Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Jock our Staffie - one of the hardest decisions  (Read 2954 times)

Offline zerohennie

Jock our Staffie - one of the hardest decisions
« on: September 02, 2011, 11:24:27 am »
 :nosey:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 09:06:52 pm by zerohennie »

Offline Chan in Wellington

Re: Jock our Staffie - one of the hardest decisions
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 11:38:38 am »
 :'(  All I can say is I know how you feel.  I have to find homes for my (inseperable) Golden Retriever and Jack Russell.  They are like kids to me, not pets.  I feel so guilty and like such a deserter...how could they ever forgive me for farming them out to strangers.  Awful part of immigration.   :'(  :'(  :'(
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 11:38:38 am »

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 08:03:51 pm »
I, personally would have found it harder to say goodbye to our dog, than saying goodbye to some family members!

I hope and  :pray: your Mom can look after your boy, this is extremely sad, and more so for them, as they are losing their family. My first staffie I got at age 8 (for my birthday, as a pup) I left for London with friends at age 20,  4 weeks later he died under my bed.....he pined away, simply of a broken heart. We simply do not know how much our pets adore us.

Good luck, this is one of the toughest decisions to make......... I'm sure 'Granny' will give him loads of love and treats!

x
~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened~

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 08:35:17 pm »

BTW - do not forget to leave him items of your clothing tee-shirts are good, unwashed with your body scent - this does help! :1hug:

x

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 08:15:59 am »
It sure is hard!  We had to make the same decision for our then 13yr old cat.  She's now nearly 17 and "retiring" in the East of Texas.  At least she's with friends and I get occasional updates on her.  But she's getting old, and I know that I probably will not see her again.  So sad!!  So yes, we know how you feel!!  :'(
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline morph

• Trying to find my place in the world ...
    • A new life in New Zealand
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 12:50:50 am »
I really feel for you. I do hope your mum takes him for you. This is what I wrote about one of our dogs. http://katesrichards.blogspot.com/2009/11/you-have-to-stay-ben.html (You have to stay, Ben).

It is heartbreaking and I cried countless tears, but slowly and surely you do recover. You never forget them though.

All the best
Hi there. We moved to NZ in Dec 2009. So far so good! We love it here. You're welcome to visit my blog and read our story.

Offline Gypsymom

• In the winterless north
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 03:06:26 am »
Oh dear. I brought my 2 jack Russel over, and they were not young - 10 and 11 years old.  Remember the quarantine is only 10 days now so it does cut down on the cost. Yes it is expensive, but not as bad as it was when it was 4 months quarantine. For me it was doggy heaven or NZ.  They are here now and it is like they were never away.  It is a very hard decision to make. I found a rental that allows dogs, some people just sneak them in.   :gl: :gl: :gl: :hug:
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 03:06:26 am »

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 06:24:23 am »
I really feel for you. I do hope your mum takes him for you. This is what I wrote about one of our dogs. http://katesrichards.blogspot.com/2009/11/you-have-to-stay-ben.html (You have to stay, Ben).

It is heartbreaking and I cried countless tears, but slowly and surely you do recover. You never forget them though.

All the best

.......and I cried, just reading it! :'( beautifully written, but heart breaking to say the least - one has to be a animal lover to appreciate this - cats, in my experience can adapt to anything, change.....dogs tend to become so dependant on us, our smell our presence it is so much harder for them to cope without their 'parents'....especially if you have had them since a pup, we got ours at aged 5 weeks old.....could not even walk up or down our back door step, it was bigger than him..... :smitten: would always topple off! I knew then, come hell or high.....I would never give this little dog up, for any reason....

I must be honest, I would do it again in a heartbeat, but would be EXTREMELY worried.....our dog did the Cape Town to JHB, then after quarantine, JHB to Perth - then 2 years later - Perth to Auckland and Auckland to Tauranga.......major traveller!

BUT!!!............ I was chatting to one of the cabin crew ladies on our Air New Zealand flight and asked her about how the dogs handle in the hold......she admitted that is is FREEZING down there!!!!! I almost  :faint: Her dog almost died on route to the USA - where they lived a couple of years back, got terribly sick - Geez, did I feel SO guilty for shunting our baby all over the world, but, alas, he is non worse for wear for all those flights he had to endure........

My heart goes out to all owners who have to make this life altering change - as it really is, especially if you have children who have become great buddies with the family dog - it is like losing a part of you.

x

Offline till23

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 08:47:54 am »
In terms of International Air Transport Association regulations for the humane treatment and transportation of animals all animals are transported in a pressurized and temperature controlled aircraft compartment. The temperature in these compartments is the same as the passenger cabin.

This Air NZ employee is talking bollocks or perhaps their approach is to acclimatize your dog to the drafty and icy conditions in the average NZ wooden tent. >:D

We have transported our staffie to Europe and NZ without any problems ( 27800 km in total )
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 08:49:29 am by till23 »

Offline zerohennie

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 01:56:22 am »
 :nosey:
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 09:07:11 pm by zerohennie »