Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: a good (long) read / balanced view  (Read 4809 times)

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
Re: a good (long) read / balanced view
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 09:03:10 pm »
well, I am in the happy camp.....and I can assure you that I am not blinded to NZ's problems.

I think if I lived out of Auckland I would possibly be in the uphappy camp. I am a big city person.

..... All day I kept thinking that I am so lucky to live here.

But for me Australia is simply too hot. Silly excuse perhaps but I truly HATE heat. It makes me miserable.

Just my opinion.

You see how different we all are ?  I am in the happy camp, yet I think I would be in the unhappy camp if I lived in Auckland.  I am not a big city person. 

and every day when I drive around, I think that I am so lucky to be living here.  Yesterday we went to the Ngatimoti Festival down the road.  What an absolutely stunning area , but it is too cold, rainy and frosty in winters, so won't be living there.  It was huge, yet so gentle.  From seriously good bands, a beer and wine tent where you could get your cheese platters too, jumping castles, sheep shearing demonstrations, wood chopping cometitions, petting animals, lots of different food (I still think us Saffers show them up on that front !!), and the  most amazing stalls.  Must have been around 50 stalls . 

The other day went for a cruise in Abel Tasman National Park.  Wow !!  Can't wait to do some hikes in there for a few days.  Wanted to post some pics but am so useless at this.  Getting them resized, etc. 

And Australia for me is also too hot.  Been there, done that, and don't want the T-shirt !!  :2funny:   And in 20 years time, there will be no water. 

So there we are, one a city boy  and the other a country gal, and we are both happy little campers   ;D 

Offline Awa

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2010, 09:38:22 pm »
I must say I sometimes get annoyed when I'm accused of having blinkers on or seeing things through rose tinted glasses or living with my head in the sand - just because I'm happy in NZ.   The truth of the matter is that I work with the courts (youth and adult) and I am the unfortunate person who sees the police docs, the court docs, talk to the perpetrators, talk to the victims etc.    So if I tell you that I can go through a whole lifetime without knowing the things I know now I am not joking.  I have seen the ugliest of what NZ has to offer.  When you read about a murder or 'incident' in the paper (in Waikato) chances are that I will see all the gruesome details of that event the next day.  HOWEVER I am very happy in NZ - it is not perfect and I did not expect it to be.  Every night when we pray we thank God for the privilige of living here.  There are things I would like to change but here I feel that I can be part of that change and work toward it to ensure an even better future for my family (hence my job). 

I understand that some people are not happy in NZ - afterall we are all different and look for different things.  But I am happy - and that does not mean that I am living with blinkers on!  It's an insult to peoples intelligence (and I believe most if not all the people on this forum are intelligent) to relate their happiness in NZ to 'wearing blinkers'.
Arrive in NZ in August 2008
WP received October 2008
EOI submitted April 2010
ITA received April 2010
PR Application Submitted 07 July 2010
PR Approved 18 February 2011

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2010, 09:38:22 pm »

Offline aniena

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2010, 10:40:06 pm »
Well said Savayla!!!

When we arrived my Greek neighbour that moved to NZ 60 years ago  (they did moved to Auz for a while) said that warts and all NZ is not a bad country. At that stage we had just arrived and I couldn't really understand what she was trying to tell me- but now I do.

What I do appreciate about Nz is the fact that you can be in the country side in half an hour, a lot is for free, safety- and that there's not the "kapatalisme" ding soos in Gauteng nie. We live in Wellie and yes after the winter we are longing for the summer- but so do the UK and France, but Wellie is a lovely city- friendly and small.

I am thankful for being in Nz and I do think every country got it's positives and negatives- and the grass is not always greener on the other side.

It's what you make of it- and if you and your next generations can make a living.     

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 08:47:20 pm »
The one thing that ticks me off is the fact that some people think that you did not have another choice, NZ was your only choice. The first question that one gets when people back in SA realized that you actually moved is"why did you not move to OZ?" why should I move to OZ? I do realize that we will earn more money in OZ but money does not define our family, it does not make me who I am. Quality of life defines me and maybe in 7 years time I might move to OZ for another adventure but for now we are very content and happy.

Before we left SA a person on this forum phoned me one day and told me that I will have the shock of my life when I arrive in NZ and the purpose of her call was to prepare me for things. She told me that the South Africans moving to NZ are according to her the 2nd grade people that OZ did not want her exact words were the "rif raf" In this woman's view, only the low class citizens of SA will be happy in NZ. She indicated that the houses were wet, the people get drunk every night, the children fight at school and there is no development in terms of infrastructure and that everything is run down. I was so shocked, she was extremely unhappy. What I am trying to get at is that NZ might be behind in some things such as huge skyscrapers and telecommunications infrastructure but this country is WAY AHEAD in the development and maintenance of the most important things. In SA we lived comfortably and we could buy most of the things that we wanted. Because I love NZ it does not mean that I am used to second best or used to living in bad circumstances, not at all. NZ surpassed most of our expectations and for all off you still on your way............... you DO find good quality clothes, furniture, electronic equipment etc and I don't find the quality of things good or sufficient in NZ because I was used to cheaper things in SA- not at all.   

It is therefore evident that I did not come here with rosy  tinted glasses not at all.  :) We thank God everyday for granting us this opportunity

understand that some people are not happy in NZ - afterall we are all different and look for different things.  But I am happy - and that does not mean that I am living with blinkers on!  It's an insult to peoples intelligence (and I believe most if not all the people on this forum are intelligent) to relate their happiness in NZ to 'wearing blinkers'.

Agree  O0

Offline thombatt

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 02:51:46 am »
I'm largely in agreement with Rockhopper here. I do have some observations though.

There is no doubt that it is easier for Saffers to emmigrate to NZ than Australia. Australian criteria is stricter and their timelines longer. World wide Australia is probably considered the premier immigration destination (these are Nolan's words, and  I think they are very true). This allows Australia to be very picky about who they allow in. It also means there is somone else in line who will take the place of anyone who falls out. HOWEVER that does not result in poor applicants been diverted to NZ. NZ has high standards, if they are lower than Australia, I'm not sure. The process is certainly quicker and Nz will allow older immgrants than Australia will. I don't see that age and time to approval is the difinition of rif raf.

However to say such people derseve to be in Australia   well well well   a comment in jest I have no doubt!

I have been fortunate to spend some time in Australia and deal with Australians on a regular basis in my role. They are genuine and engaging people.

I was told that NZ'ers and Australians should rather be considered as competing cousins and I use that as a standard when thinking about the relationship. I have no doubt that Australia would be first in line to provide aid to NZ if NZ were to ask for it. Certainly Nz fire crews have crossed the ditch to help Australia in times if need. The devestating bush fires outside of Melbourne when 70 odd people lost their lives is probably the most recent example.

I suspect it is not appropriate to ask which of the two countries is better, but rather accept the fact that they are different! I am very happy in the short time I have spent in Nz. I suspect I would have been happy if I had moved to Australia. My brother is a NZ and Australian citizen. If you ask him he will tell you he is Australiasian. He has a great love for both countries.

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2010, 03:09:47 am »
hahahahah... you crack me up, Rockhopper!  ;D

Yes, I agree, about the Frenchman, which is why I posted what I did.  His opinion is based on where he comes from and on his expectations and the experiences he's had. 

I too would feel rather insulted (if I was that easily insulted to begin with! LOL) if somebody called us 2nd grade people. 

When we had to leave the USA, we had our pic of countries, because my husband has a degree and many years in a diverse range of areas in the IT field.  We could have gone to the UK, Europe, Dubai, Canada, Oz, NZ.... anywhere in the world.  At the time, logistically speaking, Canada would have been a good choice - they're just "up the road", and we'd just have to pack our house into a U-Haul truck and drive up.  But we don't like THAT kind of cold, and for that many months, and besides Canada's workforce is run by unions. 

We didn't want to go to a culture that is so far removed from our own that we would have to learn new languages, and totally new ways of living.  So that left  UK/Ireland (too much rain and still too cold), Aus and NZ.  Although in Oz, we might earn more, we'd also be paying more for housing and certain other things.  You're also limited to certain areas and they seem to have a perpetual water problem. 

We chose NZ for the following reasons: 
* It's a country we'd looked at before we even went to the States. 
* I have both my sisters and my dad here already, so the family factor was a big pull. 
* And overall the weather was a lot better than most of the other options.  The amount of green that one sees as one drives around has an incredible calming, soothing effect on one's overall morale.  We are far more relaxed here than we've ever been. 
Certain things cost more than we'd like to have to pay, but overall, I'm still glad we chose NZ over the rest.  We could still go anywhere, if we really wanted/needed to. 
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2010, 08:19:53 pm »
We are one of the people that had a choice.  We could go live in Norway due to Citizenship .  We thought of France and Spain.  And then there was Oz.  We went there and loved it.  And, the area we had chosen had family and 3 couples of our university friends within half an hours drive .  So everything was there for us. 

But when my Hubby got off the plane in New Zealand , he said "I can feel I am home " .  For us it has been an almost 15 year love affair.  And like love affairs, they do go through some really rough patches.   Having been here for almost 7 months now, in a place of choice, we are loving every single day of it.  At every stage of this immigration process, we have asked ourselves if we should go back to Asia or to Australia, and every time we have posted off those documents. 

I guess , as a rif raf, that also used to listen to Koos Kombuis, I like to hit my kids, get drunk everynight, and hate malls, which is why I moved here.  To fit in .  :2funny:

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2010, 08:19:53 pm »

Offline LoveNZ

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2010, 09:01:46 pm »
this makes for a good read as well. Our Frenchman should be concerned about his ;D ;D

http://www.transparency.org/policy_research/surveys_indices/cpi/2010/results

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2010, 09:23:13 pm »
Yeah, NZ = 2, equal points to nr's 1 & 3,
France = 25
South Africa = 54

"Not too shabby, hey Nige??"
Enjoy,  ;) , SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2010, 09:33:21 pm »

In this woman's view, only the low class citizens of SA will be happy in NZ. She indicated that the houses were wet, the people get drunk every night, the children fight at school and there is no development in terms of infrastructure and that everything is run down.

Forgot to ask this .  Where was this lady living ?  West Auckland ? 

Offline LoveNZ

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2010, 09:36:01 pm »
I think she is on the Shore....

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2010, 09:37:56 pm »
WoW... Is she still in NZ ??, and on the forum??
Eish,  :whistle: , SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
07/03/2008-Receive ITA

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2010, 09:37:56 pm »

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2010, 09:40:43 pm »
Do you think the reason behind Australia being 8 on the ranking is due to their convict nation ?  :whistle:

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2010, 09:44:14 pm »
Do you think the reason behind Australia being 8 on the ranking is due to their convict nation ?  :whistle:

Yeah well, maybe.....  ::)
They ARE a bunch of POME's... you're right.
Prisoners Of Mother England...  :2funny:

Enjoy, SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
07/03/2008-Receive ITA

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2010, 02:28:15 am »

In this woman's view, only the low class citizens of SA will be happy in NZ. She indicated that the houses were wet, the people get drunk every night, the children fight at school and there is no development in terms of infrastructure and that everything is run down.

Forgot to ask this .  Where was this lady living ?  West Auckland ? 

She stayed on the Shore. :-X