum this has been discussed on the forum in detail before.  Have a search, a long post about what needs to be done and how long in advance, etc.  Also search the web for Pets Haven they have very nice facilities in Auckl for the quarantine period.

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2007, 06:04:47 pm »
Petshaven are fully booked till middle of Feb and Keringa are booked up till Jan!!! :'(

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #96 on: October 19, 2007, 08:12:47 pm »
Dogs are booked into Keringa from next Saturday - this whole little exercise for my two sausages is going to cost aprox R85 000.00 :o  But I love them too much :smitten: :smitten:

« Reply #96 on: October 19, 2007, 08:12:47 pm »

Badprop

« Reply #97 on: October 20, 2007, 07:13:58 am »
A nice gent on that side said to us, 'take out anything that can cause you more stress during this move.  It is stressful enough without adding things that will cause more emotional upsets'. Wise words.  You have done the right thing MJ.  Now you have one less thing to feel sad about, and one more thing to be happy about. O0 

PS don't you want to take a very nice and gently border collie too? :'( 

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #98 on: October 20, 2007, 07:33:41 am »
I would love too.  If you are even just thinking about taking your dog get those bloods done asap then at least you have options.

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #99 on: October 20, 2007, 11:04:38 am »
I realized just how much my hubby also misses our kitty.  You know the men don't always voice their feelings.  But he said he was talking to one of his colleagues the other day and had told him that he felt like flying over to the USA and bringing our kitty over here himself.  It's really hard to know what's best for the cat vs our own desire to just have her with us.  She's nearly 13 years old, and has now had to live with friends for 3 months already.  She's adapted there very well.  So it feels like it would be selfish of us to put her through the upheaval of flying that long flight over, and then be put in quarantine on this end before being allowed to come and live with us again.  How does one know what is best?  :confused:  Joshua has said that he will name his new kitty Misty, too. Makes me just want to  :'( all over again.
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Badprop

« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2007, 12:10:21 pm »
Spot on Colleen.  I can't do it to her either.  She is too sensitive and the vet also didn't recommend it.  He said Borders don't handle the quarantine well and we would do her more harm than good.  So we going the hart break route.

Of all the people and friends I leave behind.... I'm gonna mis my dog the most.  She protected me 3 times from break ins.   :'(

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2007, 03:30:54 pm »
Colleen I thought there was no quarantine form the USA

« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2007, 03:30:54 pm »

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2007, 02:18:18 am »
30 days.  Not as much as SA, but still it's there.
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #103 on: October 21, 2007, 08:59:40 am »
I'm very very sad :'( :'( :'( :'(
My kitty got killed on the road yesterday :'(
We are all so devasted. She travelled around the world and then from one Island to another :'(
We feel like we've lost a child :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

R.I.P Our special "Rusty" :'( :'( :'(

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #104 on: October 21, 2007, 09:22:54 am »
sorry to hear Linda :'(