Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: What will it cost to take two cats with to NZ?  (Read 1860 times)

Offline tasha

What will it cost to take two cats with to NZ?
« on: October 04, 2008, 07:10:25 pm »
I have seen the posts on the whole procedure one has to follow to take your pets with, but what will it cost for two cats? :confused:

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
Re: What will it cost to take two cats with to NZ?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 09:57:16 pm »
Tasha, do a search on google, there are agents who deal with pets, their websites should have info for you.  It will cost a lot.  When I investigated it the cost was close to what it cost me to bring my container over.  :heeha:
So have a good look at the prices.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 09:57:16 pm »

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 10:17:53 am »
You can also do search here I think...

We were looking at taking our one cat over last year, from the States.  It would have cost us in total (after chip implantation, rabies shots and the whole toot), around $3,500 - $4000 for ONE cat and that is US$ - so x 8 = around R30,000?  So around R60,000 - R70,000 for two cats?  Oh wait... and that does not include the $1000 a month on this end for quarantine, and you have to wait something like 4 months on this end.  So another R45,000 for the quarantine on this end (for both cats).
These are not hard facts, just estimates.  Best is to find the cpy's that do the pet immigration on that end, and find out on this end (NZ), what the different approved vets charge for quarantine these days.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 10:19:53 am by zatexnz »
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline tasha

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 05:21:40 pm »
Thank you all!!

I knew it will not be cheap but that much???  :o Wow, I think it will be wise just to get them a good home on this side and keep the money as one never knows what will happen in the "great unknown"

Now I'll just have to break the bad news to the family... :'(

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 10:47:15 pm »
Coleen is right, I am sure that was what we worked it out to  :heeha: when we were unsure of what to do with our little darlings.
Tasha find them a good home it is far kinder to the cats.

Offline Paperdoll

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 08:48:03 pm »
Hi Tasha

We have just been through this heartache.  With such a high cost, we decided to give it try first to see if we could get a good home for our baby (maltese).  It was absolutely heartbreaking to say goodbye to her when she left us and we cried all day.  But we have since heard that she has crept into her new parents' hearts, taken over their house and it looks like she is settling down.  So I think it will work out for the best of all of us (her and us).

Offline Bevmac

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 08:53:37 pm »
Good Luck Tasha, i recently had to sell my two horses due to our impending move, i didnt and dont have ±100k just to fly one of them there never mind both or the quarantine etc etc.

I had my one chap since he was 3 and he is now 8 so that was a very hard thing to deal with and still is, luckily both my boys have awesome homes and settling in well.

I hope you can find wonderful loving homes for your cats.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 08:03:18 pm by Bevmac »

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 08:53:37 pm »

Lea

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 07:34:15 am »
Do keep in mind that you won't be allowed pets at the majority of rental homes (I would say around 95% - 98%).  There are a few places who might be happy with a cat, but certainly the majority of places you won't be allowed a pet.  That's what we found with most rental homes we've been looking at the past 4 years.