New Zealand Visa Samples

Posted on: January 14th, 2013 by admin

What do the famous Blue Stickers look like ?

We are all working so hard to get our New Zealand Visa, but do you know what it looks like?
Below are examples of some of the visas, along with a brief explanation of each.

You can click on each picture to have it enlarged in a new window.

Residence Visa

New Zealand Permit Visa Residence

This is the famous PR Visa which allows you to stay in New Zealand permanently.
With this visa you are however not allowed to leave the country and return again. To leave the country and come back again you need a Returning Residents Visa (shown below) which allows you to come and go.

Leaving the country without a RRV would mean that you cannot re-enter New Zealand and would have to go through the whole process of applying for PR again.

To obtain a PR Visa, you need to apply to immigrate to New Zealand.
More info on how to go about applying to immigrate to New Zealand can be found HERE.

Returning Resident’s Visa

Returning Residents Visa

You are issued a Returning Resident’s Visa along with your PR permit. You need this visa when you leave New Zealand to visit family outside New Zealand, or leave the country temporarily for any reason.
If you have a PR Visa and don’t have a RRV, please apply for one immediately. The form is HERE.

The RRV is only valid for a certain period of time so you need to ensure that you are back in New Zealand before the expiry date.

Also never leave New Zealand without a RRV otherwise your PR Visa will expire
Also ensure that your passport is valid for the duration of your visit too .

Once your RRV has expired and you apply for a new one, they will in all likelyhood issue one for an indefinite period, which means that you can now come and go with the same ease as a natural citizen.

Work Visa – Closed


If you have a job offer in New Zealand and apply for a Work Visa, you will be issued with a closed work visa. This means that the visa only allows you to work in a specified capacity at a specified employer for a certain amount of time. You must leave New Zealand BEFORE your work visa expires or you will be deported. If this happens your chances of being accepted into any other country is as good as zero.

If you are in New Zealand on a closed work visa and you get a better job offer or your circumstances have changed and you want to change jobs, you must speak to your Immigration Case Officer BEFORE changing jobs. South Africans have been kicked out of New Zealand before because of this, so don’t take chances.

The Closed Work Visa is normally issued to the Principle Applicant, ie., the person applying for the permit.

Work Visa – Open


An open work visa allows you to work in New Zealand at any employer in any capacity for the period specified on the visa. As with the Closed Work Visa, it is important to leave the country BEFORE your visa expires.

An open work visa is usually issued to the partner of the principle applicant.

If you have a different visa and would like to share how it looks, then please Contact Us. Your personal details will be blanked out to protect your identity.

« « Family Category | Home Menu | How to use the Internet to do Immigration Research » »