Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: A dream that just does not want to quit...  (Read 1183 times)

Offline smcspan

A dream that just does not want to quit...
« on: July 07, 2011, 11:33:32 am »
Ah, alas, we are saying good bye to my OH's cousin and his wife tonight. 

They've been living in Auckland for nearly a year and a half.. might even be two, and they've been visiting here.

I cling to every word they say, even though I think they've reached the two year mark where the honeymoon has started to fade.  They are missing home, things start becoming a reality.  He's lost his job a week before coming, and she's longing for a simpler life.  Still... I think when you put things into perspective, they've got a lovely life there!

I've been wanting to go so bad but it just isn't working out for us at the moment.  (I'm studying hard and trying to get my papers!)

We've decided to buy a house, and settle down for a bit before trying again.

But still... I think about it every day.  I go onto Flickr and look at photo's of New Zealand.  I look at places to live in.  I look at work.  I pray extremely hard.  And yet, it's not meant to be just yet.

So even if it's exciting to buy a house, I just can't shake this feeling that I wish it was us leaving on a plane tomorrow and heading to a life somewhere else.

Ah, it's so bad when you pray for something and it just doesn't want to happen!  Must learn patience I guess...

Maybe one day, hopefully soon! :)

Offline 2GatJakkals

Re: A dream that just does not want to quit...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 03:34:56 pm »
What is it that keeps you from going?
EOI selected Sept 2011, ITA received Oct 2011, ITA submitted 23 Feb 2012.
Job offer received 10 Apr 2012, Applied for WP 16 Apr 2012, WP issued 24 May 2012, Wife started working in Wellington 1 June 2012.
PR approved 18 July 2012, House in Pretoria sold Oct 2012, Arrived in NZ 1 Dec 2012

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 03:34:56 pm »

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 11:41:15 pm »
Hold on to that dream.  We first left in 2003, with two babies in tow, having sold everything .  It didn't work out.  For the past 7 years, we have kept that dream alive, and now we have been here for 1 year and have just got residency. 

It ain't been easy, but the forums, the internet, does keep it alive.  And yes, it is a wonderful, wonderful place.  We are still so very happy and would never think of ever returning. 

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 03:16:09 am »
We also thought we were dreamimg the impossible dream and were convinced it was never going to happen, but here we are and loving it  :)  Stay focused and don't give up - make any sacrifice you can, whether it be financial or otherwise as it is so worth it. It's not easy to be patient once you have the urge  :gl2:

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 08:21:34 am »
Keep dreaming... dreams DO come true, but you have to sometimes MAKE them happen!

Just aside...  why are you buying a house?  Would it not be easier to rent until you have your papers?  Because a lot of people get tied in with a house and can't get them sold when they finally want to move overseas.  Just something to think about very seriously.   You could rent for hopefully less than a mortgage (bond?) would cost, and then put that extra money away into savings so that you have that safety net when it comes to paying for all the immigration fees.
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 08:33:57 am »
Keep dreaming... dreams DO come true, but you have to sometimes MAKE them happen!

Just aside...  why are you buying a house?  Would it not be easier to rent until you have your papers?  Because a lot of people get tied in with a house and can't get them sold when they finally want to move overseas.  Just something to think about very seriously.   You could rent for hopefully less than a mortgage (bond?) would cost, and then put that extra money away into savings so that you have that safety net when it comes to paying for all the immigration fees.

Some good advice/thoughts zatexnz O0

x
~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened~

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 08:40:43 am »
Hi smcspan - zatexnz, has given you some great advice! Hope all your dreams come true,  :gl2: And as for the patience - yip, good things come to those who wait....... :)

x
~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened~

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 08:40:43 am »

Offline SDB

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 08:52:20 am »
When the time is right for you it will happen and you will look back and feel that you were never there.....Everything happens for a reason.   ;)
''Live each day to the fullest.
Get the most from each hour, each day,
and each age of your life.
Then you can look forward with confidence,
and back without regrets''

Offline smcspan

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 09:42:10 am »
Thanks you guys for the chin up!

Had a good crying session last night over a glass of red wine! lol, feel much better today! (nothing like a good old cry to get it out of your system).

By the looks of things, we won't be going in the next two to three years. 

I am just a normal accountant, need an honours degree... so, need to get to level 7, plus a year's experience in that callibre.

We live in Stellenbosch, where you pay R8,000 rent for a two bedroom place.  So, we are going to buy an investment property (in the new "up and coming" northern suburbs... which in all honesty I've never thought we'd go to... but that's where the most growth is) which we can fix up a bit and make a profit on.  May come in handy when we leave.  See, sacrifices.

Plus, we might just end up keeping it and pay it off from NZ.  (See, I think it's going to be like London where the currency difference came in very handy... which might be the wrong way of thinking.)  We are planning on getting along on public transport and getting the most for our money.  We normally are very good and ended up not even eating meat in order to save money whilst in London.

I don't know, just a bit confused at this moment, but still think buying property is a good thing if you can afford it, because there's a massive rental market now (since not everybody can buy at the moment).

The place we saw last night had a bond repayment of R5,400.00 but has tenants in that pays R6,000.00 per month. 

Either way, I'm going to do my best to get there as soon as we can!

Hopefully the recent reports I've read that financial skills are getting short in NZ will mean that we end up on the shortage skills list.

Just slightly depressed about it all... will come right! x

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 05:52:55 am »
Just be very careful about thinking of keeping it while you're in NZ.  We have friends that tried that, and they really struggled financially to keep up with rent and living costs on this end AND still paying mortgage on that end, because the tenants didn't pay all they had to pay. Even when a renting agent was involved.  And when something goes wrong with the property, you're not there to check it out yourself.

But overall, if you still have a few years before you can actually make it here, then go for it!! All the best!!
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen