Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Semi-retirees in a fix  (Read 1147 times)

Offline Elsie

Semi-retirees in a fix
« on: March 26, 2007, 06:13:13 pm »
Hi Guys!

So glad I found your site.  My hubby and I are sitting on the fence (it feels like a spiky pallisade).  Damned if we do and damned if we don't.   We started an hydraulic repair business back in 1981, built it up and sold it in 2003 due to frazzled Gauteng nerves.  We moved to the Western Cape and live in beautiful surrounds.  Our nerves have calmed and we feel ready for another challenge,  but we don't want to start something here due to the insecurity of everything concerning whiteys.  We are on the wrong (but nice) side of fifty and we don't have papers to substantiate our experience.

Is there any possibility that we could relocate to NZ with the odds as they stand, or will we be wasting our time even trying?  I checked on the points system, and am afraid that our score is almost NIKS!

I have enjoyed reading everyone's letters.     

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
Re: Semi-retirees in a fix
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 08:19:43 pm »
Hi and welcome Elsie!
Do you have no paperwork at all to prove the business you owned for nearly 20 years?  I'm sure it has to count for something!  Oh how I wish I had all the answers (and good ones) for you!  I think Nolan may be more clued up to answer you.
In the mean time, we're here to support you in whatever way we can!
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 08:19:43 pm »

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 09:11:22 pm »
Hi guys, welcome to the site.

I hate to say this, but when you are over 55, your chances of immigrating anywhere drop dramatically.  :-\

If I presume that your experience is on the skills shortage list, then the max points you have are 45. If you could get a skilled job outside of Auckland, then you would have 105 points which get you in.  :heeha:

So time to job hunt if you want to get into NZ.  :gl:

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 09:37:29 pm »
Welcome Guys! I unfortunately don't have any advice, but will be watching closely as I have an Aunt'I'm hoping will be able to find a way to get into NZ? :-\

All the best with whatever happens!! O0

Offline antonjl

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 07:39:51 pm »
Welcome Elsie
Unfortunately it will be more difficult as we get older to immigrate.
That is why I am trying to make a move now before it is too late or too difficult.
You dont perhaps have family in NZ who can sponsor you?  :'(
Maybe look into Nolans suggestions.
Good luck