Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: 10 year old Staffie  (Read 2408 times)

Offline zerohennie

10 year old Staffie
« on: February 14, 2011, 11:06:33 am »
 :nosey:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 09:16:20 pm by zerohennie »

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
Re: 10 year old Staffie
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 11:48:27 am »
hi guys
This is a tough one, we are flying over soon ,but want some info on how to get our Pet over, he is a 10 year old Staffie, in good health, he is part of our family, but the problem is we are coming over Cowboy style so it would be difficult to explain to the guys at the airport why we are taking our Pet with, I do not think it can be done, the other option is to leave him with our friends for the time being until I have got my WP and then arrange for his move, what would the costs be how much do I need to keep in mind, how long will it take to move him over, what are the complications? I know lots of questions but he is family. The other problem we have is many rentals do not allow for pets...maybe call him a cat as I see many rentals allow cats....lol

Ah, yet another SA staffie to grace our shores... O0 We too are a staffie loving family - well, all dogs! zerohennie, considering you are coming Cowboy Style - yes, I would would personally leave him with friends until you have your WP and then arrange his move. By saying that, we all know that staffies live till ripe old ages, and I like so many of us on this forum know only too well how hard this decision is.... :-\ It was just not an option for us to leave our staffie in SA - he handled so well - besides living till ripe old ages - they are so flippin tough! Yes, rentals can be hectic regarding dogs - I have heard of some families even offering an extra couple of $$$ to the landlord in this regard so their beloved dogs can stay with them - you can say that he is an outside dog - we did lie in Australia - OF COURSE I would never dream of letting him sleep outside - but they, the rental crown where happy with that - and at 'rental inspections' just leave his bed and food containers outside - everyone is none the wiser..... :whistle: Where there's a way, there's a will.....my boy is my baby - and I am not the only one who feels that way about there beloved furry family members! Good on you.....so many folk would just leave a dog of that age, pack and leave......I hope it all works out for you guys.... :1hug:

x
~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened~

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 11:48:27 am »

Offline zerohennie

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 12:46:23 pm »
 :nosey:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 09:16:33 pm by zerohennie »

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 06:52:26 pm »
Lol! Nope, somehow I do not think they could ever pass as 'Paris Hilton' handbag dogs.....way too macho for that..... ;D As to the quarantine issue - I personally would leave him in SA for the 'bulk' of the stay ......and the last month, or how many weeks here in NZ - SA has a FANTASTIC repu regarding quarantine stations, especially Keringa in JHB. As for prices, sorry cannot help you there - a rough idea - our staffie cost us about R30 000 quarantine cost in SA (6 months stay) and another R6000+- for his airfare (bloody ripoff I think) and $300 for the last 4 week stay in Australia, and that was a couple of years ago - I do believe that the costs have gone up somewhat..... :o but, oh, so worth it!! Going in for the third year - and our dog has NO idea what his family have done for him.......and all the $$$$ we forked out....BUT at least we know that he did not end up in some staffie dog fighting syndicate in SA, if we had left him and the person we left him with decided they did not want him - he was rather hyper as a younger dog.....as your staffie may be classed as a 'extra care' dog because of his age - there may be additional costs involved.

Wishing you well.... O0
~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened~

Offline Anna007

• Browns Bay, NZ
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 06:51:45 am »
hi zerohennie  :welcome:

jy sal heaps en heaps info kry oor pets op hierdie forum, gaan kyk net by:
SA Going to NZ Advice Forum » Getting Ready To Leave » Taking the Pets
"What we see depends mainly on what we look for"

Offline Gypsymom

• In the winterless north
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 12:12:53 pm »
hi guys
This is a tough one, we are flying over soon ,but want some info on how to get our Pet over, he is a 10 year old Staffie, in good health, he is part of our family, but the problem is we are coming over Cowboy style so it would be difficult to explain to the guys at the airport why we are taking our Pet with, I do not think it can be done, the other option is to leave him with our friends for the time being until I have got my WP and then arrange for his move, what would the costs be how much do I need to keep in mind, how long will it take to move him over, what are the complications? I know lots of questions but he is family. The other problem we have is many rentals do not allow for pets...maybe call him a cat as I see many rentals allow cats....lol

I don't know where you are living, but if you contact one of the companies that specialize in moving pets they will be able to answer a lot of questions.  The quarantine period has now changed, it will be in effect from the end of April - 10 days!! For people that are leaving now, it is better, and a lot cheaper, to leave the dogs in a SA kennel until then. That is what I am thinking of doing. Even though I won't be able to visit them,    :'( :' ( :'(they will have more freedom in an ordinary kennel, than they would in a quarantine facility.
I don't think going cowboy style should stop you taking him, but it is risky. The NZ immigration site is also helpful, but maybe not up to date yet.
Good luck, staffies are very special.
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]