Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: are no pets allowed in rentals?  (Read 3451 times)

Offline micky2011

are no pets allowed in rentals?
« on: April 27, 2011, 07:32:59 pm »
hello there

searching for a rental in Auckland on trademe, and it appears that nobody will allow pets, is then worth it to bring my dogs across?

is there a website dedicated for rentals that allow pets? or are owners prepared to  accept an incentive?

sorry for the tone, I'm a bit frustrated....
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 07:44:31 pm by micky2011 »

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
Re: are no pets allowed in rentals?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 10:46:22 pm »
Kiwiwannabee took her dog and found a rental, so perhaps ask her ?

Otherwise, to start off with, there are a lot of motels, b&B's etc that do take pets.  Do an internet search on pet friendly accomodation in NZ.  There are a few sites and even a book.  I was quite surprised when we were looking to take our dogs on holiday with us. 

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 10:46:22 pm »

Offline Gypsymom

• In the winterless north
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 01:34:41 am »
It is true, most rentals do not allow pets, but don't despair, there are some that do. I found a very nice rental that is letting me have my dogs,  :) :) OK, I had to convince the landlord that my dogs live outside!!! ;) ;), but at least they can come.  A rental agency told me that the 'no pets' clause is standard, but anything is negotiable. It imagine it would be harder in a city than if you were in a small place or even rural.
Do you bring your pets?  It is up to you but the quarantine period has been changed to 10 days which is better (and cheaper).
With me it was not negotiable, and I admit I was thinking I would never find a place, but I did. My dogs are still in kennels in SA waiting for 2 May when the quarantine law changes then they will fly out. :clap: :clap:
Unfortunately, irresponsible pet owners have spoiled it for us.  :tickedoff:
Keep looking, and if you find a place that suits you speak to the agent, you never know. There are places out there that are pet friendly.
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 05:01:35 am »
I'd also like to know as I see dogs all over our neighbourhood in the parks etc, but I never ever hear them barking  :nosey:

Offline till23

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 05:35:31 am »
Kiwis have an irrational fear/attitude towards dogs. They see every dog as a potential vicious beast that will maim or kill their precious little ones. Staffies get a very bad rap here as well - when there is an unfortunate incident involving a dog it is usually a pitbull or a staffie cross. They also think a staffie and pitbull is the same. The irony is they are far more tolerant towards cats that spray mark their territories even in the house.

We also brought our staffie from SA 8 years ago and battled for 3 weeks to find a rental with the same result - no dog allowed. We offered to pay double the required bond - no luck. After 3 weeks of this I got fed up and told the agents/owners we have no pets( yes I lied ) and got the rental we wanted. We had the rental for a year and no one was any the wiser. Owners or their property managers have the right to inspect the rental property but only on prior notice to you and at a time when it  suits you. We decide that if they wanted such an inspection we would "arrange" for the kids to take it for a walk on the beach before they arrive. Our cover story in case somebody saw the dog would be that it is a friends dog we are "dogsitting" for the day. Our staffie also mostly sleep during the day and only go out to wee and poo. Bottom line we had no problems during the year - they did not even inspect the property once and we bought our own place after the year.

I know there are people on this forum who insist you do everything according to the rules. I am a law abiding citizen and always try to play by the rules but if you are confronted by such an irrational and uneducated prejudice something has to give and I was not prepared to sacrifice the family pet in the process.

Offline micky2011

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 07:31:16 am »
thanks guys, really appreciate the advice...

my 2 labradors saved my family's life when we had a break-in - I'll spare everybody the details, and we are therefore even more attached to them.

I'll still bring them, just have to make a plan with the rentals

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 07:33:38 am »
We have two puppies and a dog. The council is very strict regarding the licensing of your dogs, and that you know the rules about where you are allowed to take your dogs walking.

Although we live on a 29 hectare park, and there are only 10 houses, we had to apply for a kennel license as our property is only 3/4 of an acre.  We are the only ones with a fence, and although the other dogs continually come to our fence and run around, we have been given a bit of flack for our dog jumping our fence and going jolling.   When I told the lady at the council that I didn't realise we had to get a kennel license (having more than 2 dogs in a residential area on a property smaller than 1 acre, and not used for working purposes ) she said it was up to me to read up on all the rules.  She also gave me a load of poo bags .  There are certain no go areas, and this includes within 10 metres of a playground or picnic table, and certain beaches in our area (Rabbit Island, Abel Tasman NP beaches , ,etc ) which are very well mapped out on their site. 

As our dog seems to love to go jolling next door up the hill (and Thank goodness we are good friends with these neighbours ) and he does it with his eyes closed, we have now bought a dog fence shocker.  It is a wire that you run around your property, the dog wears a collar, and if he goes too close to the fence he gets a shock.  Apparently they only do it about twice and never again.  The fast they run at the fence, the bigger the shock .... we know how smart dogs can  be !!   :2funny: 

We are doing this because if something does happen, we are responsible, and the next door  neighbours are having lambs and he is an ex pig dog.   Beautiful, gentle nature and so good with my young girls, but one never knows if there is a pig around and he goes bossies !!!! 

So the bottom line is go and see your council, and get all the pamphlets and read up as they don't go in for "I didn't know , I am new here " . 

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 07:33:38 am »

Offline Chan in Wellington

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 07:40:31 am »
Sorry if I sound ignorant, but are most properties unfenced in NZ?
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

Offline moonbeam

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 07:47:18 am »
Yup.   :)

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 02:53:59 pm »
Sorry if I sound ignorant, but are most properties unfenced in NZ?

In our area most properties are fenced, but many don't have front fences.  Note the term fence and not ugly concrete walls.  Our front fence and side fence is high, but the back fence is only waist high so as not to obstruct the view of the lake and park.  Even though this is a public area and all the bedrooms face the back we feel very safe and even leave the very large, unsecured windows open when not at home  :clap:

Offline Chan in Wellington

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 04:00:12 pm »
Was just a bit concerned that if all houses are not fenced, how do you keep the dogs from roaming around the neighbourhood...I get the picture now.
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 09:17:02 pm »
In most of the rural / semi-rural places, properties are not fenced at all.   NONE !!  So I don't know how they control their dogs, unless they are also using the shocker system, as you don't need a fence, you just bury it under the ground .

I forgot to mention that Vet fees are very high here .  So much so, that we have taken out vet insurance which is not pricey but I think definately worth it.  We are paying $37 a month for a dog, which covers everything up to $13000 a year, including if the dog dies they pay you $1000, third pary insurance in case they cause an accident, bite someone, etc etc, and if you had booked a holiday but you got sick and the dog had to be kenneled they pay for that too.  Worth the piece of mind .  Just the removal of an obstruction in the throat costs $1200 !! 

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 09:17:02 pm »

Offline SA3001

• Certified Addict
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 09:34:01 pm »
Thanks for the tip Savayla.  Definitely worth $37p/m.  I'm hoping that we'll get a pet again next year - cat or dog.  Or if I win the Lotto, a whole bunch of animals and a rural retreat  ;)  Really miss having a pet  :'(

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 10:10:22 pm »
Sure.  We  found Petplan to be the best .  DH had promised the girls they could get a dog of their choice when we got PR, but as it has dragged on, and this promise has been for the past 6 years , he did it when we got FB.  I was a nervous wreck about it, but he said "We are not leaving ".  They do make your life better !!