Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Article in Rapport  (Read 5853 times)

Offline chantel

Re: Article in Rapport
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2007, 09:07:00 pm »
In SA you have countless murders EVERY day; here  any murder makes headline news... can you imagine if tehy have to do taht in SA.. tehy will have one TV channe; just for that

you'll get drugs everywhere ; burglars everywhere...the difference; they dont kill me here over a cellphone they just take the cellphone
they break into your house steal the stuff and leave you ALIVE
we get a weekly area newspaper; with a police report in and the burglaries per area for the week
so you see exactly how many burgalries there were per are per week; in total around 30 per week for whole of east Auckland... I dont think tahts bad .Only 30...and its burglaries  NOT armed roberies!!! people didnt get hurt

I dont know... its by far not perfect I agree.. but its a hell of a lot safer than SA

a radio advert the other day... going away forthe holiday...
got the alarm set and worried that its not enough
why not get an electric gate?
yes an electric gate; that way you are sure you property is secure.... like hello in SA there arent any houses without electric gates everyones to scared toget out of their cars; here its a "novelty"

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2007, 09:21:34 pm »
Now people wonder why SA doesn't release proper crime stats.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2007, 09:21:34 pm »

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2007, 10:08:10 pm »
I think most of the crime isn't even reported in SA and the Government denys that the crime is bad??  :uglystupid2: So why do 99% of expats say they left because of crime and now live in countries where things like alarms and gates are such novelties?? :tickedoff:

greenfamily

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2007, 02:40:15 pm »
Hi ALL,
I posted the article  coincidentally was in NZ at the same time as the good Prof and have sat back to see the response.
Now my pennies worth.
It only stands to reason that no country is perfect but I must admit when I did see negatives things especially human behaviour or read about it I was subjectively disappointed but you must see it in context. He literally reported almost all the bad stuff,  but everything gets reported, the press make  a big thing about everything and  there is a good chance crimes are solved.
What is true it is expensive and a big adjustment.
But alas what are the alternatives we are facing!

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2007, 05:42:34 pm »
Thanks for the insight guys.

Offline yolanda

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2007, 12:55:05 am »
We have been in Auckland for 2 weeks and I have fresh first impressions. I will tell the good proffessor to go jump in a lake. People are relaxed. There is no better indication about the safety in a country than the general populations nervous vibe, or lack thereof. I am not saying the place is perfect and you get areas where you would be more careful than others. I am staying with ex south afircans and I can tell you the doors do not get locked. We will all be partying away on the top story and no one would think to lock teh doors downstairs. Our cars are left on the pavement. in the street and no one has tracker or netstar or even alarms. Kids walk around at what time by themselves and you can leave your car unlocked when running into the shop. So I beg your pardon professor for assuming that this is better than in sa. And regarding property..yes it is expensive, there is no way getting around that one. But what about my medical aid, private school costs and the cost of netstar and the armed response...and the R2 every time I stop at a shopping centre.

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2007, 02:39:17 am »
It's all most unreal  here ay? (see I'm becoming a kiwi ;))
I just love it!! :smitten:

Where in Auckland are you staying? (Sorry if you've already said somewhere?)

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2007, 02:39:17 am »