Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Best pet travel agency from Cape Town, SA  (Read 2287 times)

Offline Vogue

Best pet travel agency from Cape Town, SA
« on: February 23, 2008, 06:05:54 pm »
Hi All,

Our EOI was selected and we hope to be in NZ before the end of the year.  My miniature pincher (Sandy) is coming with us.  Hubby (ivansa) knows that the issue is not debatable - the cost is worth it, as she is my baby.

Could anyone please tell me what pet travel agency in Cape Town is the best and how long before the time should I contact them.  She had her previous vacanation last year and are getting one again in two week's time.

Thank you for helping us down here!!

Thania

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
Re: Best pet travel agency from Cape Town, SA
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 09:59:54 am »
Not sure about Cape Town, we used Keringa in JHB (we were from DBN) contact them for flight prices and a list of the steps that need to be taken before your dog leaves.  Then also contact a quarantine kennel in NZ and make a provisonal booking for your dog.  They fill up quickly.  Mine are at Qualified Pet services in Auckland and so far so good.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 09:59:54 am »

Offline Doreen

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 10:39:02 am »

I agree with MJ, you must start immidiatly Vogue, because they must be here more or less 6 months before they can fly to NZ. There vaccination must not be older than one year. They do the rabies test and from that day 6 months on they can fly. After 3 weeks you must take her back for blood tests that they send to Onderstepoort. Then Onderstepoort will give you a sertificate. If you have the sertificate, you can book her place overseas. Then if you get a letter from them to confirm your place, you must apply for her import permit. If you have that, you must take it to the state vet(find out who they are by your local vet) that the state vet can sign all the papers for you.

It is better for me to let her stay the last month before she fly in Keringa because there is more injections, paperwork etc to be done. They must also build her crate. And they know all the regulations. They also put her on the plane.

Hope that helps!!

MJ is your dogs currently by Qualified Pet services? I also booked for my dog there. Are you satisfied? Everything seems to be okey for me, there. I Choosed them because they looked closer and maybe a little cheaper.

greenfamily

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 12:38:38 pm »
I recomend Estelle at Animal Travel Services021 934 9556

Offline Vogue

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 04:48:51 pm »
Thanks!  This is helping a lot - I will start right away.

I've heard about Quality Pets in NZ and had a look at their website and they seem to be nice.  Hopefully she won't be in NZ quarantine for much longer than 3 months.  (Apparently it can as long as 6 months if they are not satisfied with her health, etc.)

Thania

Offline Doreen

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 06:31:53 pm »
They must be there 4 months. The six months here in SA she can stay at home while you do all the neccesary!

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 10:26:57 am »
Hi Doreen
I am happy with them at Qualified.  The staff are very friendly and helpful and the kennel staff stay the same so the dogs get used to the same people.  You can see they are animals lovers as they are always playing and cuddling the dogs in the normal kenneling section (the quarantine ones are not allowed out of the allocated section).  They have plenty of blankets and when I asked about the cold they were happy to put more in.  There are loads of SA dogs there too.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 10:26:57 am »

Offline Doreen

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 02:02:05 pm »
Thanks MJ! Kila's getting cold very easily. I will tell that for them when I visit them. I don't know where I am going to stay, but hope to go maybe twice a week!

Offline ivansa

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 03:52:00 pm »
Thx all , will relay the message to the dw.
She's in PTA on business.