Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Importing your pets  (Read 24403 times)

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
Re: Importing your pets
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2007, 09:12:38 am »
There are loads of them here.....this is sheep country ;) ;D

HERE

Badprop

« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2007, 09:50:05 am »
They are expensive, good heavens.  Will have to save up then.  Why aren't there any Australian Shepherds,  they have the same nature, also very intelligent and good with kids.  Are there not cattle farmers there?

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2007, 09:50:05 am »

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2007, 10:48:31 am »
I can't remember the name of them now, but when you are here keep an eye out on trademe, often people give dogs away, but you have to be quick ;)

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2007, 09:37:13 pm »
Just say this post on SAAustralia concerning Keringa's prices. The post was dated 2 July 2007 :

I've just received an updated quote from Keringa Emigration and nearly fell off my chair!

They have increased their prices by 36% with effect from 1 June
I sent a query in March this year for my three cats and two dogs and was quoted R58 499.50. Last week they sent an updated quote of R79 879.74. Both are for a quarantine period of six months in SA, and exclude any additional charges and flights.

I phoned the kennels and was told that the increase, which came in last month, was perfectly justifiable due to their increased costs and the fact that they've installed a generator. Also made to feel like an imbecile for not understanding the fact that costs such as petrol have gone up!

So, either you cough up the additional (and do it with a grin on your face and be ever so nice to them, or they might not be nice to your pets) or make an alternative arrangements for your pets. 

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2007, 11:10:31 pm »
That's *** >:(
They effectifly holding those people pet's ransom :censored:

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2007, 04:46:56 pm »
I guess we will be using Global paws then.
I better phone around for revised quotes again - will let you know once I get them next week.

Badprop

« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2007, 05:13:59 pm »
Not fair, they know it is an emotional decision and is using it, or rather milking it.

« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2007, 05:13:59 pm »

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2007, 01:38:20 pm »
OK I have a big problem                   :thumbdown:

I phoned one company a month ago and they told me it was ok if the dog was vaccinated within the six months and we could get around it.  I have since found out that the dog cannot begin quarantine within the six months of being microchipped and having the blood tests done so now the problem is - They can only have the blood tests on the 23 July which means they cannot go into quarantine until 23 January.  We are planning to leave in October!!!!!

I also got the quarantine costs - ouchhhhhhhhhh see below

PETHAVEN QUARANTINE SERVICE

PRICE LIST
Quarantine Charges: Cats $24 (120 days $2880 +gst)

Per Dog                           Small dog                  Medium Dog             Large Dog
                                           10 kg                        10-25 kg                     25 kg plus

Quarantine fee per day      $34                               $38                              $42

120 Days                          $4080                            $4560                          $5040

Airport collection             $110                              $110                            $110
GST                                  $523.75                        $583.75                      $643.75

Total                          $4713.75                 $5253.75                $5793.75
A NZ $500.00 Non Refundable Deposit should be sent with the Quarantine Booking Form.

Additional Charges
Air New Zealand Handling Fee                                                                           $33.75
MAF (Airport clearance) per consignment                                                          $36.16                                                                                 
NZ Customs Import Transaction Fee                                                                   $30.00
ADF Fee                                                                                                               $8.00
Service Administration Fee                                                                                  $6.00
NZ Customs Entry Fee                                                                                         $70.00
Agricultural Permit                                                                                               $25 00

MAF Charges Per Pet
Inspection Fee                                             $30.00 x 17 weekly visits                 $510.00
Flea and worm treatment                                                                                      $40.00
GST                                                                                                                       $94.86

Total Additional Charges                                                                                 $853.77

Pets imported for show or breeding purposes are subject to GST on the value of the pet and freight. The owner/importer may be required to pay GST on the freight charge and value of their pet/s subject to the information supplied with the NZ Customs form.
* Airport after hours pick up                                                                                $150.00
* Whelping fee (and any additional veterinary treatment)                                  $500.00
* Triple Unit charge/day ( 1-4 dogs maximum capacity)                                    $120.00

My girls (daxies) are part of the family, it already has been so hard to come to the decision to leave the Great Dane behind I just can't imagine leaving them behind.
I am awaiting a quote from Keringa to put them in kennels from October to Jan which will break my heart.

Badprop

« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2007, 01:54:19 pm »
Oh boy this is not good.  Don't you have any good friends or family that will put up with them until they have to go into quarantine?  That is long time for them in seclusion and a hefty amount to pay :(

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2007, 03:14:39 pm »
I know it's a lot, I just don't know what to do, My mother in law has dogs that would not get on with them so that is not an option. Should we stay until January???  (I really want to get there)  I guess the kennel quote might be the deciding factor - ( that and the right numbers coming in on the lotto) basically it will work out to R75 000.00 aprox for both not including the SA kennels.  I guess I might be getting a bicycle instead of a car at this rate.

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2007, 04:05:36 pm »
my heart goes out to you guys Michelle  :'(

Can you forward me their quote so that I can add it to the quotes page?

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2007, 04:31:43 pm »
We've been back and forth on this ourselves about the cat.  At this point, she's going to friends in East Texas.  I am not excluding the idea of perhaps still flying her out in December.  Will see how things go...
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2007, 04:31:43 pm »

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2007, 05:50:16 pm »
Sure, I have emailed it through to you.

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2007, 08:32:28 pm »
thanks Michelle, I have added it HERE

Offline Smallfly

« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2007, 04:07:22 pm »
Does nayone know what rules would apply for taking my pet marmoset monkey to NZ ?

Can't find any info on the Govt. site, only info is for commercial import of zoo primates from Aus.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 04:11:54 pm by Smallfly »
Never look down upon someone, unless you are helping him up.