Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Reasons for leaving SA  (Read 10539 times)

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
Reasons for leaving SA
« on: February 21, 2007, 10:44:26 pm »
Give us your personal reasons for leaving SA.

Please no links to articles about specific crimes, there are enough of those sites out there already.

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
Re: Reasons for leaving SA
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 10:51:11 pm »
We are leaving for an assortment of reasons, I think the immportant ones are the crime situation that is out of control and then the future prospects for our daughter as we feel that education is going backward at an alarming rate. Then we also are concerned that with no end in sight for AA and BEE, she will have no real chance of a decent future when she leaves school.

Then on the lighter side, we feel we can do better in our businesses in NZ as there are not so many restrictions placed on them (read BEE).

I have also always known that someday I will live in another country, so there is definately a sense of destiny in it for me there somewhere along with a healthy dose of adventure to spice up the mix of reasons.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 10:51:11 pm »

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 03:10:42 am »
My husband had always wanted to move elsewhere even before he met me, and his first choice was NZ.  But then in 1996, friends of ours came to the States and raved about it, and phoned us that there was a position open in California, why doesn't Jan come over for an interview?  Jan came over, and loved the lifestyle of freedom, and raved about America for a year.  Then I'd had enough and said we need to makea  choice. Either we stay in SA and make our happiness there, and he shuts up about the USA, or we must go. 
We sat down and looked at our options.  Jan was not able to really progress in his career due to affirmative action.  Education was going down the tube, and we felt we didn't want to raise kids there.  so we agreed that there were better prospects for us elsewhere.  This was 8 years ago, before crime got as bad as it is now. 
We had two places we were interested in.  USA and NZ.  We chose the USA because our friends were here (even though we landed up living far away from them!), and because the economy is stronger, it's a huge country with lots of choice and variety, and opportunity. 
But deep inside I've known we'd land up in NZ eventually.  When our immigration to USA started going awry in August last year, we already started thinking of making moves for NZ, but didn't then.  When the whole thing fell through in January, I immediately took action and used this site for the info needed.  So glad I heard about this site on the very day it was created.  We've been able to get all our ducks in a row very quickly. 
I have total peace about our move to NZ.  A great excitement = more than I ever had for America.
I will always love South Africa.  Her blood runs in my veins and her blue skies are a clear memory (cherish them, friends, nowhere in the world do you see such an exquisite blue as in SA).  I cry for the way South Africa is being raped, and I long for a day when a new government will stand up, take the lead and start the long walk to true healing.
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 09:33:50 am »
Well said Colleen, what SA is now is not what anybody, from any party, voted for in 1994. SA has just changed from one racist government to another. That is one of the reasons I am very vocal when it comes to the current government. I constantly say that we need to get rid of the Old SA, New SA and let the Real SA take over. One where everybody is truly equal, has a job afforded on merit, can do business and associate with whoever they choose and not who they are forced to. SA'ns of every colour are sick of being forced to do this or that, they just want to get on with their lives and have the best opportunities their abilities allow. Sounds a lot like NZ to me.

I look forward to being able to drop the baggage that has been forced onto me for so long and just get on with my life.

Offline Shirls

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 11:49:31 am »
How my heart aches for Africa!

We are leaving because of crime - having a gun held to my head is not something I want to do again, I am worried about what kind of future we have as "swimmers" vs the "non swimmers"... I have been turned down for 2 jobs because of my skin color... what kind of future do our children have? How can we afford private schooling?Hubby's business can not survive in this economy.

My sister is already in NZ and has her citizenship, my mom is going over next year. It just makes sense.

I was born in Zimbabwe, I am an African... but we just have to look at our northern boarders and the writing is on the wall. Having just read "a Crocodile eats the sun" about Zim, I put the book down and said to Paul the time is now.

I love what we have here - the open spaces, our wonderful wild-life. But the negatives far out way the positives.

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 07:10:43 pm »
Our reasons are firstly the crime, it seems to have gone mad lately and I dread night time every night as I know that I have to sleep with my ears open.  I get up a couple of times during the night to check on things and feel constantly under stress.  I have my own business and no longer feel safe to go there alone.  My business is also mainly kid orientated and I feel I am constantly looking for dangers and am so worried that something will happen while there are kids on the premises ie armed robbery etc.
I have two kids and know that they have no future here and that they will eventually leave South Africa  when they finish school and if we wait for that then it will be too late for us to start thinking about immigrating and finding jobs etc
We live in this beautiful country but are prisoners in our own homes.  I could never go camping or hiking or let my kids sleep out in the garden as the reality is that it is not safe.
The last reason is that in my husbands career as a sportsman  things are slowly changing there and not for our benefit.

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 10:36:46 pm »
The reasons we left was crime, crime, crime.......oh and did I say crime!!! I was sick of being so scared all the time. After having my daughter and thinking OMG will she ever be able to play in the garden safely, we decided it was time to find safety!!

I miss SA terribly and have spent many hours howling, but I feel better now in NZ and having a similar lifestyle here with the safety, helps a lot!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 10:36:46 pm »

Offline ildif

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 05:56:53 pm »
My reasons for leaving isnt crime.  :o
Yes I have had a gun to my head and yes I have driven to work only to find a dead body in the driveway (its Hillbrow people...it happens), but I think I am so jaded to crime, I take it in my stride and think it "normal" now.

I'm leaving because as a laboratory manager, I see the mentality of the people I am trying to manage. It is a selfish, delusional, crazy mentality which will strangle this lab and will lead to its demise. And it is so difficult to try and do and think for 20 people. People have to realise you have to work at a job, you have to put in place actions and think of solutions and not rely on anyone to do it for them. You also cannot wait when you feel ready to do a job...one serves a client and its the clients needs that come first!!
I just can't break through to some people and I also will never to be able to convince them that whatever decision I make, I do it for the best of the lab not the individual.

Its sad...and if this is what is happening in my lab, can you imagine what is happening in the general government? :(

PS: my lab is part of government..dept of health!

Ildi

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 06:38:17 pm »
Wow.... thanks for giving us that insight, Ildi.  I can just imagine your frustrations!  Hope your immigration goes quickly and smoothly.
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 08:28:30 pm »
Ildi, I know where you are comming from. Everybody just cares about 'what's in it for me' and doesn't care or think about anybody else anymore. There is no such thing as 'make a plan' anymore, if it doesn't come on a plate, it is too difficult and doesn't get done, etc.

That is why we work for ourselves.

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2007, 09:26:43 pm »
I was just watching on TV last night a documentary about the new Academy for Leaders that Oprah Winfrey opened in January this year.  I sat and cried, when I saw the conditions these people have been living under, and how these bright young girls have succeeded in school despite their circumstances.  I cried, knowing that an American did what the rich in South Africa should have done.  I can tell you, that is one thing I've learned here in the USA.  The Americans are incredibly generous.  I've never seen such generosity in South Africa  - ever.  I felt ashamed that our governments (both the previous one and the current one) never addressed the poor in the country.  I look at Nebuchadnezzar who fell from his glorious throne, because he neglected the poor.  So shall we fall in our pride, if we do not take care of the poor.  Even the American government is at fault for the same thing.  There are many poor here in America.  The image to the outside world is that they are very rich.  But it's still the few that are rich.  The average American still struggles on a daily basis to make ends meet.  Many work two or even 3 jobs to make ends meet.
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 10:21:00 am »
Democracy is, so far and debatably so, the best way of running a country. However it's biggest drawback is that the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. That is why it is so important to build wealth and not spend all your money - to ensure that you go up & not down the ladder.

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 10:21:00 am »

Offline yolanda

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2007, 01:02:58 am »
I am angry that I have had to leave. That I had to leave my family and all my friends and spent 'n hell of a lot of money in getting herre.It isn't cheap. I had to give up my lovely house and huge garden, give away my dogs and leave my job. And why have I had to do this. Because I have no choice. I am young and so is my husband. We have our lives ahead of us and I do not see it getting better in SA. He hit the roof of affirmative action after only 4 years of working at Nedbank. 4 years was all it took to see that that for which he worked incredibly hard was not going to go anywhere. And we had to leave. Getting out of SA is not easy. The world looks for a skelm in all the applications from Africa (whether you want to admit it or not). Being residents to NZ and eventually citizens we will be able to go anywhere in the world, my kids will be able to go anywhere. And this freedom is worth a lot of sacrifice.

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2007, 02:35:17 am »
Good on you Yolanda! You are keeping a positive attitude, even when, like us all, we get so angry about leaving and all the unfair sacrifices we have to make!
The only good advice one can give, is look to the future, you have made a positive move for your family and now make a postive future too!! :smitten:

My thoughts are with you!!

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2007, 10:33:35 am »
Well said Yolanda. If SA doesn't appreciate us, we'll go were we are appreciated.